Living under transmission lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fish4evr

My wife and I are looking at buying a home and found one we really like. However there is high voltage transmission lines runing through the property. Not the huge steel tower's, but they are not distribution lines ether. Everything I've read says it is believed that living close to these types of lines can cause things like Leukemia. But nothing has been "Proven". We have kids and want a safe place for them. Any one with knowledge about this subject? I'm a journeyman not a lineman, and don't work with anything that big.

Fish4evr

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My wife and I are looking at buying a home and found one we really like. However there is high voltage transmission lines runing through the property. Not the huge steel tower's, but they are not distribution lines ether. Everything I've read says it is believed that living close to these types of lines can cause things like Leukemia. But nothing has been "Proven". We have kids and want a safe place for them. Any one with knowledge about this subject? I'm a journeyman not a lineman, and don't work with anything that big.

Fish4evr

Personally I would not do it. Especially with kids who cannot make that choice for themselves.

Although nothing is "proven" the evidence is strong enough to give me concern.

Of course, that really does also depend on how far from the house and/or play areas the lines are located. Can you tell us more?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Would I personally do it? No. Are there others who do? Yes There has been a mostly proven link to childhood leukemia.

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
I had a drill sergeant that would routinely ask me if I was raised under power lines.

I've seen a non contact voltage detector light up under power lines so there are definitely some strong emf's. Not sure if it's a health concern or not.

JFletcher

Welcome to the forum.

If the safety and well being of your children is your #1 concern, I'd be far more interested in things like radon, CO detectors, asbestos insulation, lead paint, proper framing of any decks more than 2' off the ground, the house's electrical system (TR receptacles, GFCI protection, etc.), water heater thermostat being set correctly, child-proof locks on cabinets, the school system they will be attending, crime rates, etc etc etc before even thinking about high power transmission lines.

How high power? Our neighborhood has 34.5kV (19920V/ph) overhead lines that are maybe 24' off the ground. Another nearby neighborhood has, I believe, 138kV towers on the backside right of way of one street, and there's plenty of old folks in good health that have lived there their entire lives.

A major dependency will how near you actually are to the lines, their voltage, and how much they actually radiate; if you don't know the field strength, everything is raw guesswork.

(I, too, would be more concerned that the kids eat a good diet, get exercise, don't play in traffic, have a loving home, etc, that I would be about the fields from most transmission lines.)

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer...k/radiation/electromagnetic-fields-fact-sheet
"Exposure from power lines. Although a study in 1979 pointed to a possible association between living near electric power lines and childhood leukemia (15), more recent studies have had mixed findings (16–24). Most of these studies did not find an association or found one only for those children who lived in homes with very high levels of magnetic fields, which are present in few residences."

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
I had several customers call us (POCO) to measure the "danger" under power lines. These were 125KV and 60KV transmission feeding substations. The Miligauss meter I used showed no difference under, near or a long distance away. More EM flux was read very near the electric service Kwh meter but even that was not much. Now next to the microwave oven when it was on....that was pretty high. Electric blanket was huge. Even measured inside substations the flux is minimal.....I'd say nothing to be concerned about.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
This is one of those things where a study might show that a health condition increases from a 1 in 2000 chance to a one in 1 in 1200 chance. (Numbers I found in one google result.) Then they go and call that a 67% increase in risk, but calling it a 0.033% increase makes a good deal more sense to me.

I mean, I agree that all else being equal it's probably not a good thing to have. But as JFletcher pointed out there are possibly much more serious concerns with other houses that you can't see with your eyes.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Now next to the microwave oven when it was on....that was pretty high. Electric blanket was huge. Even measured inside substations the flux is minimal.....I'd say nothing to be concerned about.

Did your meter check for any higher harmonic frequencies, or just 60HZ distribution? The higher frequencies may be more concerning.

ramsy

Occupation
Operating under high-voltage transmission lines provides some businesses acres of free land, particularly commercial-landscape nursery's that seek utility property "easements" (land management leases) in exchange for free rent.

These businesses are Savvy consumers, because they open shop within a land easement, the same easement opportunities apply to small neighborhood developments (AKA) Intentional communities, such as ic.org

ramsy

Occupation
While actual hazard is uncertain, Cavet Emptor (buyer beware) is critical where building permits are routinely granted within potential, or historical hazards, managed by indemnity clauses, which sellers add to the fine print, and wait for the ignorance of blissful buyers.

In the States, properly developments are built on utility conduits, abandoned wells, mines, municipal dumps, radioactive disposal sites, land-subsiding sink holes, alligator swamps, in the path of aircraft runways, flood zones, avalanche zones, and volcano's, with little regard for common sense, or historical-disaster records.

