xmas lighting receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

cash

I am installing receptacles in the 2nd floor outside soffet in my sisters house
for christmas lights. do i need to gfci them and have in use cover?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
210.8(A)(3) requires GFCI protection and 406.8(B)(1) requires the in use cover if the receptacle is in a wet location. Your installation may be in a damp area and not a wet area and if so, it would require a cover that is weatherproof when the receptacle is not in use.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
BTW, I just found out about this recently but they are now making GFI receptacles rated specifically for outdoor use. They have a "w/p" stamped on the face. Has anyone heard of or have info on these ?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
please remember, it has to be GFCI protected, not a GFCI receptacle in that location.

Howard Burger

Pierre, wouldn't one of those continuous use plastic or metal covers make the gfi weatherproof, or has that changed. 2nd Q: if the gfi is supposed to be a 'wp' gfi, do we still need a contiuous use cover or would a flap cover work? Thanks

Well, I just re-read 406.8 and it pretty much takes care of this question. Can't figure out how to delete the above so I guess I'll leave it.

Do weather-resistant recepts have some special code stamped on them to help me know which is which?

Last edited:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
BTW, I just found out about this recently but they are now making GFI receptacles rated specifically for outdoor use. They have a "w/p" stamped on the face. Has anyone heard of or have info on these ?

Sure. Required in the 08 NEC, but the marking is WR for weather resistant. And its not just GFCI receptacles but any receptacle in 406.8

w_d_anderson

or the like

or the like

It seems to me that the AHJ can decide if your "in the 2nd floor outside soffet " location is acceptable under the "or the like" definition of damp location in 408.6A. A 12 inch eave/soffit does not offer a lot of protection. I heard somewhere a local interpretation that defined the protection to be the area under the eave within a 45 degree angle of the roof edge. If I read this section correctly the AHJ could make you use an in-use cover unless it's an open porch area, mezzanine, or canopy.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It seems to me that the AHJ can decide if your "in the 2nd floor outside soffet " location is acceptable under the "or the like" definition of damp location in 408.6A. A 12 inch eave/soffit does not offer a lot of protection. I heard somewhere a local interpretation that defined the protection to be the area under the eave within a 45 degree angle of the roof edge. If I read this section correctly the AHJ could make you use an in-use cover unless it's an open porch area, mezzanine, or canopy.

I don't see how the underside of a soffit can be classified as a wet location given the definition in Article 100 of Location, Wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.