Preforming my first live service changeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobhook149

Preforming my first live service changeout in massachusetts. Normally do work in NH where the utility takes care of the hook-up. Any recommendations or specific procedures you would recommend?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
First thinks first- pull the main breaker or fuses and then pull the meter. Cut each wire carefully at the weatherhead so that you have a little extra from the utility.

I then hook my ungrounded conductors saving my grounded one for last. Install meter and turn it on.

Does the utility not come back and make a compression connection on the joints you make? They do here after it has been inspected.

mcclary's electrical

First thinks first- pull the main breaker or fuses and then pull the meter. Cut each wire carefully at the weatherhead so that you have a little extra from the utility.

I then hook my ungrounded conductors saving my grounded one for last. Install meter and turn it on.

Does the utility not come back and make a compression connection on the joints you make? They do here after it has been inspected.

Dennis, IMO this is backwards and dangerous

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Dennis, IMO this is backwards and dangerous

I agree with Dennis. Since the grounded conductor is bare it's best to bend it far out of the way when you're working on the energized ungrounded conductors. Once they're spliced and insulated, then connect the grounded conductor.

mcclary's electrical

I agree with Dennis. Since the grounded conductor is bare it's best to bend it far out of the way when you're working on the energized ungrounded conductors. Once they're spliced and insulated, then connect the grounded conductor.

And leaves you, yourself vulnerable to becoming the neutral and being shocked. The reason I do it the opposite is, two connections are dangerous, Dennis's way, all three connections are dangerous. (Even with main off, the electronic meters alone draw enough power to shock you through the grounded conductor.

bob

bob

I always shut down all the breakers then the main. then whack the overheads near the existing splice. retro fit panel. hope you did some planning ahead of time (surface,flush, if mounting over existing flushmount will branch circuits reach new breakers blah blah blah, new groundrod if needed sometimes need two min 6 ft apart min, check that with dept buil and safe. best of luck to you, after a few youll do them blindfolded! fast money bro.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
This is exactly why I do it last. Thanks Trevor.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
And leaves you, yourself vulnerable to becoming the neutral and being shocked. The reason I do it the opposite is, two connections are dangerous, Dennis's way, all three connections are dangerous. (Even with main off, the electronic meters alone draw enough power to shock you through the grounded conductor.
All three are not dangerous. They are potentially dangerous. Just take the potential out of it. It is easier to loose one wire and have it accidentally touch the bare neutral that is right in the way.

My method is by no means the only way. Whatever suits your fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.