The right to exploit stupidity, and gambling is protected in the States, and the record shows insurance policy historically void pay outs with indemnity, go bankrupt, or default to State welfare, and Federal-disaster relief.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
I know...."Stop confusing me with facts"....I think a tin foil hat and rubber boots might reduce the risk.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
And it also gives you the chance to sell the Stetzerizer.

'n i didn't even know that there was a Stetzerwhaever....
some folks call it BS, some call it Gospel.

living in california, i'm conveniently close to ground zero
for batchit crazy, and it's pretty hard to honestly know the truth,
if you are getting your facts from the media.

depending on what you read, militarily we have an aircraft carrier
38' off the coast of north korea, or halfway to austrailia, to make
a point about what "facts" are in your supperbowl.

i just read something on my facebook feed, that the sure cure for
ALL cancers, is baking soda and honey. wipes those suckers right out.

to the original poster, my advice is..... buy the house, line the basement
with lead foil for nuclear fallout, if the boat is in the south china sea,
buy a bbq, for if the boat is going to austrailia, and get some baking soda
no matter what.

don't forget the honey, as well. they say it's important.

ah. almost forgot. there is supposed to be an announcement of a big
tax break next week. my experience with big tax breaks is that if you
are the one that it is being announced to, it doesn't benefit you much.

enjoy your house. turn off the news. and for god's sake, don't google.

fish4evr

"don't forget the honey, as well. they say it's important."

Well, where ever we end up moving we were planning on getting our own bees. So at least we will have that going for us.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
"don't forget the honey, as well. they say it's important."

Well, where ever we end up moving we were planning on getting our own bees. So at least we will have that going for us.

not to worry then. buy the house. if you hear humming, blame the bees,
mix up some honey and baking soda, and smear it all over the porcelain insulators.
no more cancer problems. the baking soda will keep the cancer from tracking
up the porcelain.

that's how you catch it, you know. i just saw it on facebook......

taking tongue out of cheek, and derailing the thread entirely...... if you are
raising bees, good for you. we've got a real problem there, and it's a sucker
punch. far more dangerous than EMF's.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/business/a-bee-mogul-confronts-the-crisis-in-his-field.html

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
345kV line that was built near here about a year ago was routed so it would not be near existing residences. Entire segment of line is in rural areas, with some industrial sites near the source end of this line.

Don't remember how far they were wanting to stay away from residences when they were planning the route, but it was at least 200 maybe up to 500 feet. If someone wants to build a new home close now that it is up, I guess that is their own problem.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Fish4evr

I think you are going to have to make your own judgement call on this one. Nobody knows for sure. I'd suggest reading some of the online info like this:

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/lymphoma/news/20050602/child-leukemia-again-linked-to-power-lines#2

But remember, a study that proves a correlation between people living near power lines and a health problem does not prove the power lines caused the problem. There could be other explanations.

For example, houses with power lines close by could be less expensive than other houses. That might mean slightly poorer people tend to live in those houses. Those slightly poorer people might be more likely to smoke, and less likely to eat healthy diets. A good study will try to account for varying factors like this, but there will always be varying opinions on how much weight each factor should have.

kwired

Electron manager
I think you are going to have to make your own judgement call on this one. Nobody knows for sure. I'd suggest reading some of the online info like this:

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/lymphoma/news/20050602/child-leukemia-again-linked-to-power-lines#2

But remember, a study that proves a correlation between people living near power lines and a health problem does not prove the power lines caused the problem. There could be other explanations.

For example, houses with power lines close by could be less expensive than other houses. That might mean slightly poorer people tend to live in those houses. Those slightly poorer people might be more likely to smoke, and less likely to eat healthy diets. A good study will try to account for varying factors like this, but there will always be varying opinions on how much weight each factor should have.
Those people may not have same living conditions as other groups of people leaving the variables that might effect their health wide open.

Smoking does seem to be more common around those that can't as easily afford to do it anyway though.

Alcohol, drugs seem to hit all income levels, though exactly what they do use may vary based on their financial abilities.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

So, no one has explored a link to child leukemia and herbicides?

https://www.polkburnett.com/content/herbicide-program

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...vvqqntd9Qq9kdV1mQ&sig2=OQdA_iuXav_luvjs684ZPA

http://www.cookcountynews-herald.com/news/2009-08-08/news/030.html

http://powersource.post-gazette.com...s-a-challenge-arises-PUC/stories/201605170004

Status
Not open for further replies.