Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Switched Din. Rm. Outlet?

laughabove.gif
Jim you can't get away from the court and jail issues that easy. Please explain how many times you paid in your out of court settlements.

Roger

[ March 28, 2005, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Roger,never paid once for anything related to electrical work,Did collect a few times
Well what did this
Roger ,i been to court many times and if i cant win i save the time and settle out of court.
mean? You aren't back peddling are you? ;)

Roger

jimwalker

Roger, not back peddling at all.I been in a lot more buisness ventures than just electrical.You hardly think i could even buy a computer on what electric work pays here ;)

kturner

Guys, I was thinking about switching a receptacle as the lighting outlet in my laundry room. Trouble is, the only 120v. circuit in the room is my laundry circuit. See a problem? :roll:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Roger, not back peddling at all.I been in a lot more buisness ventures than just electrical.You hardly think i could even buy a computer on what electric work pays here :D

Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

And they call me a troublemaker. :)

I have gone to court a few times. Once, for rolling a Buick on a clear night, sober. The judge laughed at me.

Went to small claims court to retrieve $400 of $500 I paid a guy who did nothing for me, and I lost the case. Needless to say, I suck in court. Typing is easier than talking, when you're nervous. :D

physis

You know George, I can get that 4 or 5 bills back for, oh, $350.00 or so.

apauling

I have waited 13 pages for one of you to convince me that one side was right, not being clear on the issue myself. I think a clear reading says because of the double prohibition - -all wall spacing outlets, and there are no extra outlets defined in the NEC, on small appliance circuit and no lights on the small appliance circuit - - that you could not switch an outlet as a control for lighting.

BUT, BUT I do not see the prohibition from switching the outlet as long as wall spacing and other wiring methods are code compliant, and there is a wall switched light.

The garbage disposal is switched.

It depends what it says on the plans. An outside GFCI outlet with a continual use cover can have a number of things plugged into it. But if the plans say that it is going to power the control wiring for a small nuclear reactor, it's prohibited. go figure.

If there is no stated use, the plans could indicate a TV or computer, or a media center, I don't think that the switched outlet itself is going to trigger a code issue.

I don't think it is a problem until the owner tells the court that the electrician knew it was for a light. How that situation might arise is beyond me, but it could happen.

paul, imagine a gremlin spinning like a top.

physis

Well Paul, I think the question has been answered several times over. There's still some debate as to which side of the fence one dwells on. For me, it comes to whether 210.70(A)(1) EX. 1 is a lighting outlet by virtue of the exception being one to a lighting outlet code.

If you read the whole thing, you will find every possible angle. At least I think you will.

George, there's no need to get Italian about it. :cool:

charlie

It sounds like another Code proposal in order to make this a clear cut issue. Now, if someone will pick up the gauntlet . . . :D

physis

Sure Charlie. Show up at this things last gasp. Where have you been anyway mister?

Besides. CMP 2. HA HA HA Ha Ha.

I'll be honest Charlie. I'd like to rewrite everything those guys ever printed. A bit at a time wont do. It's too bloofy floofy. :D :D

sandsnow

The laws of inspection and probability dictate that this issue will come up in our city sooner rather than later since it has been on this forum. This place is always on the cutting edge.

Maybe I'll just flip a coin.

A catch-22 in the code. Who'da thought ;)

physis

I think my last synopsis boils the question down to it's least common denominator. But still can't make the final call.

I've got this one before Larry:

Well, it sounds like you know what you're talking about, ok.

Strangely, it's pretty disappointing actually.

necbuff

Well, I quess I'll jump in too! Someone yell before they throw a rock at me. I just do not see the confusion. It appears clear that you may NOT switch the small appliance receptacle. The exception is permitting a switched 15A recept from a GENERAL PURPOSE branch circuit in a room that GENERALLY requires 20A circuits with no other outlets. (IE; ADDING a switched recept from a 15A general branch circuit IN ADDITION to the required SA circuit in the room. This 15A switched recept can come from let's say the dining room light circuit or living room circuit.) Sorry Guys, Don't shoot me!!!!!!!! I have never seen this many replies to one post.

[ March 28, 2005, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: necbuff ]

physis

You probably didn't read the last 13 pages. :)

[ March 28, 2005, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

davedottcom

WARNING! One more reply will cause this topic to reach 200 and it could self-destruct!
No one knows for sure...
Do NOt Look directly into your monitor!

:(

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.