New format and function not good

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Just keep in mind this is a work in progress and has only been up and running for 1/2 a day. Keep the suggestions coming some will likely be implemented, unfortunately some will not.

It's right after the Controls and Logic Forum.

OK, assuming you have some input, here's what I'd like:

A list of threads (not posts) with new posts.
A list of threads (not posts) that haven't changed since I last logged in.
A marker for each thread I've posted in.

And, a way to make the above viewing experience my default. In other words, some way to make this forum look/feel like the last one.

rlundsrud

It takes waaaaay too long for things to load. I understand concerns about security but couldn't we have used the same basic interface and just fixed the security issues with that. And who beta tested this?? There are more issues than I care to list and many of them have already been pointed out.

Can we please go back to the old interface until you get the bugs worked out. I fear members will stop using this forum if things continue as they are.

rlundsrud

It takes waaaaay too long for things to load. I understand concerns about security but couldn't we have used the same basic interface and just fixed the security issues with that. And who beta tested this?? There are more issues than I care to list and many of them have already been pointed out.

Can we please go back to the old interface until you get the bugs worked out. I fear members will stop using this forum if things continue as they are.

I even got an error when I tried to post this, and that took over a minute just to tell me that.

Samsung S7 using Google chrome

rlundsrud

I even got an error when I tried to post this, and that took several minutes before it displayed this error.

syntax error:
unexpected token error at gson 1

rlundsrud

I even got an error when I tried to post this, and that took several minutes before it displayed this error.

syntax error:
unexpected token G at GSON position 1

rlundsrud

I repeatedly received an error when I tried to post this, and that took several minutes before it displayed this error.

Error while saving content: syntax error:
unexpected token G in JSON at position 1

Aug 15 13:30 CST

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Also receiving:

Error while saving content: SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 2 column 1 of the JSON data

while posting a new message.

Using FireFox 43.0.1 (an old version; newer versions don't work with some of my work software).

Windows 10 Enterprise (2017) 64 bit, x64-based processor

Posting brings up the "Working" tab (while the spinning circle from FireFox is also working). Takes a long time.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's not just a matter of inconvenience. I haven't read or responded to any electrical questions. When I come to the site, I don't know what to do to participate. The only reason I am responding here is because of how important this is to me. The effort has now exceeded the rewards (of which there are none).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You guys work on jobs and have to get things right before you turn the power on. Sometimes it takes awhile. Take a few days off and relax... I don;t understand all the anxiety over this

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You really don't? Then why are you Moderator in Chief?

Why ask us to continue to provide feedback and then ridicule those of us who do?

Our passion for our work and for this forum are related.

The Mods have zero control over this. We (most) don't like the way things are either but we know it's a work in progress. I replied to one of your posts explaining the "Webmaster" is unavailable for a few days but promised to get back to it when he gets back.
We want feedback but we can't answer everything and there no use in getting upset over it.
So please, just make a list of wants, needs, questions, complaints, etc. in a civil manner and we will make sure they are addressed.
If you just can't handle it the way it is now, just stay away for a while and hopefully the Webmaster can correct some things.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If that's what you want, good-bye.

Please email me when there's a reason to return.

larry@fineelectricco.com

Okay, I'll tell you what I would like. A way to come to the forum, see what has been added since my last visit, and respond with questions or answers.

Just like we used to be able to do.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I understand there are bugs. What I don't understand is why nobody is telling us how to navigate the site until then.

Something like "To see all new posts since your last visit in one place, click on xxx, then on yyy, then on zzz."

Better yet, "Go to your member settings and change xxx to yyy." Whoever designed the software must know how.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I understand there are bugs. What I don't understand is why nobody is telling us how to navigate the site until then.

Something like "To see all new posts since your last visit in one place, click on xxx, then on yyy, then on zzz."

Better yet, "Go to your member settings and change xxx to yyy." Whoever designed the software must know how.

As I said, The Webmaster would be the one to help and he is unavailable.
Something you might try is to use Mozilla Firefox and see if it changes things any.
You said you didn't have the "new topics" button/link, that's how I've been navigating.and I use Firefox.
It works but it is still not how it used to work. Hopefully it will be fixed.

BTW, I don't want you or anyone to leave. It probably didn't read right in my posts but all I meant was don't let it upset you, just give it a break until things can be hopefully resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.