Inspection question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

I bet there is not a jurisdiction in the whole Country that requires what the OP stated they wanted added just for a panel change.
I have never herd of any jurisdiction wanting receptacles added because of a panel change. But I have never worked in South Florida.

I have a feeling there is something about the scope of work that's not being clearly understood by the inspector or was not clearly referenced on the permit application.

It will be interesting to learn what this is really all about once the OP talks to the inspection department.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No, panel in exact same spot. Also, they are not asking for just GFCI protection on existing outlets, but wanting me to add outlets in kitchen/bath as per 2017 code for kitchens.
Absolutely not. This work is beyond the scope of the permit. To add these circuits would be illegal.

Smash

This is where the problem is. The installation was most likely compliant per the code in the 50’s. You then come along and upgrade a portion of the installation now rendering it not compliant by today’s standards. Fuse to breaker conversion is not a like/kind replacement. Do you really expect the inspector to notice no GFCI’s, sign off, and walk away?

I know we like to hate on inspectors, but the inspector is doing the right thing. Perhaps he was giving you the benefit of the doubt thinking your work (or someone else’s work) had already accounted for GFCI protection, making a panel change out straight forward.
That’s sounds fine but where does it end particularly in a older house. Arc faults, tamperproof receptacles, cord and plug appliances ??? Pull chains in closets why is one a hazard more than another. Draw the line at what your permitted and paid for that’s it. You want and need GFCI receptacles it costs extra and is not part of this permit. But in this case you’ll have to suck it up then write up the next one that is something else is required there will be additional costs.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
That’s sounds fine but where does it end particularly in a older house. Arc faults, tamperproof receptacles, cord and plug appliances ??? Pull chains in closets why is one a hazard more than another. Draw the line at what your permitted and paid for that’s it. You want and need GFCI receptacles it costs extra and is not part of this permit. But in this case you’ll have to suck it up then write up the next one that is something else is required there will be additional costs.
see post #27 second paragraph

Smash

It can also snowball to the point the homeowner no longer can afford it and gets a under the table brother in law panel change and everyone dies in the house fire.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
It can also snowball to the point the homeowner no longer can afford it and gets a under the table brother in law panel change and everyone dies in the house fire.
see post #32 last sentence.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
How does replacing a 15A fuse with a 15A circuit breaker affect the rest of the existing electrical system in the home to the point where new receptacles must be installed in the kitchen and bathroom?

As for "eating it," was the OP supposed to enter the home and do a full system inspection prior to contracting for the panel upgrade and then tell the homeowner that he would also have to pay for major changes to the entire electrical installation in the home? For all we know, the OP may not have even stepped foot inside the house when bidding the panel job. And there would have been no reason for him to do so.

From reading the OP's post, it appears that he was not present at the time of the inspection. My question is, why did the homeowner bring the inspector inside the house to inspect the kitchen and bathrooms when the inspection was only supposed to be for the replaced panel? Which then makes me question, what did the homeowner present to the inspector as the scope of work? Perhaps the homeowner misrepresented the scope to the inspector in order to leverage the OP to do a bunch of interior upgrades without having to pay for the work.
I’m not saying to replace or add any receptacles in the house or to eat every unreasonable cost. Adding GFCI’s in the new panelboard would have been the way to go to demonstrate due diligence and get the inspector off your back.

Personally, I would not take the work unless I knew exactly what it was I was disturbing. I always do an inspection and try to look at things as a whole rather than pieces. Making too many assumptions with a bid is a good way to inherit problems. Plus I don’t like doing the bare minimum, but that is just me. My experience has been if you pose the issue as a safety problem, most reasonable people will pay to do the right thing. At the very least you will have documentation it was highly recommended but forgone by the owner.

This predicament sounds a lot like the following:

1. The owner is under the impression the job would only cost X amount of dollars and are unwilling to pay more. They are also withholding payment until the inspection is approved.

2. The contractor only expected to replace the panelboard (irrespective of the can of worms it may have opened up for the owner by implicating an inspection). The contractor doesn’t appear to have a mutual understanding with the owner about responsibilities or how to recover unforeseen costs.

3. The reason the inspector is failing the inspection is not really clear. It sounds like there is more to the story we aren't being told. Either way, the inspector needs to separate what the contractor is responsible for vs. what the owner is responsible for.

