UL 1203 in CLASS 1 DIVISION 2 LOCATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

stev11

hi

I have a question about testing a machine that has ex proof electrical enclosure and some motors and switches according to UL 1203 and the classification is CLASS 1 DIV 2.

is this mean that I need to test the electrical enclosure according to UL 1203 ONLY?? and what is the necessary tests according to this standard??
and what about other components like motor and switches according to this slandered???

thanx

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
hi

I have a question about testing a machine that has ex proof electrical enclosure and some motors and switches according to UL 1203 and the classification is CLASS 1 DIV 2.

is this mean that I need to test the electrical enclosure according to UL 1203 ONLY?? and what is the necessary tests according to this standard??
and what about other components like motor and switches according to this slandered???

thanx

You can't test anything to UL1203. Only a UL approved lab can.

perhaps the best thing would be for you to just say what you want to accomplish and we can comment on how you can get there.

stev11

ok, I know this need NTRL for testing but what is the test procedure?? and what is the components that need to be tested according to this slandered?? is it only ex proof box??

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
ok, I know this need NTRL for testing but what is the test procedure?? and what is the components that need to be tested according to this slandered?? is it only ex proof box??

you would not test the components. the components get tested by or under UL's supervision. You select components that have already been tested.

again, I would strongly suggest you tell us what it is you are trying to do so we can answer your actual question rather than beating around the bush like this.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The only way to find that out is to read the standard. They are available, but are expensive.

stev11

ok, I have a machine that is composed of motor,actuator,Electrical box and the classified location is CLASS 1 DIV 2
and the requirements for this unit to be CLASS 1 DIV 2 and comply with UL 1203.

So ,what is the meaning for the unit to be tested according to UL 1203??

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
ok, I have a machine that is composed of motor,actuator,Electrical box and the classified location is CLASS 1 DIV 2
and the requirements for this unit to be CLASS 1 DIV 2 and comply with UL 1203.

So ,what is the meaning for the unit to be tested according to UL 1203??

UL1203 is a component standard. The machine's electrical parts would need to be made from parts suitable for use in the classified area. You would buy those parts from some place that already got them UL listed.

The machine itself is not (and cannot be) listed to UL1203. if someone is asking you to do that, it might be they just do not understand how this kind of thing works.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Incidentally, UL1203 is a standard for explosion proof equipment.

It is quite possible that a properly designed machine for use in a Class I Division 2 area would contain no explosion proof equipment at all.

stev11

Incidentally, UL1203 is a standard for explosion proof equipment.

It is quite possible that a properly designed machine for use in a Class I Division 2 area would contain no explosion proof equipment at all.

thank you for your support.

I have a question as follows:
i have UL listed air compressor (hermetically sealed) and there is no any make or break inside compressor terminal box and I need to use it
in class 1 div 2 location but they tell me all components must comply with UL 1203.
So ,is this mean that I need to buy certified ex proof air compressor for DIV 2?? but according to NEC code, we can use hermetically sealed components with general purpose terminal box(there is no make or break inside this box) in CLASS 1 DIV 2.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I have a question as follows:
i have UL listed air compressor (hermetically sealed) and there is no any make or break inside compressor terminal box and I need to use it
in class 1 div 2 location but they tell me all components must comply with UL 1203.
So ,is this mean that I need to buy certified ex proof air compressor for DIV 2?? but according to NEC code, we can use hermetically sealed components with general purpose terminal box(there is no make or break inside this box) in CLASS 1 DIV 2.

who is "they"? if "they" are telling you all components in a CID2 area have to meet UL1203, "they" are just plain wrong.

I did not know UL listed air compressors.

I don't know what you mean by a hermetically sealed air compressor. Are you referring to the pressure switch on the compressor? If so, the switch would need to be listed by UL as suitable for use in a CID2 area, and the motor would need to comply with motor requirements for use in CID2 areas. There may also be other issues that have to be dealt with.

If the compressor itself is UL listed, the manufacturer can tell you if it is listed for use in classified areas.

You keep adding things to the conversation that were not previously present. This is the first mention that an air compressor is part of the machine.

Is this machine being shipped to the US?

Last edited:

stev11

who is "they"?
a client .

if "they" are telling you all components in a CID2 area have to meet UL1203 said:
sorry,they need C1D2 unit but they added additional term to be comply with UL 1203.
but I think maybe they need the components like ex proof enclosures to be comply UL 1203 because this slandered for ex proof enclosures
is this correct???

