Underground 4/0-4/0-2/0 aluminum service wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The reason I told kwired to read post #48 is to clear up his understanding of what conductors are being used, it was stated clearly that they are RHH-2.
The thread has mentioned both 4/0 Al and 2/0 Cu, and has mentioned RHH-2 insulation. Presumably the 4/0 Al had RHH-2 insulation; has there been confirmation from the OP that the 2/0 Cu does as well? I think kwired was speculating that the 2/0 Cu may be THWN-2.

Cheers, Wayne

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The thread has mentioned both 4/0 Al and 2/0 Cu, and has mentioned RHH-2 insulation. Presumably the 4/0 Al had RHH-2 insulation; has there been confirmation from the OP that the 2/0 Cu does as well? I think kwired was speculating that the 2/0 Cu may be THWN-2.

Cheers, Wayne
You need to go back and read all the way through it, it may help you understand why we are asking the questions we are asking. The OP has clarified what the conductors are just not what's happening between the LB and the panel. kwired stated he understood the conductors between the LB and the panel were THHN/THWN, post #48 (as well as few others) clears that up.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
You need to go back and read all the way through it
I'm aware of the issues, MattG0311 first raised the likely problem in post #24, and in post #28 I quoted the language from OP's post #27 that seems to confirm that.

Also, I think you are mistaken in your criticism of kwired's comment. The 4/0 Al in the OP is specified as RHH-2. The insulation on the subsequent 2/0 Cu is never specified, so it may be THWN-2, as kwired speculated.

Apparently in the absence of clear information from the OP, we are prone to quibble over trivialities. : - )

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

User Name

Occupation
Electrician
Seems like theres a little bit of information missing here to me. I'm not sure what part of 300.3 his issue is with, also I'm not finding a table 310.104(A), but its a big book so maybe it's there lol. I'm wondering if his beef is more with not having an outdoor disconnect/over-current protection? We got to have that here, that'd be my biggest concern over the type of wire used. I'd have maybe gone with 3/0 thhn into the house though, 2/0 copper is leaving you a little short (175Amps) of your 4/0 feeders (180Amps). Without knowing the sq ft of the house, might be a tiny house and its fine, or it could be a giant house needing every amp of that 200, and maybe that's his issue too?

kwired

Electron manager
You need to go back and read all the way through it, it may help you understand why we are asking the questions we are asking. The OP has clarified what the conductors are just not what's happening between the LB and the panel. kwired stated he understood the conductors between the LB and the panel were THHN/THWN, post #48 (as well as few others) clears that up.
He said initially ran same RHW conductors between meter and panel. That did not pass inspection so he ran 2/0 copper, though did not specify what insulation type those were. Apparently still failed with same reasons. No we haven't gotten greatest confirmation of whether there is or isn't raceway all the way between meter and panel, but piecing things together seems there is only raceway from top of meter to the LB then just open conductor from there. OP keeps focusing on conductors being rated for crush resistance and "aerial use" but is misunderstanding what that might actually mean. The sections his inspector cited are correct. If he has SE cable between meter and socket that would be fine there but wouldn't be fine direct buried ahead of the meter - he has made it fairly clear he initially used same thing before and after the meter for conductors, it had RHW/RHH insulation on it and that did not pass. Seems very likely it was a triplex assembly and most likely also had a USE rating though he has never mentioned that.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
From the picture, I can almost guarantee there is no conduit between the LB and panel. I zoomed in on the pic and can see one hot leg and the neutral coming in a KO. Can't see where the other hot is, but bet it is also coming through a KO.
This is smelling like a GC not an EC is doing this work.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
From the picture, I can almost guarantee there is no conduit between the LB and panel. I zoomed in on the pic and can see one hot leg and the neutral coming in a KO. Can't see where the other hot is, but bet it is also coming through a KO.
This is smelling like a GC not an EC is doing this work.
The company Solid Ground Construction is a GC but owns Forest City Electric LLC in Ohio. I have my doubts the question is being asked by the EC though.

User Name

Occupation
Electrician
Opps my bad, I accidentally skipped a page and didn't see the picture. He apparently doesn't have it in conduit from the the LB to the panel, one conductor heading off on its own to the left.....

Status
Not open for further replies.