in lieu of a Split-bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

we use split bolts becuase there is no chance it will loosen or break due to temp change or weather. its just been the reliable way weve done it for years.

What makes you think a polaris-type connector is going to loosen or break? :confused:

It's these stone-age attitudes among electricians that truly confuse me.

iwire

Staff member
i enjoy making them up

Yeah spinning tape around something is real great work. :D

How do you feel about taking them apart?

I think its something every apprentice needs to be taught

Sure ....... they can take that class right after how to make a braid spice as shown above ........ sometimes it is time to let the old methods go. :D

we use split bolts because there is no chance it will loosen or break due to temp change or weather. its just been the reliable way weve done it for years.

I have repaired many failed split bolt connections, I have stripped split bolts when tightening them up. I have yet to see a Polaris fail although I am sure some will.

I say
DOWN WITH SPLIT BOLTS!

icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif

They should be illegal.:wink:​

peter d

i enjoy making them up i think its something every apprentice needs to be taught

If you ever want to go into business for yourself, you need to stop thinking this way. Trust me on this.

Sure, for an hourly worker who wants to milk a job, yeah, split bolts are great. For a contractor, not so much.

electricalperson

if a splitbolt is wrapped in the plastic backing of the rubber tape or something like that before the rubber is applied it shouldnt be too difficult to remove

whats next? will they will invent something faster than a polaris connector?

"i hate polaris connectors they take too long!"

what do you do if you have a splitbolt and rubber tape in your truck but no polaris connector if you forgot to buy one or needed an extra one?

i have splitbolts and rubber tape in my truck

peter d

whats next? will they will invent something faster than a polaris connector?

Hopefully. I love any product that helps me complete a job faster. :cool:

what do you do if you have a splitbolt and rubber tape in your truck but no polaris connector if you forgot to buy one or needed an extra one?

I would kick myself in the butt for being such a numbskull, and then remember to order more polaris connectors next time.

i have splitbolts and rubber tape in my truck

And?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
We still use split bolts here for overhead service changes, but that's only because the POCO then comes back and cuts them off and uses high press crimps.

I like the polaris too, but I agree that you still need a wrap of tape to keep the caps on.

electricalperson

i have a feeling if i worked with either you peter or iwire i would get yelled at :D

just because something is faster does it make it better? i never had a split bolt fail that i worked on. if they are made up properly they wont fail

i just think we should use whatever method we are comfortable with. i would use a polaris connector if i had one. 99% of the time we dont have those anyway. thats the reason why i prefer split bolts to insulated tap connectors

peter wont hire me now :D

peter d

just because something is faster does it make it better?

In the case of what we're talking about here, split bolts vs. polaris connectors, there is no comparison whatsoever. And generally speaking, faster is better.

i just think we should use whatever method we are comfortable with.

I prefer to use methods that make my job easier and maximize profit.

i would use a polaris connector if i had one. 99% of the time we dont have those anyway. thats the reason why i prefer split bolts to insulated tap connectors

You apparently work for a cheapskate who is stuck using outdated methods. But just because your boss is cheap doesn't mean you should dislike an advanced technology.

peter wont hire me now :D

You've expressed an interest in going out on your own. I'm simply trying to adjust your mindset to that of a business owner rather than an hourly employee. :)

big john

For big stuff, Polaris is definitely the way to go. But if I'm not in a hurry, and only have a couple of small wires to join, I do like the "craft" of making up a good split-bolt.

As far as removing them, if the last guy did their first wrap of tape sticky-side-out, then no big deal. If not.... :mad:

-John

electricalperson

For big stuff, Polaris is definitely the way to go. But if I'm not in a hurry, and only have a couple of small wires to join, I do like the "craft" of making up a good split-bolt.

As far as removing them, if the last guy did their first wrap of tape sticky-side-out, then no big deal. If not.... :mad:

-John

amen brother:D

sometimes its easier just to cut them off if there is enough slack. usually a person that knows what hes doing does something to make it easy to cut the tape off if needed

one thing i dont like about polaris connectors is sometimes there is space between the conductor and the insulation on the connector and you can see metal inside if the wire is smaller than the largest size wire the connector takes. if they are used on a service drop i wrap them with tape real good to keep the water out.

burndys on the other hand dont let water in and have no gaps where people can get electrocuted on

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
one thing i dont like about polaris connectors is sometimes there is space between the conductor and the insulation on the connector and you can see metal inside if the wire is smaller than the largest size wire the connector takes. if they are used on a service drop i wrap them with tape real good to keep the water out.

burndys on the other hand dont let water in and have no gaps where people can get electrocuted on

Seriously? If you strip the wires correctly so the insulation goes up inside the connector it wouldn't be an issue. I can't even believe you're even worried about people getting electrocuted anyhow. If you think they're going to touch the metal inside the connector, they'd have to use a long skinny screwdriver and do it on purpose. About the same shock potential as sticking something in a receptacle, BUT THIS IS ON A ROOF!

As far as water intrusion, how will water get inside if you buy the type with the ports on only one side?

peter d

Seriously? If you strip the wires correctly so the insulation goes up inside the connector it wouldn't be an issue. I can't even believe you're even worried about people getting electrocuted anyhow.

Right. This is the attitude that results from the "we have to protect the unqualified" crowd. I make installations with the assumption that a qualified person will work on them. As for the unqualified, they don't exist in my mind. :cool:

iwire

Staff member
if a split bolt is wrapped in the plastic backing of the rubber tape or something like that before the rubber is applied it shouldn't be too difficult to remove

But what is the advantage ........... there is no advantage only that you like wrapping tape.

whats next? will they will invent something faster than a Polaris connector?

Maybe, and maybe it will be better and maybe it will not be, only time will tell.

what do you do if you have a split bolt and rubber tape in your truck but no Polaris connector if you forgot to buy one or needed an extra one?

Then I would use a split bolt, I adjust to conditions, I am not a prima donna that can only work with certain items. :smile:

one thing i don't like about Polaris connectors is sometimes there is space between the conductor and the insulation on the connector and you can see metal inside if the wire is smaller than the largest size wire the connector takes. if they are used on a service drop i wrap them with tape real good to keep the water out.

IMO you should leave the tape to the homeowners, IMO all your doing is keeping water in.

burndys on the other hand don't let water in and have no gaps where people can get electrocuted on

Follow the conductor back towards the source and you will notice the power company leaves them bare at the transformer. Water is not the issue you make it out to be.

As far as the 'electrocuted on' you can not be serious, if you make the connector up correctly you would have to intentionally insert something into the void. If that space in a Polaris is dangerous so is any receptacle.

Use what you like, it is your work.

Me I still say down with spit bolts, K&T and live front gear. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.