Fishing tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbwsparky

Jack chain and magnet in uninsulated walls,or fiberglass fish sticks or glow sticks in insulated walls,but nothing beats a 4inch holesaw when wall repairs are allowed,just save the holes you cut out for repairs

ichimo23

I also havent had much luck with the flex bit. Hit one nail and they are garbage... One trick I use to prevent damaging the wall with the bit is to bend a piece of sheet metal to hang on the cutout. I have pieces cut to fit neatly in 1 and 2 gang cutouts. I shredded several neat drywall cutouts before I figured this trick out.

Occupation
Inspector
I also havent had much luck with the flex bit. Hit one nail and they are garbage... One trick I use to prevent damaging the wall with the bit is to bend a piece of sheet metal to hang on the cutout. I have pieces cut to fit neatly in 1 and 2 gang cutouts. I shredded several neat drywall cutouts before I figured this trick out.

I have used LV old work frames to protect the drywall the few times I have used the flex bit. I have not had a great deal of success with them either

e57

Flex bits - I flat out refuse to use them without a waiver of damages.... Sure you 'could' get it through there with an educated guess on what you drilling to or through... That said I have had to call plumbers before, and once accidentally drilled a hole very very close to a priceless art work in the building next door!

You are for all intensive purposes drilling blind 6' away...

bikeindy

I am glad to see all the replys about not using flex bits. The ones that I posted from greenlee are easier to use then the ones from the past. If so many of you from around the country wont use them that means many wont use them here either. We have had our trials with them but with some work you can get very good at it. to know what is in the wall is ultimately impossible, but we have all been around construction and can figure out what might or might not be in your way pretty well. I have won a number of jobs this year because I was direct and told the customer what I can and can not do. while others said they could not make ANY promises. I will make certain promises to customers and educate them on what I CAN do for them. for those of you willing to take the challenge to do more of this work it is very rewarding. We have made many customers happy with this type work and the referrals keep coming in.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oh, I use flex-bits when they're the right tool. I've gotten very good at knowing what I'm hitting by feel and how far the bit moves forward after penetrating the last framing member.

Looking at upstairs plumbing fixtures and HVAC outlets can go a long way toward avoiding hitting those utilities. Keeping the tip of the bit down close to the ceiling drywall helps, too.

When adding recessed lighting in a kitchen with living space above, flex-bits are almost a necessity in order to avoid patching. They're also the best way to get wiring to a new switch.

480sparky

Who said they were? The OP was asking for tips about fishing tools.

No one in particular. But some may think that they work like magic when instead, just like any tool, they have to be used with a certain amount of common sense.

For instance, the photo in the catalog or on the web site may show how easy it is to drill sideways through 4 stud cavities, but they don't want to show you what happens when there's a 3" PVC plumbing vent in one of them.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For instance, the photo in the catalog or on the web site may show how easy it is to drill sideways through 4 stud cavities, but they don't want to show you what happens when there's a 3" PVC plumbing vent in one of them.
The shouldn't oughta hafta. Those warnings don't come with 18" augers, either.

rich000

Oh, I use flex-bits when they're the right tool. I've gotten very good at knowing what I'm hitting by feel and how far the bit moves forward after penetrating the last framing member.

Looking at upstairs plumbing fixtures and HVAC outlets can go a long way toward avoiding hitting those utilities. Keeping the tip of the bit down close to the ceiling drywall helps, too.

When adding recessed lighting in a kitchen with living space above, flex-bits are almost a necessity in order to avoid patching. They're also the best way to get wiring to a new switch.

How do you avoid hitting the wiring stapled along the joists?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How do you avoid hitting the wiring stapled along the joists?
Another reason for keeping near the joist bottoms. Plus, the wire usually is slack enough to move aside.

There's always some risk, which is why the job cost is high enough to cover a bit of patching if necessary.

bikeindy

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MAGNEPULL_LS&utm_source=mailchimp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1229m

Hands down this is THE BEST fishing tool out there! I cant tell you how much time I save with this tool! I can fish an insulated wall 10' in about 10 sec. or less. I bought this tool about a year ago and I would say after 2 weeks it paid for itself. Everyone that sees it in action wants one or buys one.

They sell magnets and chain for a lot less than $100 I have been using that trick for years. I don't have a handy case for my magnets but they fit nice in a tool box.

480sparky

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/Produ...mailchimp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1229m

Hands down this is THE BEST fishing tool out there! I cant tell you how much time I save with this tool! I can fish an insulated wall 10' in about 10 sec. or less. I bought this tool about a year ago and I would say after 2 weeks it paid for itself. Everyone that sees it in action wants one or buys one.

I do the same this with my Creepzits and the attachements I pictured in post #19. I already had the sticks, and the brass fitting and chain only cost about $3.

smo

The magnepull is different then the "wet noodle" or chain and magnet. Watch the video on the link above. It really is a handy tool, and worth the $100.00 IMO. I agree, if all you are after is a ball chain and magnet, you can get it cheap. But this is more.

bikeindy

The magnepull is different then the "wet noodle" or chain and magnet. Watch the video on the link above. It really is a handy tool, and worth the $100.00 IMO. I agree, if all you are after is a ball chain and magnet, you can get it cheap. But this is more.

Yes $97 more. I saw the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.