Single Phase current draw for a 3 phase output VFD: technical discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingenieur

If the caps are not 'visible' to the ac supply how are they charged?
if we replace the diode with an idealized switch isn't it 'on line' when the switch is closed, ie, diode conducting?

Last edited:

Besoeker

If the caps are not 'visible' to the ac supply how are they charged?
Unlike PFC, unidirectional current flow. DC if you wish.
And, unlike PFC, it doesn't return its energy to the supply.

They serve two totally different functions.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member

The main purposes are different, yes. But a capacitor is going to perform as a capacitor no matter what its general purpose is, and that is the part which you do not want to concede. You are even saying the proper words to prove it: "...it doesn't return its energy to the supply."

Ingenieur

No
a portion does
still a reactive load on the grid during conduction period
and therefore improves power factor

if not there supply current will increase

Besoeker

The main purposes are different, yes. But a capacitor is going to perform as a capacitor no matter what its general purpose is, and that is the part which you do not want to concede. You are even saying the proper words to prove it: "...it doesn't return its energy to the supply."
The DC cap bank doesn't - at least to seem to understand that bit. It justn't do what PFC does with a direct across the line motor. That's what you and Ing can't seem to, don't want to grasp.

Let me ask you both a question. You have a dozen VFDs on a process line, powers from 100kW to 400kW. They are all fed from a common DC buss. How does altering the VFD capacitor bank affect the power factor in such a case? Can you at least begin so see the disparity?

Ing posted a link (#post#249 I think) from a VFD manufacturer. It has errors about power factor correction - clearly not written by someone with design level understanding. The trouble is that such disinformation is accepted as the gospel truth by some. And that saddens me.

"The moving finger writes........"

Ingenieur

The DC cap bank doesn't - at least to seem to understand that bit. It justn't do what PFC does with a direct across the line motor. That's what you and Ing can't seem to, don't want to grasp.

Let me ask you both a question. You have a dozen VFDs on a process line, powers from 100kW to 400kW. They are all fed from a common DC buss. How does altering the VFD capacitor bank affect the power factor in such a case? Can you at least begin so see the disparity?

Ing posted a link (#post#249 I think) from a VFD manufacturer. It has errors about power factor correction - clearly not written by someone with design level understanding. The trouble is that such disinformation is accepted as the gospel truth by some. And that saddens me.

"The moving finger writes........"

It does the same thing
there are a few misconceptions
a rectifier has a pf of 1, it does not
that it does not flow reactive power, it does
that line side current flow is uni-directional, it is not

those multiple articles are written by experts with far more understanding than you or I
it is easy to criticize the work of others when you present none of your own to be reviewed
other than nuggets of non-relevant information couched as knowledge
condescending

as far as your multiple motor example
Net pf imrovement

Smart $

Esteemed Member
But I'm not saying it does it in the same way. If the power factor of a VFD input is better than the same motor connected across the line at the same speed and loading there has to be a reason. And that reason is the DC bus filter cap(s). There are no active components in existence that I'm aware of that can improve the power factor of a motor. A passive component or second power source has to be involved. However you want to explain that is up to you.

We are talking power factor comparison motor vs. VFD input. Not just the input.

If you completely remove the capacitor bank, will you measure a better or worse power factor at the AC source?

Ingenieur

5 articles/papers/app notes, maybe more?
all from major mfgs; hitachi, ab, abb, etc
all saying that a vfd will improve pf due to the caps
all wrong
lol

guess that puts the lid on this discussion
if valid sources are dismissed there is no point

Besoeker

But I'm not saying it does it in the same way. If the power factor of a VFD input is better than the same motor connected across the line at the same speed and loading there has to be a reason. And that reason is the DC bus filter cap(s). There are no active components in existence that I'm aware of that can improve the power factor of a motor. A passive component or second power source has to be involved. However you want to explain that is up to you.

We are talking power factor comparison motor vs. VFD input. Not just the input.

If you completely remove the capacitor bank, will you measure a better or worse power factor at the AC source?
You wouldn't measure anything. The PWM drive wouldn't work.

Besoeker

5 articles/papers/app notes, maybe more?
all from major mfgs; hitachi, ab, abb, etc
all saying that a vfd will improve pf due to the caps
all wrong
Yes.

A bigger bucket will make the PF worse, not better as you claimed due to the worse input current waveform distortioin.

Status
Not open for further replies.