New format and function not good

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
190814-1541 EDT

On the Axtive Forums page why was name of last poster not included? My notes below answer this question. The real question here should be "why was the last poster not identified as last poster". Information that should be here was not, and information that was present was not correctly identified.

Can't you use something different than "by" to separate the post topic from the name of the topic starter? For example "----" that would provide a visual break.

I would like to see "post reply" the left most in a left justified sequence.

When one points at a tab, the description is displayed in extremely small lettering.

What happened to quote as a function?

"Preview", "Post Reply", "Cancel" should be left justified in my ordering.

On the Active Forums page "Controls & Logic" with "PLC and VFD" below displays "Shunt trip vs interlock" by "Larry Fine" and also Larry Fine's time and date displays. Larry Fine did not start this thread. LincHawk was the starter. Should be displaying the starter of the thread and initial time.

When you enter the "Controls & Logic" page, then "Controls & Logic" is partially overlaid by "PLC and VFD". Here the thread starter is identified as LincHawk, but not the start time and date. Last post time and date are provided, but not the writer of the last post.

Left justify "EDIT".

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
On the list of posts-- at the top of the page you can click NEXT or PREVIOUS; there's no LAST button!

The bottom of the page shows at least 5 buttons; don't know what it shows if there are more... but it needs a LAST button as well.

I looking at
...and I don't see the 'hamburger' menu.

Right above that should be a ribbon that says New Topics, Posts From Last 2 Days, Who's Online....

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I dunno. I just look at the forums on the main page, start from the top, open each forum and scroll through the topics that I see have activity since I last looked. Same as with any other board I'm a member of. I couldn't care less about all the little details of a boards functionality as long as it's reasonably usable.

What I absolutely won't tolerate is is pop-up ads, video ads and ads in general. There are some boards that pack their pages with over 75% ads leaving less than 25% for the posts. I refuse to go to any of them. Complaints to the admins result in "we have to pay the bills". So if you want to complain, thank Mike we don't have any of that first!
And to anybody here on their mobile device. I don't know how you can stand it! :blink:

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Glad I'm not the only one having a difficult experience with the new format. Since some posters are explaining the main problems better than I can, I will just grumble about something trivial:

I really liked seeing members' location under their name

Also, glad it's not as slow as last night

MAC702

Right above that should be a ribbon that says New Topics, Posts From Last 2 Days, Who's Online....

Nope. I have, in a line, not bulleted like the copy/paste did here:
The "Posts..." links take me to a list of posts, NOT threads. So they are organized purely by most recent, in no useful order. I see no way to even go to the next unread post when I do go to a thread that looks interesting or that I know I participated in before.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Both of the features I used most on the old system I can't find.
They were:

-Subscribed Threads

'Today's Posts' is a decent substitute for the first item, but I can only find it on the desktop version, not the mobile.

I also agree that displaying members location was not a trivial feature.

MAC702

...'Today's Posts' is a decent substitute for the first item, but I can only find it on the desktop version, not the mobile.

"Today's Posts" instead of "New Posts" is usually a difference of not being logged in, versus being logged in. I think before I logged in to the downgraded setup, I saw the "Today's Posts" button. Now that I'm logged in, I get neither.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ok, all you guys NEED to say what browser you are using and/or mobile device because I think this is what is causing the problem.

-Hal

Google Chrome, Windows 7 Home Premium, Toshiba Satellite P755 laptop.

Help me, Obi-wan Kenobe; you're my only hope!

win7 pro, firefox 56 (older version) w/ ghostery, adbloc+, noscript.

Problem is that the new UI adds a lot of "features" that it seems most of us don't want and that get in the way of actually using the forum. I know I haven't checked nearly as much as before since I always used the "new things" button and the display was more compact.

ETA- another instance- a "Working" box that appears when you press Save or Post or whatever. We know the posting has happened when the page refreshed, the "working" doesn't convey useful info. IMHO, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.