Where's the "Outlet" under the 2020 NEC -- for outdoor hardwire EVSEs

brycenesbitt

Where's the "outlet" in each of these situations?
NEC 100 Where Is the Shutoff.JPG
2020 NEC 210.8(F) Outdoor Outlets. All outdoor outlets for dwellings, other than those covered in 210.8 (A)(3), Exception to (3), that are supplied by single-phase branch circuits rated 150 volts to ground or less, 50 amperes or less, shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

An "outlet" is the point where the house service connects to the equipment (could be a wire nut).
A "receptacle" is a socket where a plug can be placed.

In the case of the bath GFCI the outlet and receptacle are the same thing.
In the case of the HVAC the "outlet" seems likely to be the shutoff switch, right?
---
But for the EVSE without a shutoff switch or receptacle, would the "outlet" be the EVSE or the supply breaker? Why?
---
I am aware there's a lot of confusion on these points, and differing interpretations:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The definition of outlet is in the book. That will clear things up.

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
Where's the "outlet" in each of these situations?
View attachment 2568190

In the case of the bath GFCI the outlet and receptacle are the same thing.
In the case of the HVAC the "outlet" seems likely to be the shutoff switch, right?
---
But for the EVSE without a shutoff switch or receptacle, would the "outlet" be the EVSE or the supply breaker? Why?
---
I am aware there's a lot of confusion on these points, and differing interpretations:
IMO EV with no separate disconnect, I would say the supply breaker cause that’s the point where power for the device is taken

kkyyllee

Occupation
building inspector
tesla-wall-connector-wiring-scheme-740x416.jpg.webp
how many would consider the terminals in this installation to be the outlet ?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Receptacle, disco, disco, and probably the EVSE, depending on what connects to it.
Seems to me that unless the wiring from the HVAC to disco and/or from the EVSE to disco is a factory supplied whip, that wiring is still part of the branch circuit, so the outlet is within the wiring compartment of the equipment supplied.

Cheers, Wayne

brycenesbitt

Some above say "I would say the [outlet is the] supply breaker cause that’s the point where power for the device is taken" and some say it's the EVSE. This is not very clear.

Seems to me that unless the wiring from the HVAC to disco and/or from the EVSE to disco is a factory supplied whip, that wiring is still part of the branch circuit, so the outlet is within the wiring compartment of the equipment supplied.
Cheers, Wayne
Ok, so if the wire from the main panel to the EVSE is the branch circuit.
Then the terminals inside the EVSE are the "outlet" as defined by the EVSE, right?
--
Here's the inside of an EVSE showing hardwired input, the output cable, and RS-485 connections.
The device shuts output power if it detects a GFCI fault downstream (this model can't do
vehicle to grid discharging, so just one way power here):

Wallbox Cleantechnica.jpg

So:
In that case is supplementary external GFCI required?
The 1772 plug is clearly a receptacle, and it's downstream of the EVSE GFCI.

So I don't have to have this discussion with my AHJ, how could I get more definitive clarity, than just this thread?

Last edited:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I have argued that for a permanently installed EVSE the outlet could be at the car.

But it certainly is not anywhere upstream of the terminals of the EVSE.

Some above say "I would say the [outlet is the] supply breaker cause that’s the point where power for the device is taken" and some say it's the EVSE. This is not very clear.
No, this part is very clear, it is definitely not at the breaker.

--
Here's the inside of an EVSE showing hardwired input, the output cable, and RS-485 connections.
The device shuts output power if it detects a GFCI fault downstream (this model can't do
vehicle to grid discharging, so just one way power here):

So:
In that case is supplementary external GFCI required?

The 1772 plug is clearly a receptacle, and it's downstream of the EVSE GFCI.

So I don't have to have this discussion with my AHJ, how could I get more definitive clarity, than just this thread?

I have argued that supplementary GFCI is not required, or at least might not be in some cases, but others disagree. One of the sticking points is whether the EVSE protection has the same trip point as the NEC assumes.

jaggedben

Occupation
See for example this discussion.

