Quality Work II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
This looks a lot better, the electrician took the time to make it neat without with out wasting time.

staples1.jpg

That's neat? No wonder I'm losing money. I'm doing custom work for spec pay.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Cool. Post pictures. That stuff does sorta smell like paint too.

there is a thread lube called lead plate, that works the same as red lead.
you'll usually see red lead pipe dope around steamfitters. it's still used for
live steam, lead or not.

the conductivity issue of pipe dope is solved neatly by the use of copperplate, a commercial anti sieze product....

http://www.antiseize.com/index.htm?bycatgry.htm

Copper Plate contains no lead, graphite, or aluminum and has a synthetic,
non-melting carrier. This formula includes high concentration of pure copper
flakes aided by special carriers and inhibitors. This combination will protect,
lubricate, and fight corrosion while enhancing electrical conductivity.

Features and Benefits:
? Withstands extreme weather conditions
? "Copper plates" mating surfaces
? Enhances and protects most electrical connections
? Withstands temperatures to 1800?F (982?C)
? Recommended for stainless steel applications above 550?F (288?C)
? Resists seizing and galling
? Highly water resistant

StreamlineGT

For those who ask why more people don't post pictures of their work here, this thread is you answer.

Exactly my thoughts as well. I have plenty of nice panels and branch circuits, but only one of them made it to these pages. It didn't receive any criticism, but no praise either.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Many are surface mounted. Some are not. Some come with templates to mount your boxes in, some you just have to measure really well. Some you're just matching an elevation drawing, and it's not really a "system" type.

a very nice headwall.... all color coded by systems...

and yeah, if you don't measure very well, when the
patient headwall unit shows up, your life is going to suck. :-(
if i've got a lot of stuff like this to do, my preference is to set
up a laser on a tripod..... once, when faced with three floors of
a hospital to do, we made up a template, out of 1/4" hardboard,
3 sheets 4'x8', with everything laid out perfectly, marked, and cut
out. it sped it up wonderfully. tack the boards up with pan headed
teks, and have at the wall....

ITO

The only problem with your opinion is that larry could be the slowest guy in town and the first picture could have only taken 3 hours where the bottom picture still could have taken 8 hours... It really does not matter what it looks like but how long it actually took. JMO....

Yeah the problem is this is a form for "Electrical Contracting and Estimating/Management" and guys with a similar opinion to mine get the work for the "right" price and guys who don't, come here and complain that nobody wants to pay for quality work. (Don't take that the wrong way, I am not necessarily taking a jab at you.) I see the point you were trying to make but if the fast guy does work that neat, then how fast would be be if he did well enough to meet 110.12 and nothing more? He would be a real money maker and probably of foreman pretty damn fast.

At the end of the day those of us that run a business not only worry about how we are going to stay in business but how we keep the people that work for us and and count on us gainfully employed. I can certainly appreciate the skill and focus it takes to run romex in prefect lines, bent and landed just so, but that much labor was never figured into the bid and while the HO and GC may love it, somebody had to pay for it and it was probably the EC.

I agree, not my cup of tea install, but if the guy got paid for it, good for him.

The Electrician probably did get paid for it, but did it come out of the ECs pocket?

quogueelectric

Yeah the problem is this is a form for "Electrical Contracting and Estimating/Management" and guys with a similar opinion to mine get the work for the "right" price and guys who don't, come here and complain that nobody wants to pay for quality work. (Don't take that the wrong way, I am not necessarily taking a jab at you.) I see the point you were trying to make but if the fast guy does work that neat, then how fast would be be if he did well enough to meet 110.12 and nothing more? He would be a real money maker and probably of foreman pretty damn fast.

At the end of the day those of us that run a business not only worry about how we are going to stay in business but how we keep the people that work for us and and count on us gainfully employed. I can certainly appreciate the skill and focus it takes to run romex in prefect lines, bent and landed just so, but that much labor was never figured into the bid and while the HO and GC may love it, somebody had to pay for it and it was probably the EC.

The Electrician probably did get paid for it, but did it come out of the ECs pocket?
ECs dont have pockets they are too broke to own pockets.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes to me that is a much smarter install. Not as neaty neat but a B+. You can tell that guy didnt have to fuss as much as the guy that turned it into a new wallpaper in another thread or the Vo Tech one.
Thanx. I'm "that guy." :cool: This is in a basement made with pre-made concrete foundation walls.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is that Styrofoam insulation behind the panel and the wires? I thought that Styrofoam insulation had to be covered with drywall.
The foam panels are part of the pre-cast foundation, along with the 1x2 wood edges on the ribs, one of which is visible to the right of the panel.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Tomorrow I am going to go as fast as I can on panels, I have eight to do and my big mouth might have made the erroneous claim that I could get them done in eight hours. I will take pictures. :D

After the words left my mouth, I realized that my best time was 1:05 from start to finish, at about 45?. Tomorrow morning it will be 25? at 7am, and maybe reach the high of 50? predicted by quitting time. Subtract breaks and running after breakers/zip ties/RCR-50s, and I'm in big trouble. :D

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I like the new isolation flanges that Watts came out with a few years ago. Makes changing the circulators much quicker and less messy. Much less air in the system too.
Are you referring to magnetically-coupled impellers? No water leaks when the motor is removed?

76nemo

Tomorrow I am going to go as fast as I can on panels, I have eight to do and my big mouth might have made the erroneous claim that I could get them done in eight hours. I will take pictures. :D

After the words left my mouth, I realized that my best time was 1:05 from start to finish, at about 45?. Tomorrow morning it will be 25? at 7am, and maybe reach the high of 50? predicted by quitting time. Subtract breaks and running after breakers/zip ties/RCR-50s, and I'm in big trouble. :D

LOL:D A good man will own up to wrong commitments. I do it all the time. "Yeah, sure, be over there and gone in an hour and a half." Three hours later, I am still there. So much for that estimate. That's why I let you guys do installs. I am too green to make a living out of it. It's not my liking. I'd rather do service. I'd rather be behind a meter than behind a wrench. You guys/gals are the pro's. You install it, I'll come back years later down the road;)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This looks a lot better, the electrician took the time to make it neat without with out wasting time.

staples1.jpg

The only problem with your opinion is that larry could be the slowest guy in town and the first picture could have only taken 3 hours where the bottom picture still could have taken 8 hours... It really does not matter what it looks like but how long it actually took. JMO....
No offense taken. :D

Actually, I pride myself on working quickly while still being neat enough without being anal about it. Here's a better view of the panels themselves:

Before breakers:

KwPanels1.jpg

After breakers:

KwPanels2.jpg

Here's a close-up of one of them:

Panel5.jpg

Believe me, I've watched others make up panels; I'm not slow by any means. It takes no longer to do it neatly, in my opinion.

76nemo

Actually, I pride myself on working quickly while still being neat enough without being anal about it. Here's a better view of the panels themselves:

Before breakers:

KwPanels1.jpg

After breakers:

KwPanels2.jpg

Panel5.jpg

Believe me, I've watched others make up panels; I'm not slow by any means. It takes no longer to do it neatly, in my opinion.

Larry, super nice work, very clean. I don't like the NM sleeves though. Were you raised that way? I am just curious, and very respectful. Have you always done that? It's just different than what I am used to seeing. Please don't think I am judging your work,...please!

Just curious:smile:

emahler

Before breakers:

KwPanels1.jpg

After breakers:

KwPanels2.jpg

Panel5.jpg

Homeline? and you say you aren't a hack...LIAR!....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.