need help with some test questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornflake

Are you saying your review book states that you cannot splice an EGC?

No, sorry for not being clear. I paid $50 to Pearson Vue to revue the questions I got wrong, and it shows the answers I selected. I am going for my second attempt on Wednesday.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Question #3 the answer is #2/0 since the 100 amp information is irrelevant. 230.90(A)

russ

I am studying for a journeyman test and am having a hard time finding these questions and will appreciate any help with these including the article number and reasoning behind this questioning.
1) Requirements for equipment-grounding conductors include all of the following, except:
A)They must be without splices
B)They must not carry objectionable current
C)They must be mechanically connected if spliced
D)They must all connect when entering the same box
(I beleive this to be an oldie but goodie. I have searched all of Art. 250 for the answer. I think this was at one time word per word in the code and at some point was omitted

250.6 eliminates B
250.148 (A) and (C) eliminates C and D

Last edited:

inspector141

Thank you for all your replies, I looked in article 300 as suggested by you fine gentlemen, an found the answer to question number three.
Article 300.9 Raceways in Wet Locations Above Grade.
Answer B) Wet
:grin:
Thanks guys!

Cornflake- In order to apply 300.9, you must first determine if the area is a wet location. If the area above grade is not a wet location, then 300.9 would not apply.
If the location is above grade and not subject to saturation, or in areas protected from rain, etc, then it is not a wet location, but a damp location.
The question as stated is inadequate, because it does not give enough info to make a correct asessment. Having said that, we would have to assume the location is wet if forced to make a decision based on the info we have.

Marty

hurk27

I am studying for a journeyman test and am having a hard time finding these questions and will appreciate any help with these including the article number and reasoning behind this questioning.
1) Requirements for equipment-grounding conductors include all of the following, except:
A)They must be without splices
B)They must not carry objectionable current
C)They must be mechanically connected if spliced
D)They must all connect when entering the same box
(I beleive this to be an oldie but goodie. I have searched all of Art. 250 for the answer. I think this was at one time word per word in the code and at some point was omitted

250.6 eliminates B
250.148 (A) and (C) eliminates C and D

You might want to read 250.6(A) again but more slowly this time

ILP

I might miss #1, but I would think the answer is "D" as that is not always a true statement. Conductors passing thru a box need not be connected.

I agree with Augie.....given the choices, I think answer D is the one one that makes sense, as in my opinion an EGC is not always required to be connected passing thru a box. The remaining choices can all be proven incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.