Single Phase current draw for a 3 phase output VFD: technical discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
170527-0812 EDT

Smart $:

The difference in the input to the VFD between single phase input and three phase input is solely a function of the circuitry between the AC input and the DC bus filter capacitor for a constant motor load.

Everything beyond the filter capacitor remains unchanged for a constant motor load if the filter capacitor voltage is held constant. Ideally we can expect that connecting to an AC waveform of the same peak to peak voltage will produce the same DC bus voltage independent of whether the input is three or single phase.

What the input current waveform is for three or single phase will be dependent upon that circuitry.

Ideally? Really? I'd say that's along with the rest is a given. What we want is a numerical basis for choosing a properly sized VFD. I believe everyone participating here knows that a properly sized 3Ø VFD connected to 1Ø supply can power a 3Ø motor. Let's identify the characteristics that affect the "properly sized" aspect of choosing a VFD rather than saying this depends on that without being any closer to decision parameters.

gar

Occupation
EE
170527-1200 EDT

Smart $:

The original thread was about using an existing 3 phase VFD, motor, and fan in a new application that only had single phase available, and the new application was different than whatever the VFD system had been originally ordered for. Question was could it be used. The question was not about buying a new VFD.

Very early on in that original thread Jaref and I suggested the diodes and capacitor were probably the limiting items. Jaref considered the capacitor as probably the more important limiting factor. I think I might now agree, whereas originally I was probably more on the diode side.

For wharever reason, probably the title of this thread, this thread has not had much discussion on the real question of the original thread.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
170527-1200 EDT

Smart $:

The original thread was about using an existing 3 phase VFD, motor, and fan in a new application that only had single phase available, and the new application was different than whatever the VFD system had been originally ordered for. Question was could it be used. The question was not about buying a new VFD.

Very early on in that original thread Jaref and I suggested the diodes and capacitor were probably the limiting items. Jaref considered the capacitor as probably the more important limiting factor. I think I might now agree, whereas originally I was probably more on the diode side.

For wharever reason, probably the title of this thread, this thread has not had much discussion on the real question of the original thread.

We are not in that thread, nor is the discussion about that thread. Please read post #1 in this thread: http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=184232&p=1831574#post1831574

gar

Occupation
EE
170527-1500 EDT

Why should an AC to DC power supply designed for 3 phase input with a 0.95 power factor at full load be expected to still have an 0.95 power factor at any load when supplied from single phase?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
170527-1500 EDT

Why should an AC to DC power supply designed for 3 phase input with a 0.95 power factor at full load be expected to still have an 0.95 power factor at any load when supplied from single phase?

How does an AC-DC-AC power supply even have a power factor to begin with?

Ingenieur

Most vfd mfgs say 1.732 or 2, next std size up for power
some say same factors based on current

back from conference/vaca
breaking out the matlab/simulink

Last edited:

gar

Occupation
EE
170527-1853 EDT

Smart $:

Power factor is only meaningful as applied to a two terminal load. The definition is PF = W/Eeff*Ieff from "Analysis of AC Circuits", p 28, Melville B. Stout, Professor of Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1952.

A quote from Stout on p 28 "From a laboratory standpoint, power factor is the same for distorted waves as for pure sine waves -- it is the quotient obtained by dividing the wattmeter reading by the product of voltmeter reading by ammeter reading." Obviously from my first paragraph RMS values are implied.

One can extend the definition of power factor from a two terminal device to a balanced three phase load if appropriate voltage and current measurements are used.

The input power factor to a device or system that goes from AC to pure DC and then to something else as the final load were the DC load power and voltage are constant, and that final load has an arbitrary power factor will not have its input power factor affected by the final load power factor. That constant DC bus isolates the input power factor from the final output factor. However, changing the DC load power can change the input power factor.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Is the discussion getting deep enough to start discussing negative, positive, and zero sequence math methods of analyzing 3 phase circuits?:huh:

Or delving into PFC boost circuits and why to get < 0.1% THD and 99.9+ PF only single phase at a time can be rectified (not counting Vienna bridge circuits) and boosted ? :blink:

Just asking :roll:]

Smart $

Esteemed Member
170527-1853 EDT

Smart $:

Power factor is only meaningful as applied to a two terminal load. The definition is PF = W/Eeff*Ieff from "Analysis of AC Circuits", p 28, Melville B. Stout, Professor of Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1952.

A quote from Stout on p 28 "From a laboratory standpoint, power factor is the same for distorted waves as for pure sine waves -- it is the quotient obtained by dividing the wattmeter reading by the product of voltmeter reading by ammeter reading." Obviously from my first paragraph RMS values are implied.

One can extend the definition of power factor from a two terminal device to a balanced three phase load if appropriate voltage and current measurements are used.

