Thinking about the next guy, running conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohm

How many of you think and leave room for additional conduit runs when planning your conduit route. I am doing a installation, and previous electricians "block off" future runs by not thinking. They block useable unitstrut trapeze space, run on the bottom of red iron trusses blocking perpandicular runs...did I spell that right? any way...it frustrates me....:smile: just curious....

I felt the need to return to the OP to understand how we got to where we are.

Practical Safeguarding 90.1 says "The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity". This text says noting about neatness, quality, economy, motherhood, apple pie or chevrolet.

However, Wiring Planning 90.8 (A) seems like it was written by Mule.

I personnaly would not wire a home for anyone I cared about by simply complying with 90.1

Over the years I've written the I & E construction specs. , help evaluate EC's and had final approval over billions of dollars of projects. If on the first phase of a project I saw a violation of 90.1 I would (and have) have the work torn down and redone. Further, I would not allow that company to bid the next phase or any other project I was on.

Companies which have the integrity, such as Mules, are typically allowed "sole-source" status, without a competive bidding.

mdshunk

Companies which have the integrity, such as Mules, are typically allowed "sole-source" status, without a competive bidding.
Giving a company the option of "fast and cheap" should not be confused with having a lack of integrity. If you do all your work fast and cheap, regardless of what they wanted, that would be a lack of integrity.

ohm

Giving a company the option of "fast and cheap" should not be confused with having a lack of integrity. If you do all your work fast and cheap, regardless of what they wanted, that would be a lack of integrity.

I actually was using Webster's definition for integrity "1)completeness; wholeness 2) unimpaired condition; soundness 3) honesty, sincerity, etc.

I suppose you could ask the client if they wanted the work done with integrity or not and go from there.

Mule

If Ive mislead your thoughts I apologize. Im smart enough to realize not everyone agrees on things....What got me crankd up was iwire. Marc's comments did not suprise me at all, but that's the first time I had seen those kinds of comments from iwire, and frankly I was let down, becuase it was not the picture I had in my mind of him at all. And further more he still stands by his thoughts...jeez...I was not angry with anyone else, or anyones contributions to the thread, only the name calling that comes from folks that I respect at a higher level.

I fully understand that a few folks dont care about future conduit path's, no problem, but what suprised me is those that talk big about doing things right were flip flopping around taking the other side of the argument just for spite.......That showed me a whole different side to these individuals. I still consider this forum a very valuable asset to the trade, and I will continue to participate on occasion, but with a completely different set of eyes and a much lower level of involvment......again I apologize for getting upset...sorry for the confusion........And thanks for this wonderfull forum...Sincerly....Mule

stickboy1375

If Ive mislead your thoughts I apologize. Im smart enough to realize not everyone agrees on things....What got me crankd up was iwire. Marc's comments did not suprise me at all, but that's the first time I had seen those kinds of comments from iwire, and frankly I was let down, becuase it was not the picture I had in my mind of him at all. And further more he still stands by his thoughts...jeez...I was not angry with anyone else, or anyones contributions to the thread, only the name calling that comes from folks that I respect at a higher level.

I fully understand that a few folks dont care about future conduit path's, no problem, but what suprised me is those that talk big about doing things right were flip flopping around taking the other side of the argument just for spite.......That showed me a whole different side to these individuals. I still consider this forum a very valuable asset to the trade, and I will continue to participate on occasion, but with a completely different set of eyes and a much lower level of involvment......again I apologize for getting upset...sorry for the confusion........And thanks for this wonderfull forum...Sincerly....Mule

I've been here for quite awhile, and I thought Bob's answer was expected. He was just telling you how it is. Not how it should be.

mdshunk

... but what suprised me is those that talk big about doing things right were flip flopping around taking the other side of the argument just for spite.......That showed me a whole different side to these individuals.
Nothing written in this post was out of character for anyone. I can show you where iwire has said essentially the same thing dozens of times before.

By the way, speaking of doing things "right"... I'm not much for situational ethics, but make no mistake: What's right for one customer is not right for the next. Every customer has different needs and every customer ascribes a varying level of importance to different facets of the job.

Last edited:

220/221

I think this thread is being pretty unfair to Mule.

I agree and I personally think that he is simply being misunderstood here.

I run a lot of conduit (through & around almost everything) & I'm still trying to figure out what constitutes a blocked run. Also, how could I block the next run because I have no idea where that next run is going?

Example. If you have a blank panel and you need to run conduit out of the top and to the left, do you use a KO on the left side?

If you are installing strut above it, do you go the whole width of the panel even thopugh you only need 4"? This kind of stuff doesn't really cost more but does add future value.

Settle down Mule. Everybody is not going to understand. Take the few positive hits you got and be happy.

ITO

How many of you think and leave room for additional conduit runs when planning your conduit route. I am doing a installation, and previous electricians "block off" future runs by not thinking. They block useable unitstrut trapeze space, run on the bottom of red iron trusses blocking perpandicular runs...did I spell that right? any way...it frustrates me....:smile: just curious....

If you ready the specs on most commercial jobs leaving room for expansion on strut racks is required.

A pet-peeve of mine is the joker that comes in after you set a gutter up for additional services on the back of a building, and builds his service on your gutter in such a way as to make it easy for him but a royal pain in the butt for the next guy.

Last edited:

220/221

A pet-peeve of mine is the joker that comes in after you set a gutter up for additional services on the back of a building, and builds his service on your gutter in such a way as to make it easy for him but a royal pain in the butt for the next guy.

IMO, that is exactly what Mule was talking about.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
You boys were at this half the day? :D

I don't go out of my way to help the next guy, but I do take the more helpful route when it doesn't cause me much inconvenience or time.

mdshunk said:
Right. If he only knew how many of my posts you have edited or zapped into oblivion. In fact, Bob banned me as a user from this whole forum for a short period of time. To that end, "it's just business".
Heck, I was one of the few who argued to let you back, and I think you like me the least! :D :D

But I don't cry myself to sleep any more. Now I just argue with Bob behind the curtain. :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
However, Wiring Planning 90.8 (A) seems like it was written by Mule.

And the lack of mandatory language makes that section the equivalent of a definition of an item that is not required.

Ha ha ha - if by "sole-source" you are saying the customer wouldn't fire someone of Mule's conscience for someone as good and 5? cheaper, then I can't agree with that. It's a cutthroat world out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.