Wall Mount/ baseboard heater Code question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

210.11(C)(2) says receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F).

210.52(F) only requires 1 receptacle outlet.

What 210.11(C)(2) permits is more than 1 receptacle outlet to be installed on the required laundry branch circuit, but it does not require that all receptacles installed in the laundry area to be installed on that required circuit.

Chris

I agree with most of that.
Now tell me how a receptacle that is in the laundry room is not a laundry receptacle ?

Jim W in Tampa

What is laundry?

Is plugging in a radio while I fold my skivvies doing laundry?

Is plugging in a sewing machine laundry?

Is plugging in an iron doing laundry?

Chris

The iron sure is We could plug a radio in on a SA circuit too.
What was the point in them writing this the way they did if all they wanted was 1 circuit for the washer ? Would never been a reason to say circuitS or receptacleS
We could put all the outlets we want in it and take them off any circuit.

iwire

Staff member
The iron sure is We could plug a radio in on a SA circuit too.
What was the point in them writing this the way they did if all they wanted was 1 circuit for the washer ? Would never been a reason to say circuitS or receptacleS
We could put all the outlets we want in it and take them off any circuit.

Why are you assuming the requirement is for the washer?

I heard the requirement predates the common use of electric washers and was actually for irons.

Jim W in Tampa

Why are you assuming the requirement is for the washer?

I heard the requirement predates the common use of electric washers and was actually for irons.

I do not assume that and it is far from true. That is part of my point, we simply do not know where the iron be pluged in or anything else. As far as safety nothing bad will happen. Breakers trip and no shock hazard. Washers do not pull but a few amps and people use irons in any room they like. I did not write the code and do not agree with it often but i read it as they wrote it. We do not need to agree on this or any other codes. If we did then be no need for this forum. Should have been lawyer first as that helps with code.

iwire

Staff member
I do not assume that and it is far from true. That is part of my point, we simply do not know where the iron be pluged in or anything else. As far as safety nothing bad will happen. Breakers trip and no shock hazard. Washers do not pull but a few amps and people use irons in any room they like. I did not write the code and do not agree with it often but i read it as they wrote it. We do not need to agree on this or any other codes. If we did then be no need for this forum. Should have been lawyer first as that helps with code.

Jim, I am not busting chops here but I really have no idea what the issue is here.

The code requires a 20 amp circuit in the laundry area supplying at least one receptacle. It can supply a single receptacle or 800 receptacles as long as everyone of them is in the laundry area.

Once the required circuit is installed you can install as many additional circuits as you like.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Jim the code requires one circuit for the laundry. Yes? It can be the washer and still have three other outlets on the circuit but it cannot leave the laundry room.

I get to choose what the laundry circuit is. If I want the individual circuit to a washer to be the circuit req. then it is met. If I install other receptacles then they can be connected to cir. other than laundry.

I think the idea here is to have a good 20 amp circuit that can handle the washer and say an iron without an issue. If the iron is plugged into outlets that are not part of the laundry room then so be it.

I don't know if I am alone in this thinking but it is my opinion that the washer must be part of the laundry circuit. From there anything goes.

Jim W in Tampa

Jim, I am not busting chops here but I really have no idea what the issue is here.

The code requires a 20 amp circuit in the laundry area supplying at least one receptacle. It can supply a single receptacle or 800 receptacles as long as everyone of them is in the laundry area.

Once the required circuit is installed you can install as many additional circuits as you like.

Bob , it says we can have 1 or more receptacles on it. That we agree on. Part we don't agree is that it also said circuits meaning 1 or more. If you ran another circuit as in the OP then he has 3 more duplex receptacles on that other circuit that is a laundry circuit. Being it is a laundry circuit with 3 receptacle then that circuit can have no other outlets. I am trying hard to read it any other way. Lets wait for our other inspectors to make the call. And keep in mind passing does not always mean your code compliant just means your boss is happy.

peter d

With the trend towards ever increasing energy efficiency in appliances, I have no problem with putting multiple receptacles on the same laundry circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I do not really see any code language that says that the circuit must serve the washer.
Somehow I knew you would say this. If what you say is true then I can have a receptacle in the laundry for the washer that can exit the room as long as there is another circuit that does not.

Here is my thinking. 210.11(C)(2) states the circuit shall supply the laundry receptacle. IMO, that is the washer. It does not state that is shall supply the laundry room.

iwire

Staff member
If what you say is true then I can have a receptacle in the laundry for the washer that can exit the room as long as there is another circuit that does not.

Yes, and why is that bad?

The only reason that is 'bad' is that you have always had it in your mind that the circuit must be for the washer.

Here is my thinking. 210.11(C)(2) states the circuit shall supply the laundry receptacle.

The laundry area receptacle.

IMO, that is the washer.

There is nothing to support that and no reason to assume that.

Status
Not open for further replies.