Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Ungrounded AFCI?

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
There is no code compliant method of installing a receptacle in a new location, unless you provide an EGC to that receptacle.
Don
Edit: I don't believe that's completely accurate.

Part VII lays out the "method" of "grounding" equipment (which we know to be "bonding", despite it's misnomer). Immediately a general statement is made, as to where EGC's are to ultimately terminate, for ungrounded and grounded systems.

The last part of the general 250.130 (before the (A) states:
For replacement of non-grounding-type receptacles with grounding-type receptacles and for branch-circuit extensions only in existing installations that do not have an equipment grounding conductor in the branch circuit, connections shall be permitted as indicated in 250.130(C).
(C) repeats this:
(C) Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions. The equipment grounding conductor of a grounding-type receptacle or a branch-circuit extension shall be permitted to be connected to any of the following: ...
As JW pointed out, this is permissive language. If you had to use one of the items in the list, then it would state "shall be connected to one of the following."

Then, to be tidy and helpful, the FPN steers you to 406.3, which states:

(B) To Be Grounded. Receptacles and cord connectors that have grounding contacts shall have those contacts effectively grounded.
At this stage, all receptacles are to be grounded. How are we to do this? Recipe:

(C) Methods of Grounding. The grounding contacts of receptacles and cord connectors shall be grounded by connection to the equipment grounding conductor of the circuit supplying the receptacle or cord connector.

The branch-circuit wiring method shall include or provide an equipment-grounding conductor to which the grounding contacts of the receptacle or cord connector shall be connected.
Uh-oh. We're in trouble. The branch circuit we are going to use to replace receptacles, or add a new receptacle with, has no EGC. We're screwed. Oh, wait:
FPN No. 2: For extensions of existing branch circuits, see 250.130.
So, at this stage, before any other remedies are presented, we get an FPN suggestion to peek back at 250.130.

(3) Nongrounding-Type Receptacles. Where grounding means does not exist in the receptacle enclosure, the installation shall comply with (a), (b), or (c).
We are dealing with a circuit bearing non-grounding type receptacles. No EGC was originally installed with the BC conductors.

Then, twice, once in (b) and once in (c), this statement is made:

...An equipment grounding conductor shall not be connected between the grounding-type receptacles.
Why would an original circuit with no EGC suddenly grow one between receptacles? Because someone extended the circuit with new methods that brought an "EGC" with them. This is dangerous; isolating each non-grounding GFI-protected receptacle is safer than exposing the entire new addition to current that cannot be faulted, so it's required to be isolated.

[ June 24, 2005, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

jwelectric

George here is some more ammunition to use for your debate.

394.10 Uses Permitted.
Concealed knob-and-tube wiring shall be permitted to be installed in the hollow spaces of walls and ceilings or in unfinished attics and roof spaces as provided by 394.23 only as follows:
(1) For extensions of existing installations
(2) Elsewhere by special permission

250.86 Other Conductor Enclosures and Raceways.
Except as permitted by 250.112(I), metal enclosures and raceways for other than service conductors shall be grounded.
Exception No. 1: Metal enclosures and raceways for conductors added to existing installations of open wire, knob and tube wiring, and nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall not be required to be grounded where these enclosures or wiring methods comply with (1) through (4) as follows:
(1) Do not provide an equipment ground

You go George ;) :cool:

physis

I haven't been following this thread. And I just looked up this "no connecting the ground between outlets" anomaly in 406.3(D)(3)(b) & (c).

This is very strange. If I didn't know better I would think that the code writers knew that this methodology prescribed for "non-grounding branch circuits" could result in an unsafe condition.

There's only one reason I can think of to avoid the interconection of the EGC's between outlets. And that's to keep uncleared fault current from appearing in more places that it needs to. Accept that it wouldn't make much difference if two outlets have an EGC to the same electrode.

Wierd.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by physis:
There's only one reason I can think of to avoid the interconection of the EGC's between outlets. And that's to keep uncleared fault current from appearing in more places that it needs to. Accept that it wouldn't make much difference if two outlets have an EGC to the same electrode.

Wierd.
I don't think it's too weird. I do think the omission of any text at all relating to extensions of branch circuits is a little odd. I think if they had followed through, and laid out in so many words what to do when extending an old circuit, this discussion would have been over a long time ago. :)

The recipes in (b) and (c) are to be used in the event that nothing is done to provide grounding. As soon as you bring an EGC as prescribed in 250.130(C), then you lose the options presented in 406.3.

