Preforming my first live service changeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobhook149

I ve got a few things for ya dont do it , get some one who knows what they are doing from what i see you dont and your an app. not something to be done on your own any IMO. also not sure about the east coast but here in illinois we dont touch any thing top side of meter to pole unless it is over head drop then we set riser and run wire through whether head poco dose terms and determs big fines here. hate to see some one hurt exspecially apprentices just my feelings.

What is wrong w/ some of you... yes I'm an apprentice. I'm doing this with my company as a learning experience as i will probably have to do it on my own one day. It will be supervised and i will be guided through it. Just asking for advise. I did post this under continuing education right? :confused:

iwire

Staff member
What is wrong w/ some of you... yes I'm an apprentice. I'm doing this with my company as a learning experience as i will probably have to do it on my own one day. It will be supervised and i will be guided through it. Just asking for advise. I did post this under continuing education right? :confused:

Nothing is wrong, people are just telling you things you do not want to hear.

Check this out and see what you think.

It applies to you.
OSHA 1910.333(a)(1)

"Deenergized parts." Live parts to which an employee may be exposed shall be deenergized before the employee works on or near them, unless the employer can demonstrate that deenergizing introduces additional or increased hazards or is infeasible due to equipment design or operational limitations. Live parts that operate at less than 50 volts to ground need not be deenergized if there will be no increased exposure to electrical burns or to explosion due to electric arcs.
If your employer has you do this he is choosing to ignore this rule and place you at risk. Is it common practice? Sure is in many areas but it is starting to change.

Do what you choose to do but you should at least know about the rules you are breaking.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, you could die.

Student who suffered shock remains in critical condition

ty

So do not read the thread that frustrates you. :)
no. it's not the thread.

Does that make it any less dangerous?
Where have I said it is not potentially dangerous?

Does that make it any less of a costly OSHA fine if someone was to get caught?
nope.

Perhaps you could start sending the safety person at the local power company the OSHA sections?
That's not my concern.
How about I start sending info to OSHA of people who have addmitted doing this task?
see:
I am also 'trained' it is still a direct OSHA violation. Have I done it? Sure of course I have, many times.

It does not make it right and a newbie should be presented with all the facts. We should not be telling newbies that hot work is expected of them, that starts them off in the wrong direction just like you and I where.
Where have I stated it was expected of the OP?
I think I said if he is an apprentice, he shouldn't be doing this.

But you see no reason to try to lower the count?
how so?

Why not let them run their course and let newbies see there are many differing opinions about hot work.
this has become pointless.

mivey

...but wanting people to make it home at night is not a bad thing...
I know what you are saying, but the lineman wants to get back home too. If someone doesn't feel they can do this type work, then they have no business doing it.

Volta

I know what you are saying, but the lineman wants to get back home too.
True, but using a hook stick 25' from the fuse is a bit safer than the live connection being contemplated.
If someone doesn't feel they can do this type work, then they have no business doing it.
Also true, but if the OP is going to do this, he was wise to ask for advice first. Many of us have done these, felt we could, but some of us are dead now too. Just sayin' :roll:.

Dom99

For what it's worth. I tie the ladder off to the bracket. I wear a safety belt attached to the ladder so I can stand a feel supported when working with both hands.

Use a rubber sheet, rubber mat or snake and plastic spring clamps to cover the acsr, and any aluminum spouting and guttering to prevent accidental contact from tools or you. My brother doesn't want to buy a battery operated press so I have to us an MD-6 tool and I don't look pretty trying closing the handles.
I was always taught to always connect the neutral first and cover it with the above rubber. I use H taps, rubber and plastic tape. If using aluminum wire be sure to brush it.

That what I do, but then what the heck do I know.

mcclary's electrical

Dennis' way is exactly how it should be done.

That's why I asked in an earlier post how the OP was going to do it.

Now, if the power co requires temp or permanent re-connect, depends on how to do it.
We always use H-Taps. even for temp hook-ups.
They are a permanent connection and, unlike the use of tomic connectors, they won't be loose until the permanent re-connect is done.

Some Power Co's here require a permanent reconnect (with H-Taps, not Fargos), while others will change whatever taps you install (even if you use H-Taps), and others will not allow you to do the re-connect.

I will state that if You (the OP) are an apprentice, You should NOT be doing this yourself.

I think this is a matter of opinion, and let's just say it's not what I see the power company do around here, they land the grounded conductor first. Second, I wanna make it clear that I've cut a few, but I always call for a reconnect. I was merely commenting on "what if" I actually did this, I would mimmick what I see the power company do.

PetrosA

Our local POCO also expects the electrician to make the connection.

Is that in violation of OSHA regulations? Yes.
Is it a fact of life? Yes.
Should the owner of the company come out to jobs and do hook-up? Yes.
Does he? No.
Should the employees be provided with full safety kit? Yes. (This is real negligence IMO on the part of the owner)
Should the POCO(s) provide training for this type of work? Absolutely.

I don't understand how something this dangerous can be treated so nonchalantly by the POCOs, but it is. I honestly can't say whether statistically it's any more dangerous than driving back and forth to the job but at least we have to go through some kind of driver's ed training to get a driver's license. How many of us have received any kind of formal training in reconnecting a hot service?

iwire

Staff member
Should the employees be provided with full safety kit? Yes. (This is real negligence IMO on the part of the owner)

Yes, but providing PPE for a job that is against the rules makes it a 'willful violation' In other words you knew it was wrong but you did it anyway.

I honestly can't say whether statistically it's any more dangerous than driving back and forth to the job

There is not much choice in driving to work, there are other options for doing live work if the power company was willing.

Status
Not open for further replies.