Tub space and receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
Here are a couple of pictures from an inspection I went on today. Both pictures are of a master bathroom jet tub install.

First picture is of a TV alcove.

0720091453.jpg

Question, does the receptacle in the picture violate 406.8(C)?

How about this receptacle....

0720091453a.jpg

Thoughts?

Chris

Buck Parrish

Here are a couple of pictures from an inspection I went on today. Both pictures are of a master bathroom jet tub install.

First picture is of a TV alcove.

0720091453.jpg

Question, does the receptacle in the picture violate 406.8(C)?

How about this receptacle....

0720091453a.jpg

Thoughts?

Chris

I would be interested if the TV covers the entire outlet. So you would have to remove the tv to get to the outlet.
More people are doing this.

iwire

Staff member
I hate the thought of either and would not want to do it if I was asked.

That said I do not see the receptacle in picture 1 as being in the tub space.

raider1

Staff member
I hate the thought of either and would not want to do it if I was asked.

That said I do not see the receptacle in picture 1 as being in the tub space.

That is how I called it.

The first receptacle is not in the tub space and the receptacle in the second picture is directly over the tub, so they are going to move it over by installing a few 2x4 blocks.

I wanted to see how other people viewed this installation.

Chris

Jim W in Tampa

#1 is legal but i would refuse to install it. #2 is in violation by about 2 inches. Why is it so hard to get people to not see the hazard ? Part of reason i would not want to be an inspector.

dcspector

Fair enough, I think this install could be looked at in a couple of different ways.

Chris

Agreed Chris I look at the NEC as what is written. I am not a what if inspector as in let's say they do not install the TV but would it matter anyway, it is still within the tub space regardless.

guschash

This makes wonder why if you are in a hot tub the receptacle must be 6 feet away ( 680.43(A) ) but you can have one right next to the bath tub in the house. What am I missing here?

Jim W in Tampa

Don't care it it is 3' back it is still in the tub space Jim.

That is where the problem is. I and others see it as NOT TUB SPACE perhaps you see it differant. To me this is in a shelf space that is outside of tub space. Don't get me wrong i see it as stupid but legal. I would not like #2 either but if they move it to right 2 inches then it is outside.

dcspector

That is where the problem is. I and others see it as NOT TUB SPACE perhaps you see it differant. To me this is in a shelf space that is outside of tub space. Don't get me wrong i see it as stupid but legal. I would not like #2 either but if they move it to right 2 inches then it is outside.

No biggy Jim we all see that pesky code in different ways shelf or not it is still in that darn tub space.

T

taylorp

No biggy Jim we all see that pesky code in different ways shelf or not it is still in that darn tub space.

I agree with dcspector. A literal reading of 406.8(C) should lead a reasonable person to understand that both receptacles are within the tub "space." But the wording of 406.8(C)
is somewhat open to interpretation. Personally I think both receptacle locations are subject
to water intrusion, which could lead to shock, which is what the NEC is trying to prevent in my opinion.

electricmanscott

That is how I called it.

The first receptacle is not in the tub space and the receptacle in the second picture is directly over the tub, so they are going to move it over by installing a few 2x4 blocks.

I wanted to see how other people viewed this installation.

Chris

I agree with your call on both and would have no problem doing the installation.

I think we all know the alternative would be an extension cord run from the receptacle by the sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.