Pass or Fail Real Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

It's ok guys. The world is not coming to an end because of this code violation. There are bigger things to get concerned about. This is not one of them. ;)

nakulak

yes, yes it is. The government is keeping it a secret, but the earthquate in Haiti was actually caused by a code violation that was allowed to get completely out of control, all based on their version of the 1987 NEC. In fact, global warming is largely caused by NEC violations, and all will be revealed in a new book that is to be out soon.

19.jpg

Your busload of FAIL has ARRIVED.

Last edited:

mpd

I have done installations that looked the same and luckily for me the inspectors let common sense prevail. :cool:

so is it ok for an inspector to use common sense to fail a job for a violation that is not a code violation, we are required to enforce the NEC.

mivey

so is it ok for an inspector to use common sense to fail a job for a violation that is not a code violation, we are required to enforce the NEC.
No. When in doubt, you must always rule in favor of the EC.

ivsenroute

Since when did we ever see the words "common sense" appear in the NEC?

Either it passes or it does not. There are no in betweens for the convenience of the EC.

peter d

yes, yes it is. The government is keeping it a secret, but the earthquate in Haiti was actually caused by a code violation that was allowed to get completely out of control, all based on their version of the 1987 NEC. In fact, global warming is largely caused by NEC violations, and all will be revealed in a new book that is to be out soon.

LOL. Yeah, I guess you're right. :D

growler

It's ok guys. The world is not coming to an end because of this code violation. There are bigger things to get concerned about. This is not one of them. ;)

It's true that the world will not come to an end because of this code violation but it's true of most violations.

An electrical inspection is not a safety inspection or a functional inspection it really is a "code inspection". Many inspectors may let this sort of thing slide but they are not doing their jobs, this is not a gray area, the code is pretty darn clear about securing those cables.

If an electrical inspection were to be just a matter of opinion and a search for dangerous situations then we could just throw those troublesome code books away.

The reason we have a code book is so that each inspector won't have to give a personal opinion on the correctness of a job. As a matter of fact an inspection doesn't gaurantee that a job is correct at all, it's just that there are no visible code violations ( and this is visible ).

iwire

Staff member

Since when did we ever see the words "common sense" appear in the NEC?

Either it passes or it does not. There are no in betweens for the convenience of the EC.

Many inspectors may let this sort of thing slide but they are not doing their jobs, this is not a gray area, the code is pretty darn clear about securing those cables.

So all three of you think an electrical inspector should be held to a higher standard than say a police officer? Police officers routinely use their judgment and common sense when deciding to enforce a certain law or not.

Police cannot enforce non-existent laws but daily they make judgment calls about enforcing a real laws or not.

So a cop can choose not to enforce a law but you are all saying electrical inspectors have no discretionary authority? I find that illogical. :)

Last edited:

mpd

So all three of you think an electrical inspector should be held to a higher standard than say a police officer? Police officers routinely use their judgment and common sense when deciding to enforce a certain law or not.

Police cannot enforce non-existent laws but daily they make judgment calls about enforcing a real laws or not.

So a cop can choose not to enforce a law but you are all saying electrical inspectors have no discretionary authority? I find that illogical. :)

how would you explain that to a homeowner who expected a code compliant home? and wants that violation fixed, but you already passed the house under the common sense code (which does not exist) if i miss something that's one thing, but i cannot pick & choose what i want to enforce.

ivsenroute

I have been expert witness against other inspectors and contractors on behalf of homeowners. There is no excuse for a non-compiant installation or inspection. Both can cost you money.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

Yeah, but everybody knows that most of the laws on the books are silly. The code, however, is never silly. :cool:

iwire

Staff member
how would you explain that to a homeowner who expected a code compliant home? and wants that violation fixed, but you already passed the house under the common sense code (which does not exist) if i miss something that's one thing, but i cannot pick & choose what i want to enforce.

OK you must live in a perfect world, I live in a real one. :)

iwire

Staff member
I have been expert witness against other inspectors and contractors on behalf of homeowners. There is no excuse for a non-compiant installation or inspection. Both can cost you money.

So you always, absolutely go by the book 100% every time?

I find that disingenuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.