Which is better? LED fixture replacement or LED retrofit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes unless you derate it.

We are using LED replacement lamps in our kitchen luminaires which are totally enclosed. Thousands of hours of operation. No failures.
We have LED table lamps in our lounge. They run very cool.
They are either designed for total enclosure, or for other reasons not enough heat is building up to effect them. You still may have less life from that lamp then if it were in an open luminaire. Unless you put an hour meter on it, you may never notice though.

Besoeker

You STRUGGLED with grasping the concept of power density as you did not understand why dissipating 12W in the shape of a A19 standard light bulb shape WHILE keeping the LED junctions and LED ballast within their long lasting temperature limit in a lighting environment is a huge challenge.
The power density of an incandescent can be ten times that which is why they get too hot to touch whereas my LED lamps are barely above ambient.

And you still don't and you didn't understand how a 1,000w water bed is "cool running".
I did and do. I developed a spreadsheet for cooling based on surfacce area and another for forced air cooling. So maybe, just maybe, you should give up trying to tell me what you think I don't understand.

Last edited:

Besoeker

They are either designed for total enclosure, or for other reasons not enough heat is building up to effect them. You still may have less life from that lamp then if it were in an open luminaire. Unless you put an hour meter on it, you may never notice though.
The ones in the kitchen have done maybe 30,000 hours.
Those in the lounge are on 24/7 and have been there for at least five years. That's at least 40k hours. And they are standard off-the-shelf units bought at a grocery store.

In fact, I don't know if you can still buy incandescents. But there again, I haven't looked for any. I know some of higher wattage ones were discontinued.

Electric-Light

If you build a VFD and design it to operate in a 100 degF ambient, doesn't using it in a 140 degF ambient potentially shorten it's life, or at very least allow for other operational issues like thermal protective devices causing intermittent operation?

An LED replacement lamp not designed for an enclosed luminaire will have more difficulty operating at/below it's maximum design temp if operating in an enclosed luminaire, now if it is inside a cooler/freezer that may help some.

100F is nothing. Common high bay fixtures are expected to be rated at 130F ambient rating.

peter d

Wow, what a wall of text and it can be answered simply.

The LED fixtures I am putting in take about 1/3 the current of the fixtures they replace and the customers feel they are brighter.

End of story.:D

You have it all wrong, I'd much rather hear irrelevant statistics about nearly obsolete T8 and HID systems that we should all continue to be installing. :roll::roll:

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
..With the exception of some new exotic LED filament tower bulbs that operate in a helium atmosphere (cost about $12-15). Helium has much better thermal properties and carry heat to glass bulb by convection and use the entire glass bulb as a heat sink.
Amazing, any more information on these LED bulbs?

Electric-Light

Besoeker

ugh. You might as well buy some stuff from the Home Depot. Energy sales retrofit fit have a lot of smaller sales reps working on substantial commission meaning that things have to be extra super duper cheap to cover those costs in addition to profit for the company. I googled this company and it looks pretty obvious to me that they're just yet another import-reseller and the spec sheet is ambiguous, classic Alibaba stuff.
It is the functional equivalent of an outdoor light sold at the Home Depot claimed around the pole and abandoning the existing head and powering it with an extension cord. There's a reason HID luminaires come in so many different models and SKUs for the same wattage. They are supposed to be used as a part of an engineered solution. Not a shower head peppered with LEDs and voila, retrofit.

The problem is that the vendor is a four year old start-up like a lot of other Energy Service Retrofit sector. Who says they'll even be around a few years later?

The bar has been lowered quite a bit in this LED days. I've reviewed the lab reports for Philips T8 LED bulb. The testing was done in China. I've seen some errors and model to model lab procedure inconsistencies and numbers that don't quite add up right in those reports.

So, what about the actual LED fixtures you have in mind rather than the retrofit?

Retrofit was quoted by supply house, not one I spec'd. I also quoted RAB 150 watt and e-conoline 155 watt. Still waiting for the customers final answer of which. RAB has the full 5 year labor and materials warranty, but are much higher in cost. Econoline has 5 year warranty on parts.

Electric-Light

The power density of an incandescent can be ten times that which is why they get too hot to touch whereas my LED lamps are barely above ambient.
Regarding LED SSFL, the concern on hand is the power density or the heat that must be removed at the device.
If you're looking at 80% efficiency 800W output magnetron, you have 1,000W going into the device. 800w that leaves as radiated energy.
What matters when it comes to heat issue is what didn't leave as radiated energy, the temperature it can withstand and which parts you can cover up.

So we only have 200W of heat to be dealt with at the back door despite it being a 1,000W device and a magnetron vacuum tube can handle a fair bit higher temperature than LED SSFL. This is what you think you understand but you don't.

heat_radiation_from_black_surface_to_unheated.png

The greater the temperature difference between an object and the ambient, the more thermal transfer by conduction and convection.

The same is true for radiant too but its not a fixed relationship with the same delta T.

