Switchgear, Busways, Cable Trays, MI some pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I figured I would share some pictures of one of our more interesting jobs lately. Some of the equipment and methods will be common to some others may not see some of it.

Here is the main electrical room.

Big%20Store%2011_zpsvyamsizk.jpg

Big%20Store%2014_zps72jbzsek.jpg

Some of the optional standby equipment

Big%20Store%2012_zpsnaqnwnt2.jpg

More optional standby and a pallet of spare breakers for the main room.

d2793072-83d7-48e9-a861-91842b1bac03_zpsw8uv72xf.jpg
[/IMG]

Now some of the emergency which in this area must be seperated by a 2 hour wall from the normal equipment

Big%20Store%206_zps5zqvuhhm.jpg

Yes, those are brand new fuse panels

Big%20Store%208_zpsjrmsqkvo.jpg

iwire

Staff member
So moving out of the main electrical rooms we have prefab 'power walls' all over the building

Big%20Store%2029_zpsgivrw07f.jpg

Big%20Store%2028_zps2yuok25s.jpg

Big%20Store%2027_zpst9sjka8c.jpg

In the picture below you can see tray cable leaving the area just behind the transformers.

Big%20Store%205_zpswh6aoq3a.jpg

Big%20Store%2034_zpsfw5hlkdn.jpg

In these prefab sections will be panels, contactors and control equipment, all nicely labeled

Big%20Store%2035_zpsvb3hipek.jpg

Big%20Store%2036_zpsvflsepqh.jpg

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
That's cool, Bob. Especially the MI stuff.

Reminds me of my very first union job. No, we didn't build gear like in your pictures. We just had to 'live' in the room with all the gear. That's where our gangbox, threaders and benders were and they had to stay there. It was a baby food formula plant so all of our stuff, even our inventory, had to be kept in the main electrical room. We didn't work for the formula place, were were an outside contractor.

The place has a real dual conversion UPS and in our room was the battery pack. It was HUGE. And kind of scary to a first year apprentice that has seen batteries explode.

iwire

Staff member
Moving beyond the power walls we have a lot of cable trays with tray cable inside along with voice, data and security. There are barriers in the cable trays to keep it separate.

Big%20Store%201_zpsjvnqzu0a.jpg

The picture below was taken after hours so the 'work lights' are on. Normally the lights up at the deck are off. Everywhere you see track lighting it is mounted to strut raceway carring circuit conductors for lighting and power.

If you look close you can see a number of busways hanging in with the tracks. They each have up to 42 branch circuit spaces.

Big%20Store%2032_zpsxtzneadn.jpg

More cable tray

Big%20Store%2031_zpsa2nown2s.jpg

Busways located all over

Big%20Store%2019_zps88wrf2zr.jpg

Big%20Store%2021_zpsnjjqpsa0.jpg

Stainless steel specified in kitchens

Big%20Store%2024_zps96yvhs3o.jpg

This customer knows what they want and are not afraid to purchase quality equipment.

Big%20Store%2020_zpsfcbslad5.jpg

I will be glad to answer any questions I can, lets try to leave the name of this place out of though. Thanks,

iwire

Staff member
I am unfamiliar with fuse panels.

It looks like fuses for the panel OCPD? Correct.

Are those standard breakers in the panel or something else?

As far as I know they are just switches with fuses. Fuses used for better coordination of emergency system

To be clear I had no part in building this, I was there adding a few more circuits.

The construction side of the company did this and two others like it. They did nice work on all of them. The electrcal prints are just over 100 pages for what is a single floor building. Lots of details and specific equipment called out.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Beautiful pictures! :cool:

Are all the pics from the same place or are they from different buildings? And oh, what is the MI cable for, smoke purge fans I take it?

ron

Nice installation.

I guess the MI was only for the emergency loads. Would you be familiar with the code requirement related? Is it 700.10(D)? Was it an assembly occupancy >1000 people or >75' tall?

iwire

Staff member
Are all the pics from the same place or are they from different buildings? And oh, what is the MI cable for, smoke purge fans I take it?

All one building, the MI are feeders for Artcile 700 emergency loads.

Very nice. (Small place, isn't it?)

It's a drag walking back to the truck for supplies

Nice installation.

I guess the MI was only for the emergency loads. Would you be familiar with the code requirement related? Is it 700.10(D)? Was it an assembly occupancy >1000 people or >75' tall?

MA requires the MI and seperate rooms by amendments.

iwire

Staff member
Impressive

What is a 'busway'?

In this application the best way I can describe it is a long thin electrical panel mounted on the ceiling.

These have 200 amp feeders running to them and have up to 42 branch circuit breakers mounted to them.

It is a way to have circuit breakers near the load but not need any wall space for a panel.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
From the first few photos, I though this was going to be a Hospital, not a supermarket.

Judging from the emergency power, and the wiring methods, I think they are probably have 517 covered just in case they need to perform an emergency appendectomy in the deli. :)

iwire

Staff member
Judging from the emergency power, and the wiring methods, I think they are probably have 517 covered just in case they need to perform an emergency appendectomy in the deli. :)

:D

They also take the service at 13.8kv own their own high voltage service disconnect, pad mount transformer sized per the NEC, exterior mounted temp generator connections in case the locomotive sized one on site goes down.

iwire

Staff member
Any idea,what the typical load/demand is for a place like that?

Actually yes.

The gear has some nice built in metering that can display all sorts of info.

When I looked at it during the day it was running right around 1,000 amps at 480 volt or about 830 KW. However that is without air conditioning load.

The main is 3,000 amps 480Y/277.

:D

They also take the service at 13.8kv own their own high voltage service disconnect, pad mount transformer sized per the NEC, exterior mounted temp generator connections in case the locomotive sized one on site goes down.

Nice looking installation and really nice photos there. I've been providing that mobile gen tap can with camlocks arrangement for over 10 years, but really only on data center projects.

In a catastrophe, I want to shop at that store!

Status
Not open for further replies.