Tapping off smoke alarm circuit allowed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
So you all are saying that this install is code compliant. Not all receptacle shown.

I think that you can figure out my point.

View attachment 11255

Absolutely

Mine goes from panel, to a basement smoke, from there a 2 wire feeds basement lights, a 3 wire goes to the first floor smoke and another 3 wire goes up to the attic.

From a 6"x6" j-box in the attic it splits four ways to the upstairs smokes and also picks up a closet light

You have shown nothing, I repeat, nothing that prevents the installation.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I would turn you down.

View attachment 11204
Mike,

The way those instruction are to be read is that nothing should interfere with the interconnection between the smoke alarms. It is also simply saying not to reverse the "black and white" conductors in the sequence of additionally connected smoke alarms.

It is very common to use the smoke alarm circuit as the spare (if you will) that also may catch an attic lampholder or the like and will indeed permit other loads to be on the circuit. I do not see where the instructions prohibit that, it just speaks of the method of interconnection and so on. The branch circuit is like any other branch circuit but the interconnection is what makes them unique.

Sorry i did not read ALL of the other posts because honestly it would not change my opinion either way so figured I would just give you my opinion based on the original image posted. Again to each his own fella...

edlee

Don't cross the hot and neutral between detectors"? If I tap off of the smokes and plug a lamp into a receptacle have I crossed two conductors?

Why are you smarter and allowed to second guess why a manf. put something in the instructions?

they would print it multiple times in bold letters....which they haven't

Let me:

(C) Intention. This Code is not intended as a design specification
or an instruction manual for untrained persons.

Don't really know why you typed that sentence, especially 3 times. My comment was referring to the instructions included with smoke detectors, not the NEC. BTW I don't claim to be smarter than you, it just seems pretty obvious that they (the manufacturers) make no such restriction.

Why don't you just call BRK or FIREX , tell them you have a technical question and have a chat? Then let us know what they say. I do it all the time, often from a jobsite, when I have a question about an electrical product.

Status
Not open for further replies.