14/4 w/ ground - NM cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

donf

I have a spec that calls for multiple installations of 3 way switches to conform with the 2011 NEC.

First, Virginia has not as yet adopted 2011. We are still on 2008 until the next release of the BC. I have gone through Lowes, HD, Grainger, Graybar without any joy.

Any ideas, short of conduit and 4 THHN individual wires.

raider1

Staff member
I assume you are talking about the 2011 NEC requirement for neutrals to be brought to every switch location.

If you arrange your 3 way switches correctly you do not need 14/4 NM cable. Arrange your 3 way switches to avoid dead end 3 ways.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Chris-- Is there a special reason why you need 14/4 NM.

FYI- 14/4 or 14/2/2 generally is a special order in many areas.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I agree with Chris-- Is there a special reason why you need 14/4 NM.

FYI- 14/4 or 14/2/2 generally is a special order in many areas.

I think it might have something to do with a neutral being required in newer code/local code or for electronic sensors if its a switch leg 3 way?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Just feed one end of the 3 way, and take the load out of the other end... problem solved...
Exactly and as others said. Even before the new requirement for a neutral, as a rule, I always did it this way. Same for single switch points-I was never a fan of dead end (switch loops) switching. Maybe because I was heavily involved with lighting control at an early stage of the game. Of course there is the rare occasion where non dead ends are not practical and XX/4 cable would be handy.

donf

I know exactly that issue but that can be solved easily without 14/4.

Okay, have a "Spec" that is requiring the use of 14/4, per 2011 NEC. Even though we here in VA. are still using the 2008 edition.

I know how to wire the switch pair with 3 wire.

What I don't know is where to find 14/4. None of my local resources have it.

mwm1752

I believe the cable is referred as 14-2-2 nm/ 12-2-2 nm capable of containing 2 - 120v circuits with their own grounded conductor for each circuit. What NEC article is it the spec requires 14-4nm? If it involves the grounded conductor then the spec for 14-4nm is not required when the same result can be achieved with 14-3 nm

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I believe the cable is referred as 14-2-2 nm/ 12-2-2 nm capable of containing 2 - 120v circuits with their own grounded conductor for each circuit. What NEC article is it the spec requires 14-4nm? If it involves the grounded conductor then the spec for 14-4nm is not required when the same result can be achieved with 14-3 nm

14/4 is made as well as 14/2/2 -- they are different animals.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Southwire makes both 14/4-- Black/Red/Blue/White and 14/2/2 --Black/White and Red/ White with red tracer. Tell you suppliers to order it but I don't know why it is in the specs.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Okay, have a "Spec" that is requiring the use of 14/4, per 2011 NEC. Even though we here in VA. are still using the 2008 edition. I know how to wire the switch pair with 3 wire. What I don't know is where to find 14/4. None of my local resources have it.
Who is specifying this? Someone with electrical knowledge or just some architect that knows the code requires a grounded conductor so threw that spec in? Is the spec actually telling you how to wire the 3-way switches including which switch the line and load connect? If you are not dead-ending the 3-ways what is the 4th wire supposed to be connected to? If you really need 4-wire cable any supply house can order it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.