Why is residential wiring known as single phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
120209-2343 EST

rolandrc:

Is it clear to you that you can parallel two voltage sources that have the same amplitude and frequency, if the two are in phase (meaning zero phase difference between the two voltages)?

Then do you see that, if there is any shift between the two voltages that is not N * 360 there is some circulating current as a result of the phase shift and it is greatest at a shift of 180 deg?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
120209-2343 EST

rolandrc:

Is it clear to you that you can parallel two voltage sources that have the same amplitude and frequency, if the two are in phase (meaning zero phase difference between the two voltages)?

Then do you see that, if there is any shift between the two voltages that is not N * 360 there is some circulating current as a result of the phase shift and it is greatest at a shift of 180 deg?

Interesting :?

Rick Christopherson

Now Ronald, why do you say that? They are mathematically equivalent.
I assume he said it for the same reason I pointed it out, and the same reason why you have since dodged the discussion. No one is contesting that they are mathematically equivalent. However, you repeatedly state that they are exactly the same. You already acknowledged that they were not exactly the same earlier today.

How come you keep dodging my original question?

gar

Occupation
EE
120210-0648 EST

Besoeker:

A reference for the usage of 6 phase from the use of 3 center tapped transformers in a 3 phase system is:

"Theory and Application of Industrial Electronics", Cage and Bashe, McGraw-Hill, 1951. See page 10 for several rectifier connections, including six-phase half-wave using three center tapped secondaries.

Single or Multi-phase, 90, 120 or 180 out of phase

Single or Multi-phase, 90, 120 or 180 out of phase

Ok, maybe the question couldve been resolved way early if someone had posted a sine wave of the 120/240 supply voltage system being discussed. Eh? I think the UK guy did show a graph of a 168 p2p(170) volt 2 sine wave setup. What has anyone else shown? (I got bored with all the rhetoric around the 10th page, so apologies if there IS a graph between that and the 60th page.)

pfalcon

It's just a simple question.
A simple answer would be fine.

Today, not often. Originally, high speed data collection of high frequency induction systems. Again. Questioning another posters credentials because you disagree with him is rude.

??? If that is true then how do you suppose we establish the phase relationships for three phase circuits where the coils are separate? I appreciate the effort but you've built the rest of the argument on a faulty foundation so you will have to try again a different way.

I don't propose establishing the phase relationships for a three-phase. That requires building a reference system far beyond this discussion. Describe the fundamental fault. It's not faulty just cause you disagree.

The one-sided use of the term sure makes it seem that way.
Then it appears you & I are just not in agreement on terminology. It would appear we agree on the physics.

We have enough problems with the basic terms of this discussion. How about we all, including myself, just give a little on nit-picking definitions. Infinitesmal differences in meaning don't resolve this topic.

Can anyone justify the argument that describing a waveform as either an inverse or being shifted 180 degrees is germane to the OP's question?
Can anyone explain why the fact that V1 and V2 are provided by a single transformer winding has anything to do with the OP's question.

V1, V2 being supplied by a single secondary winding means this is a single-phase circuit with a voltage divider at N.
If the windings were separate coils then it wouldn't be a voltage divider.

Love the picture.

Now Ronald, why do you say that? They are mathematically equivalent.

Lots of things are mathematically equivalent but not physically equivalent.

I think there are plenty of sentences in this thread with the intent of answering your question.
Iwire was right. 600 posts and no conclusion in sight!
Counting down......

You've contributed about 25 just counting them haven't you? About 4%?

rattus

V1, V2 being supplied by a single secondary winding means this is a single-phase circuit with a voltage divider at N. If the windings were separate coils then it wouldn't be a voltage divider.
I would say that the 2nd leg doesn't function as a second phase. We cannot drive 2-phase loads with it. Therefore it is a single phase system. Doesn't matter where or how the waves were generated.
Lots of things are mathematically equivalent but not physically equivalent.
If V1 is described with a phase angle, that implies it is an ideal waveform. therefore -V1 = V2. Even if we do say V2 is apparently out of phase by 180 degrees. What does that matter?

Last edited:

pfalcon

I would say that the 2nd leg doesn't function as a second phase. We cannot drive 2-phase loads with it. Therefore it is a single phase system. Doesn't matter where or how the waves were generated.

Nice, simple, pragmatic answer to which I have no disagreements whatsoever.

Rick Christopherson

Even if we do say V2 is apparently out of phase by 180 degrees. What does that matter?
It matters because you have made the following statement many times over the years, but then sidestep the topic before it can be discussed.

.... then V1n and V2n are as Bes says antiphase. They don't just appear to be so, they are....
It's not nitpicking. You have repeatedly made a very specific statement that isn't true. In my opinion, it is the repetition of this statement that is one of the main reasons why so many of the other readers don't understand this topic. It is also one of the few (if not only) reasons why I engage in these discussions at all.

If you want to get rid of me, simply retract the statement, or at a minimum, at least engage in the topic without running away. If you want to defend it, that's fine. If you don't want to defend it, then stop saying it, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.