Re identification of neutral wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tap rules has science and test to back up their theory. Im still trying to find out why 6awg vs4awg thats it. And no i dont want to hear it was someones opinion since everything else gets tested before passing
Logically there is a reason to limit the length of a tap, but I doubt there is science and testing that pointed to 10 feet instead of 12 feet.

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
You have do the math. Whats in the code book is the result of the test. Look at mike holts understanding the nec 240.21

look at the main ocpd the wire size length of wire and do the calculation
I don't think there is anything to calculate. The Taps are kept short so they are less likely to suffer physical damage. Short length may result in quicker clearing time and less conductor heating during a fault, but I don't think that is a significant factor in the range of 10's of feet. It's much more about keeping a fault from happening at all. The 1/3 and 1/10th values might be based on some conductor heating and fault current handling ability.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't think there is anything to calculate. The Taps are kept short so they are less likely to suffer physical damage. Short length may result in quicker clearing time and less conductor heating during a fault, but I don't think that is a significant factor in the range of 10's of feet.
This is more than likely the case. Outside taps can be of unlimited length.

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
I don't think there is anything to calculate. The Taps are kept short so they are less likely to suffer physical damage. Short length may result in quicker clearing time and less conductor heating during a fault, but I don't think that is a significant factor in the range of 10's of feet. It's much more about keeping a fault from happening at all. The 1/3 and 1/10th values might be based on some conductor heating and fault current handling ability.
Ok have a nice day

No the codes finding should come from research and test not someones feeling.
Believe me, I complain all the time about the NEC coming up with requirements that are not based on statistics nor a history of problems. But I also realize there is just not going to be data on some of these things and the code writers had to draw the line somewhere and essentially guess.

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
Believe me, I complain all the time about the NEC coming up with requirements that are not based on statistics nor a history of problems. But I also realize there is just not going to be data on some of these things and the code writers had to draw the line somewhere and essentially guess.
And find but these books that explain the nec should explain this and not just make a statement

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
And find but these books that explain the nec should explain this and not just make a statement
It seems like you have all the answers but I promise you, you don't. There are reason for many things in the code and because we may not know what they are doesn't mean that there is no reason. I agree the white wire rule is strange but it may have been put there for some reason years ago and now it remains.

If you think all the nec stuff is bogus then I invite you to come up with some substantiated changes and make comments to the nfpa for the next code cycle.

We all can complain about some of the rules and sometimes it does seem ridiculous but there is only one way to deal with it and that is to make a code change which anyone is welcome to propose.

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
It seems like you have all the answers but I promise you, you don't. There are reason for many things in the code and because we may not know what they are doesn't mean that there is no reason. I agree the white wire rule is strange but it may have been put there for some reason years ago and now it remains.

If you think all the nec stuff is bogus then I invite you to come up with some substantiated changes and make comments to the nfpa for the next code cycle.

We all can complain about some of the rules and sometimes it does seem ridiculous but there is only one way to deal with it and that is to make a code change which anyone is welcome to propose.
I dont have all the answers thats why i asked the question. I never said the nec is bogus so re read my post and understand what you are reading before putting words in my mouth. I’ll like to know if im doing something what was the train of thought they had to reach this conclusion so i can understand why things are one way as oppose to another. I dont care what rules the nec comes up with, i really dont. Their job is to make the rules mine is to install as per those rules...... that doesnt mean i can ask why. The problem with the electrical industry is people dont know the WHY. This industry is an industry of installers not electricians we will never be better if we dont ask why

Status
Not open for further replies.