100C surface surrounded by 50C surface can radiate 500W per sq per MetRE

150C into 100w surface for comparison sake can do 700w sq.m

150 into 50 can radiate 1200w sq.m. This being the case of HIDs that can operate the outer bulb to well beyond 150C and the ballast which can withstand 150C or higher. This is far beyond the temperature range power semiconductors can normally tolerate.

LEDs have to keep the hottest internal junction around 100C or less to get good life which probably limits fixture surface to 85C or so. The guts don't run hot enough to be able to get the lens running at 100C which limits heat rejection out the front. Heat comes from the LED ballast, LED thermal rejection, as well as conversion loss from phosphor blend in contact with the chip that is transferred back to the LED. So a 200W input power high bay LED excited solid state fluorescent luminaire that has to reject 120w through the heatsink in 55C ambient while keeping the heatsink at 85C or so explains why they have to be a whale. Letting it just run up to a higher temperature where it can easily radiate away 120W is not doable without frying the delicate LEDs.

So maybe, just maybe, you should give up trying to tell me what you think I don't understand.
ugh. All you've given us is . This what I do, therefore I understand and y'all are to believe it. Your discussion in this thread doesn't show you understand the realistic side. I believed others like kwired and Romex Jockey gets what you're just not getting.

LED SSFL is a seriously misunderstood technology with rather significant misinformation about them even in professional publications.

"Although SSL doesn't generate heat as a byproduct of generating light, the drivers and ballasts do. LEDs are sensitive to temperature fluctuation in the fixture."
http://www.facilitiesnet.com/lighti...Facilities-Management-Lighting-Feature--12236

Truth: LED solid state fluorescent lamp and regular FL ballasts are anywhere from 80-95% efficient. NEMA Premium ballasts are generally in the 90-95% range. Essentially all of the heat in solid state fluorescent lamp fixtures are generated from low quantum efficiency of the LED and conversion losses from the phosphor blend. Additional thermal management challenge exists for LEDs as they can't naturally disperse lamp element heat evenly through the entire lamp surface like other lighting technology.

"thermal management" is a way of saying engineering measures are needed to prevent LEDs from going south, because it is thermally delicate like computer chips unlike other lighting technologies.

Last edited:

Electric-Light

Same difference. same statement. you just don't get it.

100w input, 85% radiant efficiency incandescent lamp that sheds 15W by convection/conduction using the entire A19 shape.

18W input, 45% radiant efficient solid state fluorescent lamp that needs to shed 10W while staying under about 100C from a very limited space near the base.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-100...ght-Bulb-BA21-16027OMF-12DE26-1U100/205054835

Oh, why do you think that thing is a A21 size behemoth even though it's only 18W input while most 100W lamps are A19? uh.. yeah cuz LEDs are chocolate bunnies that melts and they can't get rid of that much heat into the foot print of A19 without having the fins cover up the whole lamp.

Last edited:

peter d

Speaking of people that just don't get it. The ship has sailed, no amount of ranting on an Internet forum is going to reverse its direction. :)

You have to admit it's kind of amusing to watch though. It's rare to see such zealous devotion to obsolescence.

On a related note, I'm working on a nice tenant fit up right now. 95% of the lighting is LED. :cool:

ramsy

Occupation
I don't. Give up on trying to tell me what I think.
Besoeker was one of the better expressed, and well written engineers anyone had the pleasure of reading here, since there was so few. Now, rather than using extinction to leave the animals alone, he takes Q from other Yanks, lacking usual citations, or reference to build their post ranking with cruel one liners. Bitten, infected, transformed, another zombie internet troll.

Besoeker

Besoeker was one of the better expressed, and well written engineers anyone had the pleasure of reading here, since there was so few. Now, rather than using extinction to leave the animals alone, he takes Q from other Yanks, lacking usual citations, or reference to build their post ranking with cruel one liners. Bitten, infected, transformed, another zombie internet troll.

Can we stick to the topic please.
I have expressed my experience regarding the use of LEDs over about 25 years or it may have been longer. Zero failures reported.
Yet, I have someone trying to educate me on heat dissipation calculations, something I've been doing for the better part of half a century. Something I had to get right to avoid swingeing financial penalties.
Against this background I kept getting told what I think.
Do you understand now why some of my responses have been terse in this thread?

ramsy

Occupation
Can we stick to the topic please. ..regarding the use of LEDs over about 25 years.. Zero failures reported.

Here's one field study that disagrees.
http://www.osram-os.com/Graphics/XPic6/00102625_0.pdf/Reliability and Lifetime of LEDs.pdf

On Pg.2 under, Extrinsic reliability period, "The reliability of the products is thus based on the chain of the materials, the manufacturing process and the function of the component (Figure 1). In addition, the final application must also be taken into consideration." .."In contrast, between the early failure period and the wearout period, the spontaneous failure rate for LEDs is extremely low." The study describes metrics with exponential graphs that seem to show even the lowest rates significantly above Zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.