But also ask yourself if you want to get that into-the-weeds with an AHJ.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
One of the sticking points is whether the EVSE protection has the same trip point as the NEC assumes.
Except for a few specific items/areas, the NEC generally requires Listed GFCI protection for personnel. Very rarely does dedicated equipment ground fault protection meet the UL requirements for personnel.

jaggedben

Occupation
Except for a few specific items/areas, the NEC generally requires Listed GFCI protection for personnel. Very rarely does dedicated equipment ground fault protection meet the UL requirements for personnel.
Right, but ultimately we need to know what protection the EVSE actually provides. And I frankly don't understand why EVSE protection couldn't meet the requirements for personnel.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Right, but ultimately we need to know what protection the EVSE actually provides. And I frankly don't understand why EVSE protection couldn't meet the requirements for personnel.
The EVSE data sheet should indicate the type of protection, but generally it is CCID20, which has a nominal 20ma trip level. I know the listing standard also discusses CCID5, which is in the range where it could meet the requirements for a Class A GFCI, but I don't know if it necessarily would.

Cheers, Wayne

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is my opinion that the outlet for all hardwired equipment is the point where the electrician connects the branch circuit conductors to the equipment.

There are multiple PIs for the 2026 code based on the location of the outlet for hardwired equipment.

jaggedben

Occupation
It is my opinion that the outlet for all hardwired equipment is the point where the electrician connects the branch circuit conductors to the equipment.

There are multiple PIs for the 2026 code based on the location of the outlet for hardwired equipment.

But it is widely acknowledged that a requirement for protection can be provided by the equipment, and that pinpointing the outlet location is therefore irrelevant. No one claims that a GFCI receptacle does not provide GFCI protection because the outlet is on the supply side of the GFCI device.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
NEC 2017
Outlet.
A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment. (CMP-1)

Utilization Equipment.
Equipment that utilizes electric energy for electronic, electromechanical, chemical, heating, lighting, or similar purposes. (CMP-1)

So the question is simply (or not so simply) where is or what is the "utilization equipment" in each scenario?

AFA EVSE the code has specific requirements in 625.

Electric Vehicle Inlet.
The device on the electric vehicle into which the electric vehicle connector is electrically coupled (conductive or inductive) for power transfer and information exchange. This device is part of the electric vehicle coupler. For the purposes of this Code, the electric vehicle inlet is considered to be part of the electric vehicle and not part of the electric vehicle supply equipment.

Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.
The conductors, including the ungrounded, grounded, and equipment grounding conductors, and the electric vehicle connectors, attachment plugs, and all other fittings, devices, power outlets, or apparatus installed specifically for the purpose of transferring energy between the premises wiring and the electric vehicle.

So, is the "electric vehicle inlet", or the "electric vehicle supply equipment" the "utilization equipment"?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
NEC 2017
Outlet.
A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment. (CMP-1)

Utilization Equipment.
Equipment that utilizes electric energy for electronic, electromechanical, chemical, heating, lighting, or similar purposes. (CMP-1)

So the question is simply (or not so simply) where is or what is the "utilization equipment" in each scenario?

AFA EVSE the code has specific requirements in 625.

Electric Vehicle Inlet.
The device on the electric vehicle into which the electric vehicle connector is electrically coupled (conductive or inductive) for power transfer and information exchange. This device is part of the electric vehicle coupler. For the purposes of this Code, the electric vehicle inlet is considered to be part of the electric vehicle and not part of the electric vehicle supply equipment.

Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.
The conductors, including the ungrounded, grounded, and equipment grounding conductors, and the electric vehicle connectors, attachment plugs, and all other fittings, devices, power outlets, or apparatus installed specifically for the purpose of transferring energy between the premises wiring and the electric vehicle.

So, is the "electric vehicle inlet", or the "electric vehicle supply equipment" the "utilization equipment"?
You quoted the NEC definition that says the inlet plug is considered part of the vehicle, so it cannot also be part of the branch circuit nor the supply equipment.

The EVSE definition says it is all of the stuff between the premises wiring and the inlet. So, per the definitions you provided, the EVSE is not part of the branch circuit.