Re identification of neutral wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Theres no thing as a neutral wire
The NEC requires the grounded conductor to be white, or grey.

The NEC specifically defines a grounded conductor including:
The grounded conductor of a 2 wire system (like the negative conductor in a DC circuit)
The corner grounded conductor on a delta system (like a grounded B phase)
The grounded conductor connected to the neutral point of a system (like theNEC definition for a neutral conductor).

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
IMO not being able to reidentify 6 and smaller as white is a dumb rule. This is America dammit and I will decide!
I dont see nothing wrong with but no one can tell me why 6awg was chosen and more importantly how is this a safety issue between 6awg and 4

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
The NEC requires the grounded conductor to be white, or grey.

The NEC specifically defines a grounded conductor including:
The grounded conductor of a 2 wire system (like the negative conductor in a DC circuit)
The corner grounded conductor on a delta system (like a grounded B phase)
The grounded conductor connected to the neutral point of a system (like theNEC definition for a neutral conductor).
Now tell me where it states theres no such wire as a neutral wire

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I dont see nothing wrong with but no one can tell me why 6awg was chosen and more importantly how is this a safety issue between 6awg and 4
I think it has to do with availability of conductors. In the past white conductors larger than 6 were not regularly available

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
No the codes finding should come from research and test not someones feeling. So why 6awg . There has to be a reason

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As to why taping a white wire is taboo is simply to avoid a case of misidentification, especially if the marking is just at the end of the conductor

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Theres no thing as a neutral wire
How about "There is no such thing as a neutral wire. There are only wires that are used as the neutral conductor of a circuit."?
Until you connect it, it is not a neutral. :)
In addition, in most cases when a neutral exists the NEC requires that it be grounded.
But not all neutrals are grounded, and no all grounded conductors are neutrals.

Last edited:

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
Why not use color wire . Where im getting at is this the code book sometime changes its own rule accommodate certain parties as long as is still safe its like lobbying.

No the codes finding should come from research and test not someones feeling. So why 6awg . There has to be a reason
Why was 1/0 chosen as the minimum parallel size? Why was 10 foot chosen for the tap rule? Why was 6 chosen for the 6 handle rule? although you can probably conclude that going over a given quantity or length would pose an increased hazard for some reason,. Choosing where to draw the line is pretty much going to be arbitrary.

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
I think it has to do with availability of conductors. In the past white conductors larger than 6 were not regularly available
What does that have to do with safety. One can make the availability argument with just about anything

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
How about "There is no such thing as a neutral wire. There are only wires that are used as the neutral conductor of a circuit."?
Until you connect it, it is not a neutral. :)
In addition, in most cases when a neutral exists the NEC requires that it be grounded.
But not all neutrals are grounded, and no all grounded conductors are neutrals.
Perfect.

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
I didnt know the new was in the business of determining whats more cost effective. Where in article 90 is that stated?

I didnt know the new was in the business of determining whats more cost effective. Where in article 90 is that stated?
With AFCI they definitely demonstrated they do not care About cost vs benefit......

Clearly though a standard takes into account cost vs benefit. If not the NEC would only allow rigid, there would be no tap rules, no next size up rule, and everything would be 12 volts. If they were strictly concerned about safety with no concern for cost, why not?

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
With AFCI they definitely demonstrated they do not care About cost vs benefit......

Clearly though a standard takes into account cost vs benefit. If not the NEC would only allow rigid, there would be no tap rules, no next size up rule, and everything would be 12 volts. If they were strictly concerned about safety with no concern for cost, why not?
Tap rules has science and test to back up their theory. Im still trying to find out why 6awg vs4awg thats it. And no i dont want to hear it was someones opinion since everything else gets tested before passing

Status
Not open for further replies.