I did not know UL listed air compressors. [/QUOTE said:
sorry, it is listed for unclassified area.but according to NEC code i can use it in C1D2 because it is hermetically sealed and there is no make and break .

I don't know what you mean by a hermetically sealed air compressor.. [/QUOTE said:
it is similar to reciprocating refrigerator compressor.

You keep adding things to the conversation that were not previously present. This is the first mention that an air compressor is part of the machine. [/QUOTE said:
sorry i forget to add this part .

Is this machine being shipped to the US?[/QUOTE said:
no ,but the requirements to be comply NEC NFPA70 C1D2.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What controls the air compressor? Is it single phase or 3 phase?

Also even if codes do not require compliance with various standards, the owner/designer is free to specify compliance with any standard he wants to.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If you need explosion proof enclosures they would need to be listed.

Normally in the US, a client would not specify something like UL1203. They would just require the equipment on the whole be suitable for a CID2 area.

The NEC does not require UL1203 or any other specific UL or other NRTL standard.

stev11

it is 3 phase compressor and the rated ampere is less than 10A.

but what is the requirements for the unit to be comply with UL 1203?? is it only for all enclosures that for all electrical components inside the unit???
also for compressor issue, is this mean the compressor TERMINAL box must be comply with UL 1203 in case there no make and break inside this terminal box?????(there is no need to be ex proof enclosure in C1D2 as per NEC code)

plz advice!!

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
UL standards are not something that most members of this forum would have a copy of. The only way to know what the standard requires is to read the standard. You can buy a copy here for $251.

stev11

If you need explosion proof enclosures they would need to be listed.

Normally in the US, a client would not specify something like UL1203. They would just require the equipment on the whole be suitable for a CID2 area.

The NEC does not require UL1203 or any other specific UL or other NRTL standard.

UL standards are not something that most members of this forum would have a copy of. The only way to know what the standard requires is to read the standard. You can buy a copy here for $251.

can anyone help my in this issue??plz I need clear reply on free copy of the code?:cry:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
can anyone help my in this issue??plz I need clear reply on free copy of the code?:cry:

1. Code usually refers to something adopted directly or by reference into legislation or administrative requirement. They typically have to be available for public inspection in some form. NEC is a code, and where adopted by a local government as law should be available to look at locally. Copies are a different matter.
2. Standards, on the other hand, are private documents that may be used by a variety of commercial users and may allow application of a label certifying compliance. They are often not public documents, and so finding a free source may involve a violation of the intellectual property rights of those who developed and published the standard. Engineering school libraries might be a good place to look though.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

UL1203 is a copyrighted work and is not available for free. If you want a copy, you have to buy it.

You seem to be obsessing over UL1203 when all likelihood it is not even something that you would need to worry about.

As a machine assembler if there are pieces of the machine that need to be UL1203 listed, you would buy them already listed. You cannot normally do this yourself. Getting something like this listed would cost tens or 100s of thousands of dollars.

stev11

UL1203 is a copyrighted work and is not available for free. If you want a copy, you have to buy it.

You seem to be obsessing over UL1203 when all likelihood it is not even something that you would need to worry about.

As a machine assembler if there are pieces of the machine that need to be UL1203 listed, you would buy them already listed. You cannot normally do this yourself. Getting something like this listed would cost tens or 100s of thousands of dollars.

thank you for your help.
I bought the electrical ex proof box and it is UL 1203 listed(because this slandered for ex proof enclosures), but how can know if the other components like motor or compressor need to be comply with UL 1203???:D

http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/scopes/scopes.asp?fn=1203.html

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
thank you for your help.
I bought the electrical ex proof box and it is UL 1203 listed(because this slandered for ex proof enclosures), but how can know if the other components like motor or compressor need to be comply with UL 1203???:D

http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/scopes/scopes.asp?fn=1203.html

The NEC will tell you what motors and other equipment are acceptable for the area classification the equipment is going to. Take a close look at articles 500 and 501. we really cannot select or design equipment for you from 10,000 miles away and only knowing bits and pieces of what you are doing.

Normally when you buy something like a compressor that is going into a classified area you would buy it designed to be suitable for the classification of the area. It pretty much either is or is not suitable as you bought it. The manufacturer should be able to tell you whether it is suitable or not. If they can't tell you it is suitable, it probably is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.