New 2011 require no more 2 wire outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Now look down 406.4(D) a little further.

(5) Tamper-Resistant Receptacles. Listed tamper resistant receptacles shall be provided where replacements are made at receptacle outlets that are required to be tamper-resistant elsewhere in this Code.

Ken this part is not important since elsewhere in the code gives relief. The 2 wire non grounded receptacle may still be used in 2011 for replacement.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
On a related note (sorry if it's been brought up before - I haven't done a forum search on the topic)... how are these things legal?

adapter_300.jpg

If you have an ungrounded 2-prong receptacle, then there's probably no EGC present in its box. So if you plug that little dingle-wizzy in, and install the receptacle trim screw through the little green metal tab, you're still not grounding anything.

I imagine the instructions that come with one of those things say "Do not install on receptacles with no EGC present" or some such, but every time I see these things at the hardware store, they're just piled into a bin with no packaging or instructions or anything.

Again, sorry if this has been discussed previously. Just baffled by these things.

I have run across a few old houses that are wired with BX, also old commercial installations with emt or BX. Good grounding path? Questionable, but this may be the justification of these before grounding type receptacles were available.

raider1

Staff member
So who makes non-grounding TR receps now?

Nobody, but they are not required in the 2011 NEC.

406.4(D)(5) requires replacement receptacles to be tamper resistance where required elsewhere by the code.

406.12 is the requirement for tamper resistant receptacles and Exception #4 specifically allows the use of 2 wire nongrounding receptacles that are not tamper resistant in accordance with 406.4(D)(2)(a).

Chris

iwire

Staff member
On a related note (sorry if it's been brought up before - I haven't done a forum search on the topic)... how are these things legal?

How is a car that can go 150 MPH legal to sell?

It is up to the operator to use it correctly. :grin:

They are UL listed so they probably have directions somewhere.

3WAYULTAG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.