xmas lighting receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It seems to me that the AHJ can decide if your "in the 2nd floor outside soffet " location is acceptable under the "or the like" definition of damp location in 408.6A. A 12 inch eave/soffit does not offer a lot of protection. I heard somewhere a local interpretation that defined the protection to be the area under the eave within a 45 degree angle of the roof edge. If I read this section correctly the AHJ could make you use an in-use cover unless it's an open porch area, mezzanine, or canopy.
It would probably help if we cited the entire sentence from 406.8 : A receptacle shall be considered to be in a location protected from weather where located under roofed porches, canopies, marquees,and the like, and will not be subject to a beating rain or water runoff. I would think the AHJ would have to take the section I hi-lighted under consideration before making a decision as to whether a receptacle should have a bubble cover or not.

w_d_anderson

The main point I was trying to make is that there is a very limited space under eaves which is not subject to beating rain. It is a judgment call. If you are recessing a box into the underside of the soffit I see no problem, damp location. As soon as you move down the wall with your outlet you move into a judgment call.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The main point I was trying to make is that there is a very limited space under eaves which is not subject to beating rain. It is a judgment call. If you are recessing a box into the underside of the soffit I see no problem, damp location. As soon as you move down the wall with your outlet you move into a judgment call.
I was assuming we were talking about mounting the receptacle in the soffet and not on the side of the house below the soffit. Sorry if I mis-understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.