Inspector says my zigzagged vanity wires have to be in a box

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I remember years ago we did a bunch of retail shops, I was getting a final on the last retail shop, it was a really small corner space, only five circuits. The inspector wanted to turn me down because it didn’t have a main. Told him the main was in the meter room just like all of the others. He still didn’t want to budge, so I told him it was the “six switch” rule! He said ok, and passed it. While signing off, he told me he was wiring his own house, and asked what kind of wire did he need for switched outlets?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is it compliant to mount a fixture to a switch box (with 6-32 screws instead of 8-32)?

Yes if it is wall mounted.

314,27(A)(1) Vertical Surface Outlets. Boxes used at luminaire or lampholder
outlets in or on a vertical surface shall be identified and
marked on the interior of the box to indicate the maximum
weight of the luminaire that is permitted to be supported by
the box if other than 23 kg (50 lb).
Exception: A vertically mounted luminaire or lampholder weighing not
more than 3 kg (6 lb) shall be permitted to be supported on other boxes
or plaster rings that are secured to other boxes, provided that the luminaire
or its supporting yoke, or the lampholder, is secured to the box with
no fewer than two No. 6 or larger screws.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ouch. Since we are on stereotypes now, I'm betting you drive a big truck.
Not really. My biggest "truck" is a '99 E250 extended body, but I usually drive my '04 Montana mini-van.

In my opinion, pick-up trucks (if that's what you meant) are among the most impractical vehicles of all.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
..Gosh.. I really do like that.. Going to hit "print" & "pin" to my wall board, just above my desk.:D
The full quote:

"Those who can, do, those who can't, teach."

George Bernard Shaw, from the play Man and Superman. It is frequently added to, generating something like:

"Those who can, do, those who can't, teach, those who can't teach, become journalists." Or whatever group you want to disparage at the moment.

JohnE

So my main question to all is . "Does the NEC specifically indicate that pop-in or renovation boxes can not be used on new construction" ?
The inspector said that I need to prove to him that it does not specifically say that. Because he thinks it does.

That is easy to prove. Hand him the NEC and say "see, it doesn't specifically sat that anywhere in this code". Inspector is way off base. Cutting in vanity lights in "old work" boxes is the norm here.

JohnE

The full quote:

"Those who can, do, those who can't, teach."

George Bernard Shaw, from the play Man and Superman. It is frequently added to, generating something like:

"Those who can, do, those who can't, teach, those who can't teach, become journalists." Or whatever group you want to disparage at the moment.

"those who can't teach inspect" has been used here for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.