Rules for apprentices

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonysolino

Who cares?

1. YOU should care.

2. Someone who would like to respond, but can't make heads or tails of your ramblings. Truthfully, your huge post will give most folks a headache. They'll give up.

Bt if u want to rite lk a 8yo.....
I will do a better job-sorry my grammar is upsetting-my post about PVC was not that hard to read-if that is what you are referring to

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
A and AN...
Unlike most rules in American English, the rule for A and AN is based on sound! The sound you'd hear if you read the sentence out loud.
If a word begins with a consonant sound, you use A. A horse. A hospital. A historic. A camel. A yo-yo. A youngster. A telephone
If a word begins with a vowel sound, your use AN. AN aardvark. AN eagle. AN elephant.

So, it's A historic.

anthonysolino

A and AN...
Unlike most rules in American English, the rule for A and AN is based on sound! The sound you'd hear if you read the sentence out loud.
If a word begins with a consonant sound, you use A. A horse. A hospital. A historic. A camel. A yo-yo. A youngster. A telephone
If a word begins with a vowel sound, your use AN. AN aardvark. AN eagle. AN elephant.

So, it's A historic.
ah man I got a D on my English quiz :cry:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I’ve argued with one (he probably still believes) when he told me you are supposed to increase one wire size for every 100’ to account for voltage drop.
I put that (or something similar) on my drawings, so you will have to include it in your bid price. It applies to 20 amp, 120 volt, single phase circuits. For 20 amp, 277 volt circuits (e.g., lighting), the distance is 200 feet.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
So, it's A historic.
It's not as simple as that. If there is one inviolate rule in the English language, it is, "No rule is inviolate, not even this one." (OK, I made that up.)

For the present discussion, both "a historic" and "an historic" are technically acceptable. To my ear, "an historic" sounds better. But then, (1) The trend in the American version of English over the past many decades is to prefer "a historic," and (2) I am getting somewhat "long in the tooth," so what was good 40+ years ago can still be OK by me.

PaulMmn

Occupation
It's not as simple as that. If there is one inviolate rule in the English language, it is, "No rule is inviolate, not even this one." (OK, I made that up.)

For the present discussion, both "a historic" and "an historic" are technically acceptable. To my ear, "an historic" sounds better. But then, (1) The trend in the American version of English over the past many decades is to prefer "a historic," and (2) I am getting somewhat "long in the tooth," so what was good 40+ years ago can still be OK by me.
Would you say A hospital or AN hospital. Same rule applies to Hospitals and Historics.

I don’t know about this... it’s starting to sound a lot like Journeyman stuff to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevenje

I'm an electrical instructor at the high school level and would like input regarding advice for new apprentices. I've seen some great info from plumbers regarding apprentices. Top 10 list of expectations, arrive on time, keep track of what has been taken from the van so that it can be replaced, etc. Getting input from someone besides the teacher is sometimes better received.
The electrical trade is a profession, not just a job.

Fmkehoe

Occupation
Inspector
Dang! That’s a heck of a list...
How long have you been compiling this list?
Its not to much to ask though from any employee, not just apprentices.
I actually read through the list and I agree with every point, even as an employee.
I did too. Great list. I sent it to a buddy that has a contracting business and he wrote back, “that’s too long to read”
He may be the problem, not the apprentice. Lol.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I just say what ever normally comes out of my mouth at the given point in time.
My issue is with posts that are a solid block of text with embedded changes of subject, perspective, etc. Usually I cannot force myself to slog all the way through them; paragraphs help readability a lot. I'm not telling you what to do, I'm just telling you that I probably won't read it if your post looks like that.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

A factor in this is the British dialect tendency to omit leading H sounds. So "an istoric" sounds just fine. "In 'Artford, 'Erreford and 'Ampshire....." (My Fair Lady)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PaulMmn

Occupation
A factor in this is the British dialect tendency to omit leading H sounds. So "an istoric" sounds just fine. "In 'Artford, 'Erreford and 'Ampshire....." (My Fair Lady)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Only OK if you can prove you're British! Maybe Canadian or Australian...

Status
Not open for further replies.