Quality Work II

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

I wonder if GT could put it in like that just as fast as someone who doesn't concern themselves with it. I bet he can (or awfuly darn close).

I really tend to doubt it, but I could be wrong. There is a direct correlation between neatness and time consumed.

During my apprenticeship I worked for an EC that wired new homes exclusively (this was during the housing boom of course.) I learned that speed is the primary thing matters in new residential work as long as you can do a passable code compliant job. I still abide by the mentality today. :)

hardworkingstiff

I really tend to doubt it, but I could be wrong. There is a direct correlation between neatness and time consumed.

During my apprenticeship I worked for an EC that wired new homes exclusively (this was during the housing boom of course.) I learned that speed is the primary thing matters in new residential work as long as you can do a passable code compliant job. I still abide by the mentality today. :)

I had that T-shirt (misplaced it). If you do the fast and cheap work, you'll mostly have cheap customers. If you do it extra neat and pretty fast, I think your customers will be an upgrade you will enjoy. It's nice when you don't lose a job over a couple of hundred dollars because you have the reputation of being worth it.

peter d

I had that T-shirt (misplaced it). If you do the fast and cheap work, you'll mostly have cheap customers. If you do it extra neat and pretty fast, I think your customers will be an upgrade you will enjoy. It's nice when you don't lose a job over a couple of hundred dollars because you have the reputation of being worth it.

I don't disagree, except where you put "extra neat" and "pretty fast" together. I believe those are mutually exclusive.

To me, it all boils down to the type of job and the budget. We've had this discussion before. A spec house calls for fast and cheap and I'll gladly deliver that. A custom house may have a different set of requirements.

hardworkingstiff

I don't disagree, except where you put "extra neat" and "pretty fast" together. I believe those are mutually exclusive.

To me, it all boils down to the type of job and the budget. We've had this discussion before. A spec house calls for fast and cheap and I'll gladly deliver that. A custom house may have a different set of requirements.

Agreed Peter, I'll strive for the different set of requirements.

(edited for corrected meaning)

ohm

You do nice work, but I wish I could stick a tape measure over that panel and see how far the farthest staple is. :D

View attachment 2580

Well, I talked a guy into taking a picture of my first panel of the morning with his cellphone. It didn't turn out real well on two different fronts - one, the picture sucked, and two, the foreman walked around the corner right as he was taking it, got ticked off that he was messing around, and made him dig for five hours. I'm buying him breakfast tomorrow for getting him in trouble. I'll try to sneak a decent camera in tomorrow. :D

Edit to add: I was 30 minutes short of eight panels in eight hours. If I had started directly on it first thing this morning I would have made it.

A panel an hour and the boss was ticked? Sounds like a trip back back to sensitivity training is in order. Great work!

StreamlineGT

george stolz said:
Originally Posted by George Stolz
You do nice work, but I wish I could stick a tape measure over that panel and see how far the farthest staple is.

As long as I have been an electrician, I have never been cited for not having staples close to the panel. I don't know why, but never have.

To answer all of your questions, I usually work like Stickboy, T&M. Must be a CT thing. The outdoor install was a freebie, so I'll take as long as I want, and they will like it. It was more for me than them. The inside panel was a quoted job on a modular. It was an easy job, and I was making good time. I am not out to make a quick buck. If there is time left on the job, I'll spend it on that job, making it as neat as possible.

76nemo

GT, that's a nice install all the way around. Like I said, it's clear you take pride in your work. Keep it up, your work looks above and beyond. Nicely done partner;)

Status
Not open for further replies.