Quality Work II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

I left the bend radius alone.

*No outside GFCI receptacle within 25' of AC Condensing unit.
*Black Manifold gas pipe lacked bonding with #6 due to CSST.
*Cables not properly secured within 12" of devices/main panel.

a few other small things that I forgot

alfiesauce

My wife was looking over my shoulder when I opened this thread and her first reaction was "What??? Why did they do that? It looks like abstract art!"

I would not be happy with an employee who did this, let alone to someone who did it in my home, what a waste of space.

ohm

I left the bend radius alone.

*No outside GFCI receptacle within 25' of AC Condensing unit.
*Black Manifold gas pipe lacked bonding with #6 due to CSST.
*Cables not properly secured within 12" of devices/main panel.

a few other small things that I forgot

Would you bring up other issues you forgot or pass the job if the ones you cited were corrected?

wireguru

Let's stay on topic here and enjoy some photos of good work:

This one impressed me that I recently inspected:

ProPanel.JPG

that gets a big 'MEH' from me. The coax and purple cable (cat5?) should have gone to its own backboard, and is too short. All that romex is exposed to a ton of potential physical damage as the pike of crap in the room this is in starts to grow, and the OSB covering the PEX water lines is going to have large nails driven through it to hold brooms and stuff, puncturing a water line.

growler

I spoke with the electrician and the builder who hires him requires this kind of work and QO panels. Thinks it makes everyone look more professional. Space is not a concern.

Everyone has their own idea of what is professional. If I counted the circuits right they have a 40 position panel with all spaces filled.

I like to think that I could sell a sub panel in a case like this ( unfinished basement), I could set a 100 Amp sub panel over to the side and bring everything in from the top and still have a few spaces open and use less room. Not to mention making a couple extra bucks. The owner will love it when the figure out they need a couple of spare spaces.

We all have different opinions of professional. I will have to go with the not useing up to much space crowd. This guy's work looks good but it's more for show than for function. Neat work that you don't see so much of is more functional.

CopperTone

I think that looks rediculous. I would be pissed at my guy for wasting so much time doing that - and wasting space

It looks like there are multiple places where there are 3 wires under 1 staple also.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think that looks rediculous. I would be pissed at my guy for wasting so much time doing that - and wasting space

It looks like there are multiple places where there are 3 wires under 1 staple also.

I see nothing wrong with taking the time to do a quality installation which this is. How much time would be saved by slopping the work in? I agree about the wasted space however.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To me, it looks like the electrician pulled the OSB covers off of the plumbing manifolds to the right and copied what he saw.

ivsenroute

Would you bring up other issues you forgot or pass the job if the ones you cited were corrected?

The 3 items were corrected and the job passed.

If we nitpick we can fail every single job for BS but lets be reasonable and look at what are real issues.

Lack of bonding: Big issue, needs correction

Too tight a bend radius: Not a significant issue

tonyou812

Is it just my eyes or do I see three romexes under one staple?
I personally I think this looks ridiculous. But its probably just me. I like to make it more compact. and neat looking. This looks like something you might see on the wall at Vo Tech or something. All its missing is little note cards next to each wire telling you what its doing.
I swear that's three wires coming out of the GFCI under the same staple

the plumbing manifold on the other hand looks brilliant. the plumber didnt take up 4 feet of wood space with pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.