Wiring in a new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
How do you add wiring in a remodel situation where the walls and ceilings aren't disturbed?
There is no limit to remodel creativity.

I've see remodel-hazard extension cords run through the attic out holes in the ceiling, or emerging from drywall patch.

DooWop

Occupation
Hvac contractor
Code is the minimum standard that a structure can be legally built. So saying something is built to code ain't saying much.
At least with electric, it's taken a bit more serious.
Allowing hvac equipment to be installed in attics and crawls makes zero sense. Allowing flex duct to be run looking like an octopus.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How do you add wiring in a remodel situation where the walls and ceilings aren't disturbed?
My son lives about 20 min. from O'Hare airport. ALL the wiring in the house is done in EMT. However, if you have to add something like a paddle fan to a bedroom I believe you are permitted to use MC or AC cable. There is NO Roamex available on any of the shelves in the big box stores.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
There are a bunch of new houses being built in my neighborhood, and I was looking around at the rough electrical work that had been done on one of them. I noticed a few things that seemed off. The first was the outdoor outlets. Rather than providing a separate 20A circuit for them, they simply tapped them into one of the general-purpose 15A circuits.
By me, new homes, the sub usually parks a 15A ckt to a GFCI recept in garage, then onto all of the outside (house mounted) wet location receptacles. Seems normal practice by me.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
There were also flood lights on all four corners, with three-way switches — the front floods were by the front door, the back floods by the back door, and both were in my bedroom so I could light up the entire yard with the flip of a switch. I paid an extra $500 for each of those. One of the corners wasn’t wired at all because no one does that. So, at one of the wall-thrus I pointed out that there was a missing everything. That explains the $500 per floodlight upgrade.
Seems like the money would have been better spent on some home automation. More flexibility and cost less.

I'm starting to plan out my next house. Every switch will be some sort of wireless capable. Being able to control any light on the property from my easy chair will be immensely useful.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Stepping in late.

I did small FHA homes back when. Everything to the minimum. The builder put in a 24" wall where there had been a smaller in the previous home. He did not like the added cost of that one receptacle. His budget was blown.

Later I did what were considered large custom homes at the time. A pre and post rough-in walk thru with The One Who Must Be Obeyed was required by me. I heard no complaints with that method.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
I'm starting to plan out my next house. Every switch will be some sort of wireless capable. Being able to control any light on the property from my easy chair will be immensely useful.
Not me. I want to control my lights, temperature, etc., not some one else on the internet. 😄 Luddite wins.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Seems like the money would have been better spent on some home automation. More flexibility and cost less.

I'm currently using a combination of zigbee capable switches with standard fixtures, zigbee controlled receps, and Philips Hue lamps paired with zigbee wireless switches. All of the devices I'm using are Legrand w/ Netatmo.

I'm remodeling my pool bathroom right now... Here's a couple pics of what I setup over the weekend. The fan-speed switch there is just a regular "dumb" switch, but I have the oscillating motor on the fan wired to a Sonoff zigbee relay paired w/ Legrand Zigbee switch, and the lights are philips hue paired to a wireless Legrand dimmer.

44deecc7aec3941d9ce0af49f7fbc89a.jpg

1c318f926b9da43c98858cab36ce6ee6.jpg

0c1a6de408a7ca10fe4d3c5b828664f9.jpg

These are the various device types I’m using at home …. They have regular decora style too. Highly recommend them. I’ve also just setup a home assistant server over the weekend but I haven’t had time to really do anything with it.

c5e653785b62bc0db60f363c40c5e48b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
I'm currently using a combination of zigbee capable switches with standard fixtures, zigbee controlled receps, and Philips Hue lamps paired with zigbee wireless switches. All of the devices I'm using are Legrand w/ Netatmo.

I have a number of Zwave devices now. They work just fine, but they cost 2-3 times what a regular WiFi device costs, plus you need an expensive hub or hubs.

Fortunately, I got in with the Gen 2 stuff, so I didn't have to retire my Gen 1 hub, and have to re-associate all my devices to a new hub.

For flexability, you can't really beat WiFi devices.

I am planning on using the Leviton panel with Smart Breakers so I'll probably go with Leviton WiFi devices as well.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I have a number of Zwave devices now. They work just fine, but they cost 2-3 times what a regular WiFi device costs, plus you need an expensive hub or hubs.

Fortunately, I got in with the Gen 2 stuff, so I didn't have to retire my Gen 1 hub, and have to re-associate all my devices to a new hub.

For flexability, you can't really beat WiFi devices.

I am planning on using the Leviton panel with Smart Breakers so I'll probably go with Leviton WiFi devices as well.

I had legrand wifi switches at my last house, but it was only 30 or so switch devices, and it worked great. I have considerably more devices in this house that utilize some sort of networking, and I didn't want to clog up my wifi traffic with lighting etc. There is also a lot of flexibility with zigbee and interoperability between devices. Its still a work in progress for me.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.

China loves it when US installs tons of China made IOT devices. ;)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
My son lives about 20 min. from O'Hare airport. ALL the wiring in the house is done in EMT. However, if you have to add something like a paddle fan to a bedroom I believe you are permitted to use MC or AC cable. There is NO Roamex available on any of the shelves in the big box stores.
That has long been the code in Chicago and many of the suburbs.

Here is the MC permitted uses from the 2018 Chicago Electrical Code, which is a highly amended version of the 2017 NEC. There amendment for AC cable is the same.
Revise section 330.10 to read:
“Uses Permitted.
(A) Existing Installations. Except where otherwise specified in this Code and where not subject to physical damage, listed Type MC cable with listed fittings and not exceeding 7.62 m (25 ft) in length between junction boxes shall be permitted for branch circuits in concealed work fished into existing walls, partitions, floors, or hard surface ceilings where other work does not require or include removal of the existing finished surface.
(B) Exposed Work. For exposed work only under the following conditions:
(1) In lengths not more than 1.83 m (6 ft), at terminations where flexibility is necessary;
(2) In lengths not greater than 1.83 m (6 ft) in accessible, but not habitable, attics and roof spaces where installed in accordance with 320.23;
(3) In lengths not greater than 1.83 m (6 ft), below the basement ceiling joists where it is necessary to connect a cabinet or junction box.”
2. Revise section 330.12 to read:
“Uses Not Permitted. Type MC cable shall not be used for any installation not permitted in 330.10.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer

The home automation at the time was sketchy at best. It also would likely have made matters worse -- the problem was my deviation from the standard plans. Home automation on top of all that wire would have been one more thing to get wrong.

kwired

Electron manager
I would give a quote as if all the electrical upgrades were on the plans. Then if accepted, go ahead and install all the upgrades right along with all the rest of the stuff that's required by Code!
Haven't read the rest of posts after this yet, but I wouldn't even waste my time giving them a quote with that intention, probably not getting the job if not intending to do a minimal installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.