Since recessed lights have inaccessible connections, how do they pass code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

When installing recessed lighting in new construction, they nail the housings to the joists using the metal bars, then connect the wiring in the built-in junction box. However, when the ceiling is closed with drywall (especially on the main floor of a colonial house with no access above), the junction boxes and connections become inaccessible. How do they get around the requirement where all connections must be accessible? How is this any different from covering up an ordinary junction box with drywall?

raider1

Staff member
One thing to keep in mind is that some of these cans can't be installed in spray foam insulation due to the fact that the insulation will stick to the can and not permit you to get to the j-box.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
One thing to keep in mind is that some of these cans can't be installed in spray foam insulation due to the fact that the insulation will stick to the can and not permit you to get to the j-box.

Chris

They did that on one of my jobs. I found out during the trim out. Boy was I mad. :)

Jim W in Tampa

Ah yes, 4" cans are my favorite!:grin:

Without the means to get at the box we would find it very hard to make customers happy that have no attic.

Personally i dislike cans and think they are ugly.
Anyone here doing new homes recently ? Are they still wanting cans ? I have not done a house in over 6 years. Thought it down right stupid for a dining room over the table but customer is always right.

mivey

Without the means to get at the box we would find it very hard to make customers happy that have no attic.

Personally i dislike cans and think they are ugly.
Anyone here doing new homes recently ? Are they still wanting cans ? I have not done a house in over 6 years. Thought it down right stupid for a dining room over the table but customer is always right.
Yes they are still in demand. Even dining room table with cans and chandelier.

Personally, I like the cans in some locations.

Jim W in Tampa

That might be painful.:grin:

I need new key board , it been acting up

Will say you only make the mistake once as clean up can be real pain.
Often the reason your pulling can down is because this insulation is causing the light to go on and off with the thermal. Insulators simply do not care. Personally seen a house burn partly do to them adding blown in insulation. They hire ID 10 T to do the work and have no idea what codes they break.

mivey

Will say you only make the mistake once as clean up can be real pain.
and hopefully the owners won't be back till you clean it up.

I stepped through a ceiling once and was able to apologize to the owner & my boss as they looked up at me through hole left by the dangling sheetrock (~ 1/2 sheet). It is amazing how much coverage you can get on some carpet and furniture with just a little insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.