Stranded wire in Industrial against code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Current

Is using stranded wire in Industrial work against code or just a standard? I know people use stranded and solid in Commercial work but almost never vice verse in Industrial its almost always stranded.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We always want to use stranded but it seems that lately engineers are specifying only solid. IMO #10 solid should not be permitted in a circular raceway.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
We always want to use stranded but it seems that lately engineers are specifying only solid. IMO #10 solid should not be permitted in a circular raceway.

I read you loud and clear. I'm adding a new paragraph to our standard specs:

"All raceways shall be rectangular." :)

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I go out of my way to use stranded whenever possible.
When I engineer a job I specify no solid conductors
My supply house stocks lots of stranded MC now since I usually specify it.
I like to use 10/2 MC stranded for water heaters.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Pulling stranded is so much easier. I haven't done a ton of industrial but a couple years worth. I never worked with any solid in the industrial setting. Lots and lots of stranded and TC cable

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The only solid I've used in industrial was 4/0 for grounding grid and from grid to above slab metal (skids, motors, and such). Solid can be bent to follow contours and hold its shape.

iwire

Staff member
I actually like solid.

For a short time the supply houses around here started stocking stranded MC, it did not go over well up here. It is now back to solid.

Trying to run stranded MC is like trying to push a car with a rope.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I actually like solid.

For a short time the supply houses around here started stocking stranded MC, it did not go over well up here. It is now back to solid.

Trying to run stranded MC is like trying to push a car with a rope.

I have never seen solid wire that big. In fact can you even call it wire? Or do you just call it bar or round stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.