Wiring in a new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Haven't read the rest of posts after this yet, but I wouldn't even waste my time giving them a quote with that intention, probably not getting the job if not intending to do a minimal installation.
Agreed. Quote what's on the plans and in the specs. Extras are extra. Nothing keeps you from suggesting upsells when you're talking to the owner, and they can say right then if they want a price for it or not. I'd hesitate to drop a price on the spot unless I'm extremely confident in the number, so I'd usually say "Let me send you a price".

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
I'm currently using a combination of zigbee capable switches with standard fixtures, zigbee controlled receps, and Philips Hue lamps paired with zigbee wireless switches. All of the devices I'm using are Legrand w/ Netatmo.

I'm remodeling my pool bathroom right now... Here's a couple pics of what I setup over the weekend. The fan-speed switch there is just a regular "dumb" switch, but I have the oscillating motor on the fan wired to a Sonoff zigbee relay paired w/ Legrand Zigbee switch, and the lights are philips hue paired to a wireless Legrand dimmer.

44deecc7aec3941d9ce0af49f7fbc89a.jpg

Those are interesting products, what are you using to fish between the plastic boxes? Smurf tube?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Those are interesting products, what are you using to fish between the plastic boxes? Smurf tube?

yeh. This block is only like 3" deep though, and there's an 8" void behind this wall for plumbing; I have two bathrooms back-to-back. The blocks also have three cells instead of two, which is how these boxes are centered in the CMU.

The original wiring was a 12/2 UF cable w/o a ground coming in an air gap between block and exterior brick. I drilled into the void and ran new ENT, fished to these boxes, and then into the ceiling for recessed lighting & fans.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Haven't seen the blue old work boxes made to work with conduit, only ones I've seen is for use with NM or UF.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Haven't seen the blue old work boxes made to work with conduit, only ones I've seen is for use with NM or UF.

one of those in the pic had factory KO's in the back for the conduit. The other I had to drill a hole in the back for the connector.

kwired

Electron manager
The receptacles have to be able to handle 20A on a 20A circuit. Didn't use to be an issue but now the big box are selling in the contractor packs a receptacle listed strickly 15A not like it use to be 15A or 20A. Had an inspector call that one out. Be careful.
Off brand/private label items? And likely in the residential grade?

The TR commercial grade receptacles I been using are kind of ridiculously priced, but I don't like being called back within a year or two because the cheap ones I used to use (still name brand) were not gripping cord caps very well.

kwired

Electron manager
Doesn't matter what the code says when the AHJ wants to see something.

We all know the rules for the 15amp recept on 20amp circuits. Hell, you can't even plug a 20amp male plug into a 15amp recept to try to pull the overcurrent.

Edited to take my opinion out of the comments.
Yes it does. I will be asking for justification on anything that I think is inspector's own made up rules. State AHJ here doesn't have any official amendments, so what is printed in whatever edition of NEC is in effect is the only reference. Gray areas in NEC, those get trickier sometimes though.

4-20mA

an analog man in a digital world
Occupation
Instrumentation & Electrical
Yes it does. I will be asking for justification on anything that I think is inspector's own made up rules. State AHJ here doesn't have any official amendments, so what is printed in whatever edition of NEC is in effect is the only reference. Gray areas in NEC, those get trickier sometimes though.
Again with this "made up rules" thing... I never said that and if you do not understand my statement then I'm sorry about your luck.

kwired

Electron manager
Again with this "made up rules" thing... I never said that and if you do not understand my statement then I'm sorry about your luck.
If an inspector wants to see things done a particular way, he'd better have justification for doing so, usually either NEC content or local rules or amendments that are actually written into local laws is all I was trying to say. Otherwise it is usually nothing more than them abusing their power.

If they are nice about it and say something like "in the future I would appreciate it if you .... it makes it easier for me to inspect" I might just do what they ask as long as they are not requesting something I don't think is in the code or local rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.