Panel photos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I have been following another thread and these photos appeared. I did not want to hijack the other tread so i thought I would start a new one.

I have a question or two for Ty who posted these photos:

1 - Is the first photo the same as the second, ie... is the SER I see in the first the same cable in the second photo?

2 - Is this the Main panel?

ty

I have been following another thread and these photos appeared. I did not want to hijack the other tread so i thought I would start a new one.

I have a question or two for Ty who posted these photos:

1 - Is the first photo the same as the second, ie... is the SER I see in the first the same cable in the second photo?

2 - Is this the Main panel?

I just saw this thread.

1. This is the same panel. the same SER. the first photo was before it was cut in with breakers, the second was after.

2. That depends on what you are calling the main panel.
There is a 200amp w/p disconnect outside next to the meter. from the disconnect there is SER going to this panel.

Cavie

They are factory installed.
Need to run (1) EG to (1) bar. Other bar is bonded to can from factory.

I have stopped inspecting since the 2008 came out in Florida, but didn't I read that the two bars must be connected not relying on the metal of the can?

Occupation
Inspector
Since there is a Disconnect at the Meter does the "six throw"
rule still apply? Could this panel have been a MLO?

I understand, I think, that if this panel were in a separate structure it would need to be a MB panel, right or wrong?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Since there is a Disconnect at the Meter does the "six throw"
rule still apply? Could this panel have been a MLO?

I understand, I think, that if this panel were in a separate structure it would need to be a MB panel, right or wrong?

There was no need for a main breaker in this panel. I have found that some MB panels are as cheap as the ML panels.

If this was a separate structure the same rules apply a disconnect is required or the six handle rule may apply.

ty

There was no need for a main breaker in this panel. I have found that some MB panels are as cheap as the ML panels.

You got it.
But there is more to that story on this particular service.

We are using the new snap on neutral AFCI breakers, which require this loadcenter.
The service materials were purchased and delivered on site.
Due to sump pit relocated (unknowingly beforehand), and the plumber's vent and hose bib, and heat guys ductwork, We relocated the panel location which called for a disconnect outside.
Builder paid the difference.

jwjrw

If he has a disconnect outside would that not make this a sub panel? If so shouldnt it be bonded in the disconnect and the ser cable neutral and ground seperated? Maybe I misread some of the posts.

For the record here we would of had to protect any romex with carflex to the recep and possibly the top of panel also.

Status
Not open for further replies.