Moonlighting

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Moonlighting

• The Customer - they get a great deal

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • The Employee - he makes extra cash

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • The Employer - he doesn''t have to pay as much, the difference is made up by moonlighting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nobody - moonlighting really screws up the industry

Votes: 34 64.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

iwire said:
Thanks and have both a safe and profitable new year. :)

Because as strange as you may find this I am not anti business.

not at all, big business pays your paycheck.

however, sometimes I think you are anti-me:) (can't blame you though, I am pretty damn opinionated about specific things;))

aline

I've heard mention of being an honest person while moonlighting illegally.

For guys who moonlight illegally.
Do you inform your customers that you're doing the work for them illegally?
Do you explain to them that you don't have the proper insurance?
Do you explain to them all the risks they are taking by having you do the work illegally?

If you're not explaining all this to the customer you're not being honest.
You're taking advantage of a customer that is unaware of the risks involved. A customer who may think you're doing everything legally not knowing that you're not licensed or have the proper insurance to do the work.

If the customer knows all this and still hires you thats one thing but if you are hiding this from him thats another.

You are taking advantage of a customer who doesn't know any better.
This is not being honest.

Would you be happy if you hired someone to work on your home who you thought was doing it legally and with the proper insurance only to find out he failed to inform you of this. If you're going to moonlight please explain all of the risks involved to the homeowner so they can make an informed decision as to whether its worth taking the risk to save a few bucks.

Last edited:

emahler

yanici said:
THE END:D I think?

i hope not, this is shaping up to be a good debate. I'd like to actually hear more thoughts from different people.

This site has an 80 page thread on switching a receptacle, but no one wants to talk about how to price switching that receptacle profitably.

without the money aspect, we all work for food.

celtic

aline said:
For guys who moonlight illegally.
Do you inform your customers that you're doing the work for them illegally?
Do you explain to them that you don't have the proper insurance?
Do you explain to them all the risks they are taking by having you do the work illegally?

If you're not explaining all this to the customer you're not being honest.

It's a little late in the thread to question a moonlighters "honesty", don't you think?

growler

iwire said:
Complaining about moonlighters here on this forum or ECN is not working to change the law.

Perhaps we should do it the normal way and collect money to bribe some politiciains. It's the American way.

Last edited:

aline

I know it's a bit late. I havn't been keeping up with this topic.

It's a good thread and I hope it continues.

I found it funny to read a post where someone stated they know what they're doing is illegal but also stated in another post they're really an honest guy just making a living. :)

Is it possible to do something illegal and be honest too?

emahler

a question to everyone who is in stickboys position, or agrees with his thinking (not pointed directly at you stick, but i don't want to describe your situation when you already did)

if your boss finds out you are moonlighting, should he have the right to fire you for it?

romexking

Code:
That leaves the consumer out in the cold that is willing to pay for a qualified contractor and wants permits and inspections.

The problem with that statement is that the consumer is generally unaware of the permitting requirements. We are dealing with customers that don't have a clue about electrical systems, and the dangers involved. All they know is that they are getting it a little cheaper.

Would it be fair to say that a lot of apprentices perform side work? I think so. Do you think they are fully qualified to perform all of the work involved in a person's home? Do you think that if a situation arises, that apprentice will say to the homeowner " I don't know how to do this, you should call a licensed contrator? No...they will try to perform the work, with a possible disasterous outcome.

My oppositition to side work is two-fold. 1. I want to protect my right to perform work profitably with out being undercut by hacks, and 2nd I am concerned for the safety of the customers.

As for being able to do whatever you want in your own home, keep in mind that the original person who performs unsafe installations, may not alway live there. Then the next H/O is at risk of property damage or personal injury because of the "right" to install unsafe electrical wiring.

Overkill

I have to make a confession: I aided moonlighters last year.

After a big snowstorm, 3 boys came to my door and offered to shovel my driveway for $10. I said "yes" gasp. I know, I know, I should of asked if they were licensed and insured, but I didnt. I probably should of turned in these hacks, these tax evading scoundrels that are killing the plowing industry.

Trades and bartering have been around in scocieties for thousanads of years and are probably a big part of mankinds sucess thus far. Its only when the government gets involved that screws everything up.

celtic

emahler said:
if your boss finds out you are moonlighting, should he have the right to fire you for it?

IMHO - YES

I can't say for any other state than NJ - but the law in NJ is that an EC lic., bus. permit, and appropiate ins. and bonding are REQUIRED to perform electrical work for compensation.

Having the HO pull a permit does not alleviate anyone from the requirements.

stickboy1375

emahler said:
a question to everyone who is in stickboys position, or agrees with his thinking (not pointed directly at you stick, but i don't want to describe your situation when you already did)

I'm his only employee, I think he would think twice...:) He knows I moonlite...

stickboy1375

romexking said:
Code:
That leaves the consumer out in the cold that is willing to pay for a qualified contractor and wants permits and inspections.

My opposition to side work is two-fold. 1. I want to protect my right to perform work profitably with out being undercut by hacks, and 2nd I am concerned for the safety of the customers.

Ive seen EC that are hacks, what makes you think a moonlighter is a hack, A hack EC will cut your throat also...

iwire

Staff member
emahler said:

If your taking work from the 'boss' maybe.

If the work is not taking from the boss no.

As long as your not taking the 'bosses' work or using the bosses truck or the bosses supplies it is none of their darn business what I do on my own time'

Most of the side jobs I see the other guys do are the result of contacts meet on the job and the comapny I work for has no issue with that.

mdshunk

Certainly any employer can. If, however, there is not a written agreement between the employee and the employer with regard to side work or non-compete (such as handbook or contract language), expect that the terminated employee will be able to collect unemployment compensation.

stickboy1375

aline said:
I know it's a bit late. I haven't been keeping up with this topic.

It's a good thread and I hope it continues.

I found it funny to read a post where someone stated they know what they're doing is illegal but also stated in another post they're really an honest guy just making a living. :)

Is it possible to do something illegal and be honest too?

I see it that way... A hack homeowner can do his own work, yet you don't complain, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc, sell parts and give advice on installing electrical, you don't complain, I come in, And I just committed the biggest crime of the century? Who's kidding who...

Status
Not open for further replies.