Smash

You don't have to work on something directly to create a violation. Electrical systems are usually interdependent. The nature of contracting and work scope makes us want to think of these systems as separate, but its not always possible. Prior to modification, this was a 1950's system, now its not - its a mix between what was once allowed and what is required now. Anytime there is a grey area like this, I think it requires due diligence.

Imo, the contractor has a duty to understand the impact of their work. This certainly doesn't mean he has to replace the entire building to bring it to code, but we are talking about a couple of GFCI's... I draw the line where it is reasonable, ethical and I am not somehow liable.

The violation arises because its not a like-for-like replacement and the contractor could have employed GFCI breakers. Since the contractor doesn't necessarily have to use GFCI breakers (and said branch-circuits do not have GFCI protection), its a lack of oversight and possibly negligent from a liability standpoint. If this was somehow willful safety deficiency, and someone got hurt, I am 100% certain a county level permit wouldn't help protect anyone.
Don’t understand your point. It is a one for one replacement it simply went from a 15amp fuse to a 15amp breaker is it any safer or more dangerous to not have GFCI receptacles now. No it’s exactly the same. Dangerous and the homeowner should be made aware of the dangers and the cost to repair. Sign here plz you have been made aware and refused the extra cost. Now the inspector should go after the homeowner to comply.

Smash

You don't have to work on something directly to create a violation. Electrical systems are usually interdependent. The nature of contracting and work scope makes us want to think of these systems as separate, but its not always possible. Prior to modification, this was a 1950's system, now its not - its a mix between what was once allowed and what is required now. Anytime there is a grey area like this, I think it requires due diligence.

Imo, the contractor has a duty to understand the impact of their work. This certainly doesn't mean he has to replace the entire building to bring it to code, but we are talking about a couple of GFCI's... I draw the line where it is reasonable, ethical and I am not somehow liable.

The violation arises because its not a like-for-like replacement and the contractor could have employed GFCI breakers. Since the contractor doesn't necessarily have to use GFCI breakers (and said branch-circuits do not have GFCI protection), its a lack of oversight and possibly negligent from a liability standpoint. If this was somehow willful safety deficiency, and someone got hurt, I am 100% certain a county level permit wouldn't help protect anyone.
Do you do that for all your jobs or just the ones that require an inspection ?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Unless there is some local requirement written into the local rules, the inspector is wrong and should be challenged. Changing outlets and/or adding outlets could turn into a costly affair. Also, as I recall in Florida the state dictates the the NEC edition used and any local amendments have to be approved by the state.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Don’t understand your point. It is a one for one replacement it simply went from a 15amp fuse to a 15amp breaker is it any safer or more dangerous to not have GFCI receptacles now. No it’s exactly the same. Dangerous and the homeowner should be made aware of the dangers and the cost to repair. Sign here plz you have been made aware and refused the extra cost. Now the inspector should go after the homeowner to comply.
This doesn't qualify as a like-for-like replacement. Like-for-like replacements do not involve different equipment or device types and generally do not require permitting. MCCB's can provide GFCI protection whereas fuses cannot. Yes it is safer with GFCI protection. That's why it is now required. Its not like its unsafe all of a sudden, its been that way for a long time. The liability is leaving it that way knowing todays standards or putting on the blinders and not wanting to look beyond the panelboard.

I do it for all my jobs - whether its myself or someone under my supervision to do the job walk, survey or review of data provided. Where I physically cannot verify pertinent information, I disclose any assumptions and plan for the worst. One option when scope is unknown is to do the work on a T&M NTE basis, but I am pretty selective and will not accept every job (especially with a history of problems unless the client is committed to go all the way and is intending to hire me for that reason).

I deal with a lot of old industrial type facilities where things can easily snowball and implicate more work the owner did not consider. Most of the time my clients have an idea about what is going on, so its not the same as dealing with a little old lady who needs a receptacle replaced. Either way, a good contract with contingency and provisions to handle change orders is your best friend and tells the client what to expect so you can get paid.

Smash

This doesn't qualify as a like-for-like replacement. Like-for-like replacements do not involve different equipment or device types and generally do not require permitting. MCCB's can provide GFCI protection whereas fuses cannot. Yes it is safer with GFCI protection. That's why it is now required. Its not like its unsafe all of a sudden, its been that way for a long time. The liability is leaving it that way knowing todays standards or putting on the blinders and not wanting to look beyond the panelboard.

