Too many outlets

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
There’s having some additional outlets then there’s just plain foolishness in locating them a few feet apart around the entire room.

Many times I’ve suggested just having a double duplex here and there instead of spreading them all over.

My opinion also is that too many make the job look like it was done by someone with no knowledge of the code.

For the most part when I space wall outlets they usually end up about 9’ apart.

Gives an uncluttered look and is usually always very functional.
Let's say you have a living room that is 10 x 10. Ignoring any doors, you could put a receptacle in the middle of each wall and call it a day. But you know that most living rooms wind up with a couch and love seat, or a couple of recliners, and the couch is probably going in the middle of a wall, but you don't know which wall. The better course of action is to put outlets 1-1/2 feet off each corner, so you have an outlet for the table lamp no matter where the 7'-8' couch goes.

Beyond the code requirement it's strictly a design issue and not the electrician's responsibility. Nor the inspector's.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
From this statement, I infer that the house is already built. Why, then, was this issue not raised earlier, such as during the rough-in inspection?
I suppose it's possible that there was a change order after the rough-in inspection.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Picture comment: Hmm, could plug all those cords in so nothing shows, and what did they do? Just can't help some people...:ROFLMAO:

8 receptacles per room, 20 rooms, sounds right... OK, 20 receptacles per room, 8 rooms. Still legal.

I think a lot of mine are 6 feet apart, because
I COULD! Always easy to plug in a vacuum cleaner without looking for a receptacle or moving anything. ;) Starting receptacles a foot or 1 1/2 feet from any doorway also makes it easy.(y)

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Picture comment: Hmm, could plug all those cords in so nothing shows, and what did they do? Just can't help some people...:ROFLMAO:

8 receptacles per room, 20 rooms, sounds right... OK, 20 receptacles per room, 8 rooms. Still legal.

I think a lot of mine are 6 feet apart, because
I COULD! Always easy to plug in a vacuum cleaner without looking for a receptacle or moving anything. ;) Starting receptacles a foot or 1 1/2 feet from any doorway also makes it easy.(y)
Behind the door is actually a good spot. Usually that area is clear.

MyCleveland

In general, additional receptacle outlets in a dwelling do not add to the load...the just make it more convenient for the occupants. The 3 VA per square foot is more than enough to cover the general use lighting and receptacle loads. The receptacles in heavy load areas such as the kitchen and laundry area have additional VA included in the load calculation.
Stand your ground and take it to a higher authority if the inspector cannot not give you an actual code rule that you are in violation of.
Don
Something seems off here...look over 220.14(J) and make note of "minimum unit load". Are they trying to state if you following the 6' rule THEN "No additional Load calculations shall be required for such outlets." BUT, if you start increasing the number you are back at 220.14, now above the "minimum load" then you are stuck with 220.14(I) for ALL the extra added devices.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don
Something seems off here...look over 220.14(J) and make note of "minimum unit load". Are they trying to state if you following the 6' rule THEN "No additional Load calculations shall be required for such outlets." BUT, if you start increasing the number you are back at 220.14, now above the "minimum load" then you are stuck with 220.14(I) for ALL the extra added devices.
The picture in post 27 would be compliant in a dwelling unit using the 3 VA per square foot for the receptacle load.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Never under a window.
When we built our house I had my wife take a sharpie and mark everywhere she wanted an outlet. There are outlets in the weirdest places in my house. Beside the mantel, at the top of the stairs just under the handrail, under EVERY window in the house.
It all made sense to me when she decorated for Christmas. No dropcords anywhere.
Now that battery candle lights and low voltage led lighting are popular we don’t really use those outlets under the windows anymore.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Under a window is handy to plug in the Christmas candles.
True. In the past.
Our window candles are battery powered and on/off with a built in timer.
Have a friend that wired the outlets under the windows to 1 switch to turn them on and off.
I'm anal but not that anal......

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
From this statement, I infer that the house is already built. Why, then, was this issue not raised earlier, such as during the rough-in inspection?
Without looking at the rest of post here, my calculation was a max of 65 receptacles plus additional if you have an island counter, plus a few additional more required for the kitchen wall counter

See my figures

Attachments

• IMG_2047.jpeg
    IMG_2047.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 27