The input power factor to a device or system that goes from AC to pure DC and then to something else as the final load were the DC load power and voltage are constant, and that final load has an arbitrary power factor will not have its input power factor affected by the final load power factor. That constant DC bus isolates the input power factor from the final output factor. However, changing the DC load power can change the input power factor.

Okay. I thought as much. So the question narrows to, how does the input stage exhibit a power factor?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Is the discussion getting deep enough to start discussing negative, positive, and zero sequence math methods of analyzing 3 phase circuits?:huh:

Or delving into PFC boost circuits and why to get < 0.1% THD and 99.9+ PF only single phase at a time can be rectified (not counting Vienna bridge circuits) and boosted ? :blink:

Just asking :roll:]
Does starting a discussion of these concepts contribute anything to the original query? If yes, have at it. :D

Ingenieur

OK, here's the model
480/1 in, 480/3 out, 200 HP motor load to 90%
starts under full load, ramps 1200 rpm/sec
took some time to detail the drive parameters, diode characteristics, snubber values, internal R, etc.
also to come up with the control system parameters, gains, etc., used speed control, but torque control can be configured also
bear in mind S is used, not P

S power in/out ~1.084, 8% losses
I in / I out ~ 1.88 (includes losses) (note 1/1.084 x 1.88 ~ 1.73...)

going to play with it some more using different parameters

Attachments

• vfd model.jpg
    vfd model.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1
  • vfd in.jpg
    vfd in.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1
  • vfd out.jpg
    vfd out.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Besoeker

the vfd will impact line pf
usually improve it due to the pwr sup caps
Not so. The caps are after the rectification so don't play a part in PFC.
The input power factor is a product of both displacment and distortion.
Displacement generally isn't a significant factor. The input stage is an uncontrolled rectifier.

the output is determined by the motor and vfd firing angle of the inverter
Does PWM actually have a defined firing angle?
I don't see how but feel free to correct me.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
the vfd will impact line pf
usually improve it due to the pwr sup caps
Displacement generally isn't a significant factor. The input stage is an uncontrolled rectifier.
Not so. Yes, the caps are after the rectification but they contribute significantly to output PFC. Without the caps, the output PF would be passed to the input.

the output is determined by the motor and vfd firing angle of the inverter
He didn't say the output had a defined firing angle. Nevertheless, the firing angle does determine pulse width, does it not?

Ingenieur

Not accurate, they supply reactive power, they impact line and load pf
they don't disappear, although i flow is not continuous, the C is apparent to the line

A contolled firing angle
I'm on my way out the door
I'll try to elaborate later

Phil Corso

Smart_$

I suggest a much simpler circuit consisting of a 1-ph, full-wave rectifier feeding a series R-L load (the motor) through a filter (the capacitor)!

I wlll provide detail if the moderator agrees the approach is not 'superfluous'!

Regards, Phil Corso

Phil Corso

Not accurate, they supply reactive power, they impact line and load pf
they don't disappear, although i flow is not continuous, the C is apparent to the line ...

Whey back when DC loads were supplied with rectifiers connected to Xfmrs, "Utiiization-Factor" was used in place of Power-Factor, i.e., Pdc(out)/VA(in)

Phil Corso!

Besoeker

Not so. Yes, the caps are after the rectification but they contribute significantly to output PFC. Without the caps, the output PF would be passed to the input.
Not so. The input is an uncontrolled rectifier It's unidirectional*.

He didn't say the output had a defined firing angle. Nevertheless, the firing angle does determine pulse width, does it not?
The required output fundamental frequency and voltage determine the switching pattern. The switching frequency is usually a parameter that can be selected within a given range.
We've designed for10kHz or more for high speed machine tool drives - upwards of 20,000 rpm.

*Yes, there are different configurations. I'm referring to the common or garden VFD which was the OP's take I believe.

Besoeker

Smart_$

I suggest a much simpler circuit consisting of a 1-ph, full-wave rectifier feeding a series R-L load (the motor) through a filter (the capacitor)!
If fed from a full wave rectifier it would have to be a DC motor. The op talke aabot a VFD output. That's not DC.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Not so. The input is an uncontrolled rectifier It's unidirectional*.

*Yes, there are different configurations. I'm referring to the common or garden VFD which was the OP's take I believe.
Given a VFD and a motor, a motor that powered without VFD exhibits a significant power factor, if that power factor disappears (becomes insignificant) when powered through the VFD, to what do you attribute the PFC?

:D

The required output fundamental frequency and voltage determine the switching pattern. The switching frequency is usually a parameter that can be selected within a given range.
We've designed for10kHz or more for high speed machine tool drives - upwards of 20,000 rpm.
I will give you credit for one thing, and that is, you sure know how to put a bunch of words together to mean absolutely nothing... and still make it sound important to the debate subject. Have you ever considered becoming a political speechwriter?

:blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.