Quality Work II

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
You and my AHJ would be having a sitdown.

That would be cool, I could show him the light. :D

I would start with 90.2(A). 'This code covers the installation of electrical conductors and equipment'.

Other areas have made specific rules and amendments about CSST because they realized it is outside the scope of the NEC.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Usually they have a brass or bronze body but if teflon tape or pipe dope that makes them not so good as a a continous path even when installed.

Same reason EC's can't use TFE tape or pipe dope on conduit.

Please see 300.6(A)

It says something a lot different than you were led to believe.

ivsenroute

That would be cool, I could show him the light. :D

I would start with 90.2(A). 'This code covers the installation of electrical conductors and equipment'.

Other areas have made specific rules and amendments about CSST because they realized it is outside the scope of the NEC.

You are correct and this is a mechanical code issue. The CSST installer would be responsible for this connection.

HOWEVER, The electricians don't want any other trades making any connection in their panel until the job is complete so it is customary for the electrician to make this connection in our area. If they charge the other trade, I have no idea but they should.

This is why the electricians are notified along with the GC.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I think that job was a pretty good looking one.

Space, time, material?

Hey, if the GC and/or HO want to pay for it, go for it! We have and have had GC's that don't give a rat's patootie what it looks like and others that do.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
George,

I was pointing out that in 300.6(A) this is what it says -

Ferrous Metal Conduit. Ferrous metal raceways, cable trays, cablebus, auxillary gutters, cable armor, boxes, cable sheathing, cabinets, elbows, couplings, nipples, fittings, supports, and support hardware shall be suitably protected against corrosion inside and outside (except at joints) by a coating of corrosion esistant material. Where corrosion protection is necessary and the conduit is threaded in the field, the threads shall be coated with an approved electrically conductive, corrosion resistant material.

The poster was saying no pipe dope. I'm saying pipe dope is madatory per code. Yes, I know a lot of joints go together dry, but that doesn't make it right.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Is pipe dope electrically conductive? I'm visualizing the white plumber's tape when that term is used.

I imagine there's a correct product out there, I just haven't run enough rigid to need it. :)

ohm

Please see 300.6(A)

It says something a lot different than you were led to believe.

Pipe dope prevents water leaks (and good electrical conductivity) and is not allowed on conduit threads, per 300.6 (A). Conductive anti-corrosion compound i.e. Kopr-Shield etc., may be used on field-cut conduit threads.

~Shado~

Does look neat.

Waste of time? Only if not factored in bid, as OP stated, builder requires this type of install, so I would assume the EC did his job estimating it.
I would add about 2.5 hours extra for layout, punch, connectors, panel mounting, & stapling only....am I too far off?

Waste of space? I think so, I could use the extra space for more shelves, etc...

Dave

76nemo

Pipe dope prevents water leaks (and good electrical conductivity) and is not allowed on conduit threads, per 300.6 (A). Conductive anti-corrosion compound i.e. Kopr-Shield etc., may be used on field-cut conduit threads.

How many of you don't use pipe dope? And why not?

iwire

Staff member
How many of you don't use pipe dope? And why not?

Pipe dope is not required and I see no good reason to use it. RMC couplings have straight cut threads and are not intended to seal water tight.

Now, when working with RMC in areas that will require corrosion protection and field cutting threads we are required to use an approved electrically conductive, corrosion resistant material.

76nemo

Pipe dope is not required and I see no good reason to use it. RMC couplings have straight cut threads and are not intended to seal water tight.

Now, when working with RMC in areas that will require corrosion protection and field cutting threads we are required to use an approved electrically conductive, corrosion resistant material.

I understand that Bob. If you wanted outside work done at your own residence, and you did the work yourself, wouldn't you use it? That's what I meant. It's just an extra measure. If the spec's don't call for it, than fine. I use it, just wondering if anyone else did the same.

mdshunk

Are there any other products other than Kopr-Shield that are electrically conductive?
The guy I apprenticed under used a reddish-pink paste called "red lead". I haven't seen it for sale since the late 80's. I can only assume it had lead in it. I say use any kind of dope you want. The dope only fills in the interstitial spaces where there wouldn't otherwise be metal-to-metal contact. There's still plenty of metal to metal contact when any fitting is made up wrench tight. The dope just pushes out of the way and fills in the gaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.