I do it for all my jobs - whether its myself or someone under my supervision to do the job walk, survey or review of data provided. Where I physically cannot verify pertinent information, I disclose any assumptions and plan for the worst. One option when scope is unknown is to do the work on a T&M NTE basis, but I am pretty selective and will not accept every job (especially with a history of problems unless the client is committed to go all the way and is intending to hire me for that reason).

I deal with a lot of old industrial type facilities where things can easily snowball and implicate more work the owner did not consider. Most of the time my clients have an idea about what is going on, so its not the same as dealing with a little old lady who needs a receptacle replaced. Either way, a good contract with contingency and provisions to handle change orders is your best friend and tells the client what to expect so you can get paid.
at least in my neck of the woods it’s all about the number. Most people regardless of the dangers and warnings simply only ask for the specific job price and then say my husband can put in the GFCI receptacles. Never gets inspected maybe I get a call later because lights are flickering. But you get the idea anyone calling for an estimate think your just being a salesman and trying to pad a estimate and you never get the job. A person gets three estimates yours has GFCI protection added on as well as permit fees and inspection fees the other two are $500 cheaper. Yours will be the best most safe and inspected install but you’ll never get the job. it tough sometimes.

Smash

Imo there should always be boilerplate in the contract about how to handle scope creep, incidental/coincident/unexpected work (especially anything outside of your control), change-orders, and owner vs contractor responsibilities. Sometimes we need to spell everything out for the owner so they can make an informed decision about the risk in proceeding with the proposed work.
IMO in a very competitive market you will be left behind doing paperwork for a job you’ll never get. I don’t disagree with you not at all and have been guilty of doing just that. In fact in my current NYC nightmare where I find things like 12/2 BX used as a 50Amp range line the homeowner says to me “we don’t need the works just fix the lights flickering problem.”

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
I do it for all my jobs - whether its myself or someone under my supervision to do the job walk, survey or review of data provided.

at least in my neck of the woods it’s all about the number. Most people regardless of the dangers and warnings simply only ask for the specific job price and then say my husband can put in the GFCI receptacles. Never gets inspected maybe I get a call later because lights are flickering. But you get the idea anyone calling for an estimate think your just being a salesman and trying to pad a estimate and you never get the job. A person gets three estimates yours has GFCI protection added on as well as permit fees and inspection fees the other two are $500 cheaper. Yours will be the best most safe and inspected install but you’ll never get the job. it tough sometimes.
No one said contracting is easy. What you are describing is the pressure to lower ones standard (and integrity) to win work. A conversation to help educate the the owner can go a long way. I have won work I estimated twice as high as what the competition was offering simply because I had a detailed discussion about what I would do vs. what everyone else actually quoted them in disguise.

Below is is a good thread related to this:

Jon456

My experience has been if you pose the issue as a safety problem, most reasonable people will pay to do the right thing.

You should read this:

Post in thread 'Interesting service calls' https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/interesting-service-calls.2563868/post-2705512

Pay particular attention to the part about the woman whose house could have gone up in flames. I bet for every person who's willing to pay extra for additional electrical improvements beyond the problem that caused them to call an electrician in the first place, there's two who will refuse.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
I bet for every person who's willing to pay extra for additional electrical improvements beyond the problem that caused them to call an electrician in the first place, there's two who will refuse.
While it's only my personal preference, the two who will refuse are the types of customers I will tend to avoid. I have no problem telling them to look elsewhere.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
There is no "like for like" replacement requirement found in the NEC. Unless it is something required by a local AHJ, it is not a requirement, even if once in a blue moon it is a good idea.
Agreed. The like-for-like clause really comes from the local building code exemption for pulling a permit. They allow you to do the work without a permit because nothing is "changing" other than a direct replacement of devices/equipment to repair or re-instate the original system. Thus no inspection required. When you deviate from like-for-like replacements, its now a different animal. The version of the NEC adopted always applies though. The question is, when you pull a permit, which edition of the code are you working under?

ritelec

see post #27 second paragraph

"just" replace a couple of GFI's..... there are no five minute jobs,

Ok, you decide to just replace a couple of gfi's, you open the kitchen receptacles and they are on a 15 amp circ with the lights.... now what?

I've been reading your posts... you have no argument.

The gfi's are NOT part of the panel change contract.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If all this B.S. becomes required in Ct. I will retire tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.