lighting outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have no problem being present for an inspection most of the time. It can mean the difference between fixing a minor issue on the spot and passing as opposed to having to schedule a reinspection.

RB1

I think the word intended, as used in the definition of lighting outlet, is used to differentiate lighting outlets from other outlets. It is clear from the wording of Section 210.70 that the intent of the code is to provide illumination. For example 210.70(C) requires a lighting outlet to be located near the equipment that requires servicing. The purpose of the required outlet is to provide a safe work environment for service personnel. Without illumination the outlet provides no benefit.

iwire

Staff member
It's not clear to me.

If we go with that interpretation we will have to provide a lamp at a switched receptacle allowed by Ex 1 of 210.70(A)(1).

Keep in mind many building codes actually require illumination so arguing over what the NEC requires may be a moot point.

RB1

Section 1205.1 of the 2003 IBC requires either natural illumination or artificial light. Stairways in dwelling units and the means of egress in other occupancies are required to have artificial illumination.

Section 110.26(D) is an example of where illumination is required. However additional lighting outlets are not required for the purpose of illuminating this area where the area is illuminated by an adjacent light source. In this context the lighting outlet is considered a source of light.

Jim W in Tampa

OK,inspector says he cant see the lighting outlet.Where does it say he must see it ? Look under that fan.Its hidden just as much with a blank as it is a fan.Where did it say what i cant do with it.

As far as this DIRECT CONNECTION,take a look at a hollywood bath fixture.If it has 6 sockets i bet they are spliced together first then you have pigtail to connect to your #12.That is INDIRECT.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
RB1 said:
Section 1205.1 of the 2003 IBC requires either natural illumination or artificial light. Stairways in dwelling units and the means of egress in other occupancies are required to have artificial illumination.
Now that's what I'm talking about.

I don't have a copy of the IBC. Can any one post the actual text?

JohnE

iwire said:
It's not clear to me.

If we go with that interpretation we will have to provide a lamp at a switched receptacle allowed by Ex 1 of 210.70(A)(1).

Keep in mind many building codes actually require illumination so arguing over what the NEC requires may be a moot point.

If we took other factors into many of our discussions, there would be a lot of moot points.;)

If we read the energy efficiency requirements of the MA building code, we'd find a lot more deficiencies in our electrical installations. Like a gasket behind every wall plate. And a few others where I've said "oh if they only knew..." But I'd say those are the builder's requirements, not the electrician's.

mpd

this is an interpretation that an inspector has made, if I was a contractor I would put up a keyless or light kit and move on, to me this would not be worth the time or energy to argue, for what its worth I would not pass a house either that had blank plates where lighting outlets are required,

Jim W in Tampa

mpd said:
this is an interpretation that an inspector has made, if I was a contractor I would put up a keyless or light kit and move on, to me this would not be worth the time or energy to argue, for what its worth I would not pass a house either that had blank plates where lighting outlets are required,

Good thing your not an inspector cause nec says blanks are ok

JohnE

mpd said:

Agreed. As a contractor I pick my battles. But here in Utopia, we can discuss these issues.:D

celtic

mpd said:
jim w

I am an inspector, where does the NEC say blanks plates are OK

I thought the NEC was a "permissive" document...meaning that if it is not strictly prohibited, it's allowed.

Where does it say they are not "ok"?

Status
Not open for further replies.