But you wouldn't need the options anyway, provided you've verified that the electrode used is properly bonded.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Okay, so I've come to the realization that current code does not allow 2-wire receptacles to be installed in any new receptacle outlet.

I've done some digging, in the scrolls, which I will come back and edit it in, for more perspective on this:
</font><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Now, in a strictly hypothetical sense, let me put this forward, with the clear understanding that this installation is in violation of several sections of the NEC:
Oldroom.jpg

If I were to connect the neutral conductor to the grounding conductor, in the receptacle outlet marked "New #1" in this shoddy diagram, would there be a hazard to personnel?

[ July 04, 2005, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

allenwayne

You can lineside almost any receptacle,as long as isn`ot ,kitchen,bath.size of a eve receptacle circuit must be considered
H./O/`R wants 10 eve receptacles with a swithch.Do you wire on recuired gfci,or do you add s 2nd wiith gfci in gargagE WELL

physis

George?

This would be like having an MBJ in "New #1" and no GEC and electorde.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Sam,

Exactly.

Where is the hazard? :)

Is "New #1" going to be struck by lightning? :)

Just playing devil's advocate here. Where is the hazard?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by georgestolz:
Where is the hazard? :)
There is a real hazard in what you describe.

If the neutral opens on the old circuit all the items 'grounded' in the new circuit will have hot enclosures.

No one will like touching the shiny new appliance. :D

[ July 06, 2005, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

physis

I'd actually be less worried about that configuration than what the NEC prescribes because by sending the egc to only the dirt you have energized ecnlosures without needing a coincident wiring failure.

physis

That's what I thought too.

Edit: If there isn't an existing electrode system it appears that code allows it pretty much like I said. Unless I missed something when I looked at this before.

Read my first post on the page before this one. Do I have it wrong?

Edit again: And I'm not saying I like it either. Cause I don't and I wouldn't do it.

Edit again: Actually the way you worded is exactly correct. To the grounding electrode system. It's just that you're given permission to have an electrode system that isn't connected to the service.

I guess it might look like semantics or something, but that's how I'm reading it.

[ July 06, 2005, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

physis

250.130(C). Like I said, my post on the last page.

Am I wrong?

Edit: I had to add the (C) here too.

[ July 06, 2005, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

jwelectric

Sam
I know that I am going to hear a bunch of lip because of this post from the other members in here but here is an insert from the 20002 handbook.

Section 250.130(C) applies to both ungrounded and grounded systems. It permits a nongrounding-type receptacle to be replaced with a grounding-type receptacle under the following conditions.
(1) The branch circuit does not contain an equipment ground.
(2) An existing branch circuit is being extended for additional receptacle outlets.
(3) An equipment grounding conductor is connected between the receptacle grounding terminal and any accessible point on the grounding electrode system.
Because of the requirements of 250.52(A)(1), an interior metal water pipe more than 5 ft from the point of entrance of the water pipe into the building is no longer allowed to serve as a connection to the grounding electrode conductor.
Exhibit 250.49 shows a branch-circuit extension made from an existing installation. This method is also permitted to ground a replacement 3-wire receptacle in the existing ungrounded box on the left, where no grounding conductor is available.
:)

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jwelectric:
Sam
I know that I am going to hear a bunch of lip because of this post from the other members in here but here is an insert from the 20002 handbook.
Mike I would be more then happy to give you some 'lip' :D but I have no idea what the point of that post was. :D

physis

I'll just say it again so that we don't loose sight of the question.

In an existing building that has no grounding system, does 250.130(C) allow a new receptacle to be installed with an EGC that goes to a newly installed grounding electrode system that has no connection to the service neutral?

Cause I think that's what's allowed by code and I think it's a really bad idea and I hope I'm wrong and someone can convice me that I'm missing something.

Edit: The code needs the (C)

[ July 06, 2005, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

jwelectric

Originally posted by physis:
I'll just say it again so that we don't loose sight of the question.

In an existing building that has no grounding system, does 250.130 allow a new receptacle to be installed with an EGC that goes to a newly installed grounding electrode system that has no connection to the service neutral?

Cause I think that's what's allowed by code and I think it's a really bad idea and I hope I'm wrong and someone can convice me that I'm missing something.
To answer you question NO.
The equipment grounding conductor must directly of indirectly through the grounding electrode system connect to the grounded (neutral) at the main.
Edited to add
Other wise it would be useless

Bob

I couldn?t stand it no longer I had to say something so I copied the 2002 handbook.
I am addicted to posting in this forum.

Hello my name is Mike??. I am a post-a-holic

[ July 06, 2005, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

Status
Not open for further replies.