rough-in rejected

Status
Not open for further replies.

geovan

In regaurd to the Inspector. This is a home owner permit. We all know we must call the "AHJ" for a final inspection. How many home owners really call for a final inspection? Alot.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
And when they finally do, because someone called, that someone better have all of his ducks in a row.:) That goes for contractors or inspectors.
Please explain!
I know we should always have are stuff right but why the absolute?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Please explain!
I know we should always have are stuff right but why the absolute?

I was being more facetious than factual, but I have had experience with it first hand also.

If the job has gotten to the point where the BO has to leave his office and check on it, you as the contractor had better have done everything right, because what you are saying is that one of his trained staff (deputies) doesn't know his job. On the other had as the inspector you had better be able to back up your call with a code section.

Now for just a little more clarification and not all departments are set up the same, but by the time you have gotten to my BO, you have gone over the head of my supervisor and my deputy BO.

One of the times it happened and I was correct, I was told by the BO that the contractor wanted to make sure that he got a "by the book inspection" as he winked at me. That, is a very thourough and long inspection, that book is really thick. ;)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I was being more facetious than factual, but I have had experience with it first hand also.

If the job has gotten to the point where the BO has to leave his office and check on it, you as the contractor had better have done everything right, because what you are saying is that one of his trained staff (deputies) doesn't know his job. On the other had as the inspector you had better be able to back up your call with a code section.

Now for just a little more clarification and not all departments are set up the same, but by the time you have gotten to my BO, you have gone over the head of my supervisor and my deputy BO.

One of the times it happened and I was correct, I was told by the BO that the contractor wanted to make sure that he got a "by the book inspection" as he winked at me. That, is a very thourough and long inspection, that book is really thick. ;)

Got it!
Sometimes it takes a while for me to see the light.

Jim W in Tampa

OK i must ask, why did he even go over your head. I am sure you sited the number and would have exsplained it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
OK i must ask, why did he even go over your head. I am sure you sited the number and would have exsplained it.

Sorry that story was less about a code section than about somebody who wanted an early power release.

The second one was kind of my fault, but I did explain it to the contractor when I was on site. For some reason I couldn't remember article 250.119 so I showed him 200.6(A) and told him that it said the exact same thing (I couldn't remember the number, but I knew what it said) only it said green instead of white and he said ok he understood.

When I got back to the office the boss wanted to know what went on and I explained to him what happened and even showed him what the book said. He told me that the guy had told him that I was a complete idiot and didn't know the difference between a grounding conductor and a grounded conductor and from now on he wanted a by the book inspection and so my boss told me to give him one.

When I next showed up to the job for final, I again asked if he wanted a by the book inspection as he had requested and he said yes. I then sat down on the curb and opend up the book and told him that we were going to read every single code section and as we got to something that pertained to his job then we would look at it and make sure it complied. The first section I read him was 90.4 and said, hey that's me (and in this city it is me). We weren't very far through article 110 before he told me he got the point.

No body want's a "by the book inspection" and that would include me, what you want is a through, fair, complete inspection based on the code.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
What I meant was how does the inspector identify which of the circuits with a #12 in the panel are the ones that have #14 in them?

Shouldn't the panel be labeled? Chances are, the inspector should have noted which room and/or outlets had the #14 on them and look for the label in the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.