Quality Work II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Larry, super nice work, very clean. I don't like the NM sleeves though. Were you raised that way? I am just curious, and very respectful. Have you always done that? It's just different than what I am used to seeing. Please don't think I am judging your work,...please!

Just curious:smile:
No offense taken again. :smile:

No, I haven't always done it, but when troubleshooting, it's a lot easier than having to pick up a heavy panel cover to check the breaker schedule, then count down the column to find breakers.

It's the same piece of sheath I write the circuit name on when roughing in. I cut that piece out when stripping and slide it over the ungrounded conductor, or both for 2-poles, AFCI's, and GFCI's.

Another reason: it makes it easier to tell the wire size at a glance for breaker count when heading to the store for breakers for trim-out.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Homeline? and you say you aren't a hack...LIAR!....:D
Yes, I say I'm not a hack. Not that saying it proves anthing. :cool: Actually, from what I've read, SqD and CH use the same guts in both of their lines of breakers; only the contacts and cases are different.

This house was custom designed by the owner, and he acted as his own GC. He told me I was the only trade on the job that passed any inspection on the first call, and I passed all of them first go-around.

I also did the computer networking, phone wiring, DirecTV-coax wiring, speaker/AV stuff, etc. In fact, I even laid out the entire lighting design with his input, including the hard wiring for remote/automation.

I have a bunch of pics from that job. I should make a page of links. Anyone have a round tuit they can spare?

Security101

So what's wrong with the sleeves?
DSCF0249.JPG

I've used them...

DSCF0054

Jim

electricmanscott

So what's wrong with the sleeves?
DSCF0249.JPG

I've used them...

DSCF0054

Jim

Why the ty wraps in the first pic?

Why do you leave extra wire before terminating in the second pic? I see that alot and I always wonder why.

I to the sleeve thing too. It does come in handy. Is that lug with the gec rated for two #4?

Regardless of what we think here, nice job.

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
It's the same piece of sheath I write the circuit name on when roughing in.
That's the same way I do it, when I need to. I don't like to hang on to the tags for anything but a large house, it usually adds more time hanging on to the tags than it would take later to have two guys create a panel schedule by calling out, IMO.

The foreman of the job I'm on now wants to adhere to the print's panel schedule, so I am keeping the tags on the small apartment's panels I'm roughing in today.

electricmanscott said:
Why do you leave extra wire before terminating in the second pic? I see that alot and I always wonder why.
I see that every now and then too, I'm not a fan of the technique, but this example is cleaner than most. The reason I heard when I asked the fellow doing that way here was it was to add a little wire for changing the panel out, or to make up for mistakes/changes inside the panel. I don't find it worth the time, and am not fond of the look, IMO.

I run my conductors to the screws farther from the cable entrance to the panel to help with that. For example, cables from the topside of the panel land on the bottom of the neutral bar.

76nemo

My turn, even though I said I wouldn't. Here's the latest one.

IMG_4644R.jpg

a temp I did.

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

Wasn't this the one we saw a little while back for a temporary outdoor event? Whatever it was for, it sure darn well is nice work:wink: I really like seeing people take that pride in their work, that's a nice job GT.

StreamlineGT

Wasn't this the one we saw a little while back for a temporary outdoor event? Whatever it was for, it sure darn well is nice work:wink: I really like seeing people take that pride in their work, that's a nice job GT.

you're right, I forgot I posted that. oops

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
You do nice work, but I wish I could stick a tape measure over that panel and see how far the farthest staple is. :D

View attachment 2580

Well, I talked a guy into taking a picture of my first panel of the morning with his cellphone. It didn't turn out real well on two different fronts - one, the picture sucked, and two, the foreman walked around the corner right as he was taking it, got ticked off that he was messing around, and made him dig for five hours. I'm buying him breakfast tomorrow for getting him in trouble. I'll try to sneak a decent camera in tomorrow. :D

Edit to add: I was 30 minutes short of eight panels in eight hours. If I had started directly on it first thing this morning I would have made it.

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
After he showed me the picture on his phone, I wondered if that was the cloud of smoke following me - I had just walked from stage right to left to grab a handful of breakers. :D

I think it was just that his camera lens was scuffed. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.