AFCI Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
To a large degree that is true. That being said, a civil society needs law and order and authority.

Well I agree, but a highly educated society can self govern to some degree or another. And this applies to the NEC as well...

I'm far from someone that just blindly follows a crowd but there's a time and place to question authority. An inspector has to do his job, if he has moral objections to it then he should quit or find a way to educate those above him so the law can be changed. I'm not against electrical codes but I absolutely believe that process has been thoroughly corrupted now.

And this is why people ought to speak up. As I said before, and it cost me yes, but inspectors should all be protesting AFCIs.

chris1971

I'm quite surprised they let a defective product become a code requirement. Well, maybe not to surprised at the amount of lobbying done to make them a requirement.:weeping:

kenman215

Well I agree, but a highly educated society can self govern to some degree or another. And this applies to the NEC as well...

And this is why people ought to speak up. As I said before, and it cost me yes, but inspectors should all be protesting AFCIs.

Let me know when you find a place with a highly educated society. I want to move there.:D

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I'm quite surprised they let a defective product become a code requirement. Well, maybe not to surprised at the amount of lobbying done to make them a requirement.:weeping:

Well the real thread bomb is being informed that it's not so much our trade's responsibility to protect the public, as it is nema's to protect the public from us Chris...:lol:

~RJ~

iwire

Staff member
Mislead and lied to by authority. I never said every single inspector and firefighter believes in them, but ask the majority and the ratio is high. To high imo.

And you have called all around the country to determine this?

Nope, you are just pulling stuff out of the air much like someone saying ECs will be sued for not exceed ring code.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Except for you. :lol: you are above all.

As is Pete, and to some degree you... but the majority, none so much.

It seems you don't watch the news, people are questioning authority all the time.

Yes, a small handful, or in the case of police brutality a larger group of people but only because we are seeing the its gotten so out of hand that any lover of authority will be let down. The protests against police are if anything, action that should have been taken earlier. Which is why people should speak up now before the code making process gets more and more corrupt. Its easier to challenge AFCIs now then thousands of new profit driven rules decades from now.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I will put it like this. Its irritating when someone says X to be untrue when you know first hand it is not. The down side is others tag along and it sets off a chain. In the end I look like the clown. And lets be serious, I know the real reason why Iwire left ET.

Last edited by a moderator:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Proof of what?

Try to be clear and perhaps I can answer this mysterious question of yours.

Proof the CMPs were lied to. This is what I am talking about as you know what I am referring to. You know I have as much to back up some of my claims as you do for some of yours.

iwire

Staff member
Proof the CMPs were lied to. This is what I am talking about as you know what I am referring to. You know I have as much to back up some of my claims as you do for some of yours.

It's public info, way back when AFCIs where first proposed the manufacturers claimed that AFCIs would protect the branch circuit and the utilization equipment supplied by those AFCI.

That claim was false. The proof of that was the need to redesigning the AFCIs into 'combination AFCIs' and the code having to change the rules to require these combo units to be used.

iwire

Staff member
Its irritating when someone says X to be untrue when you know first hand it is not. The down side is others tag along and it sets off a chain. In the end I look like the clown. And lets be serious, I know the real reason why Iwire left ET.

I am all ears, please explain to all of us the real reason I left ET. :D

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
If it pleases the court of public opinion.....

If it pleases the court of public opinion.....

It's public info, way back when AFCIs where first proposed the manufacturers claimed that AFCIs would protect the branch circuit and the utilization equipment supplied by those AFCI.

That claim was false. The proof of that was the need to redesigning the AFCIs into 'combination AFCIs' and the code having to change the rules to require these combo units to be used.

Combination meaning parallel & series arc protection Mr Iwire.

Iirc, this debuted in the '08 code.....

Some technical inquiries would be apropos , don't you think?

First and foremost, just what changes occurred in the manufacture of the prior afci, to elevate it to combination status ?

2ndly, what was the status of the prior code cycles installs ? We're talking some big $$$ from sea to freakin' shinin' sea here

Last but not least Assuming all this documented history public information, why is the public totally unaware they've bought into a a product fraudulent of it's performance claims? Where is the manufacturers recall....?

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.